Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moving from 15" to 17". Advice needed.

Moving from 15" to 17". Advice needed.
Quinn
Apr 17, 2004, 10:54 PM

So, with the next revision of the PowerBooks I plan on moving from my 500Mhz TiBook to either the 15" model or the 17". I've owned my TiBook for 3 years but its time to upgrade.

I've used the 12" PowerBook and whilst it a great machine, its just too small for my needs. I had planned to stay with the 15" size but someone suggested the 17" and I'm starting to give it some consideration. For the first 2 years I took my TiBook out on the road with me a lot but nowadays I find myself mainly using it in house. Even still, I don't want a desktop mac. I like being able to use my Mac anywhere in the house thanks to Airport and I do need to bring my mac with me to meeting etc from time to time.

I've not really played with the 17" model too much as its hard to find it in local stores. I initally thought it was too big but that was when I brought my TiBook with me everywhere. Now, I'm thinking of the extra screen size etc.

Have you moved from a 15" to a 17"? How do you find the 17" for use around the house, on the couch and for the occasional trip to meetings etc? Is it too big? Too awkward to have on your lap whilst sitting on the couch watching TV?

Does the extra screen size/resolution make that much differnce? Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks...

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 11:02 PM

screen size is a huge bonus. i usually keep my 17" plugged in, so maybe others can speak to that sort of use. as far as toting around, at least in a bag back and forth to work, it's no problem at all -- well worth it!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 11:30 PM

I had 3 Tis before moving to the 17. For the first month or so it felt big but I got used to it. It's so light for it's size I typically lug it around the house with one hand. It's also cooler so feels better on the lap and there's more space for your palms to rest and typing feels so much better like this.

I would like more pixels on screen though. 900 vertical pixels isn't quite enough. A proper 1600x1000 res screen (16:10 ratio) would be splendid.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 11:31 PM

The 17-inch is great, I couldn't live without the screen real-estate, although in reality it's not a whole lot bigger than the 15-inch. As far as physical size goes, it's not noticeably bigger than a folder full of papers, and a whole lot more fun

I've also had experience with the 12- and 15-inch Powerbooks and even the 15-inch feels small by comparison and you feel like something is missing! The 17-inch also seems to do a better job of keeping itself cool, larger surface area or something I guess, but then I don't run the processor at 100% all of the time (although I do 3D graphics work, video, general computing).

Some people criticize the battery life all too easily, but I find that I get 3.5-4hrs when not plugged in, with airport enabled and in use. This is for what I'd say is general computing - web browsing, emailing, typing up documents, etc., but nothing that runs the machine flat-out. I don't find this a problem.

I like that it's flat, good-looking and quiet. But you could say that about either of the three Powerbooks..... rumors have it that faster models are on the way sometime soon, so if that makes a difference to you, you might want to wait (although mine is a 1GHz and I'm in no hurry to upgrade).

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 12:13 AM

It sounds to me like you should get the 17". I have a 15" but I tour with it and/or take it back and forth from home to work. I also have a desktop machine with a 23" display at home, so I don't get that claustrophobic from the screen because I have a larger one to use when I'm home. If the PB is your only computer, you will probably want the screen real estate.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 18, 2004, 05:13 AM

The screen is great for writing an article or some other kind of text.
You can have 3 windows open at the same time. one for typing, one for searching for references and one that shows you an outline of your article.

Wouldn`t want to miss that.

The other issues like heat and better palm rests have already been mentioned. I guess that he next revisions are going to run a little hotter-so the bigger size definitely will come in handy.
As for travelling: the 17 is not that much bigger than the 15.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 07:10 AM

The only thing that keeps popping into my mind, especially when I was choosing the right model, was lugging that beast around, if your going to be doing a lot of traveling with it, you may tire carrying such a large laptop.

I've heard of people choosing the 15" just so they wouldn't get gawked at either, that 17" is quite an eye catcher. If you don't mind people doing that and size weight doesn't bother you go for it.

Mike
~Mike

SketchPad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:

I've heard of people choosing the 15" just so they wouldn't get gawked at either, that 17" is quite an eye catcher. If you don't mind people doing that and size weight doesn't bother you go for it.

Mike
Mike...you're right. I have the 17" model and I get bothered by
people ALL the time. And by bothered I mean...someone new
always discover me sitting there somewhere with my shiny 17" machine
and just HAVE to come up to me asking the basic questions about
how expensive, how cool, feel the weight...

....and then a lot of time is wasted on promoting the
product rather than using it...it's very annoying.
In the beginning it was rather flattering and kind of
entertaining...now it's just annoying.
People don't think much either....since they're "a-new-person" each
time....they get rather irritated by beeing "refused" every
time they appear with their annoying ongoing questions.

I sound rather irritable don't I? Well...if you have 20-30 persons
disrupting your work every day I bet you'd be pretty irritatable
as well.

Hmf....maybe I should start selling these things, at least
I'd get paid.

It's like carrying around a portable movie-star,
the next thing you know is that they'll probably
want to have the PowerBook's autograph.

/S
/SketchPad

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 10:53 AM

I hear ya, since I have a 20" cinema display at home, there's no need for the 17" Of course as I get older and I need a "little" help seeing the things on the display the 17" is looking better
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules