Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why is my iPhone not a phone?

Why is my iPhone not a phone?
williamappleseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2009, 04:54 PM

Greetings all

I have read almost everything and watched all the WWDC stuff and I don't think I heard the "phone" function on the iPhone mentioned. I hate to say it but my 16GB iPhone 3G (now on my third one) still drops calls--people tell me they have rang me--I don't get the call or even a "missed call" message. The coverage (O2 UK) is patchy in places where I used to get a solid signal on my old phones--sometimes signal strength is nil. My iPhone still gives me a blank screen at times, and at other times just locks up and the only fix is to try and force it to quit and then restart.
I am now using an old Motorola Razr and yes you guessed correctly --it just works. I can ring people and they can ring me--great success!
I love my iPhone- for everything else-if only the phone bit worked better.
Anyhoo all this is very frustrating for an Apple evangelist like me who preaches the gospel of MAC to friends and co workers alike.

So Again Apple--what about the phone bit! Any chance?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 05:00 PM

I agree to some extent... the phone part of the iPhone is pretty terrible!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 06:48 PM

I think all of the issues you mentioned are AT&T issues that have nothing to do with the iPhone handset.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I think all of the issues you mentioned are AT&T issues that have nothing to do with the iPhone handset.
Its a bit tricky to get AT&T signal in the UK!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 06:54 PM

Except that he's in Northern Ireland on 02 UK...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 07:07 PM

Anyone who calls a Mac a MAC can't be all that much of an evangelist.

Sounds to me like he's got a duff phone. I'm on the Rogers network here in Toronto and I've yet to drop a call.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2009, 07:22 PM

I hope this isn't true for every area of the UK. I would be disappointed.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2009, 07:28 PM

I think you need your status as a "professional poster" revoked. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you didn't read his post.

Either way you're a *********. Is it just me or is the quality of our "veteran" posers...oops I mean.. POSTERS going downhill?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I think you need your status as a "professional poster" revoked. You clearly don't know what you're talking about or you didn't read his post.

Either way you're a *********. Is it just me or is the quality of our "veteran" posers...oops I mean.. POSTERS going downhill?
Somebody crap in your muesli this morning?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2009, 07:37 PM

I'm in N. Ireland also (on 02) - the occasional dropped call .. no where near as often what you experience.

chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2009, 08:26 PM

I live in London, and I have the same problems as the OP: I'll often suddenly get a voice mail without the phone having rung for the original call (despite having full bars). I've lost business because of this unfortunate tendency, but I suspect that O2 is to blame, rather than the iPhone (I had the exact same problems with three generations of O2 "own-brand" XDA phones).

Chas

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2009, 09:56 PM

It sounds like, in a vein similar to what chabig mentioned (but with an eye for where you're reporting having the problems), that O2's network isn't up to snuff.

I have had stellar service from AT&T, as has my friend with a 3G iPhone-which is why I ordered a 3GS. Dropped calls are rare here, and the service area is (this may hurt you folks) is huge. I can be way out in the hinterland and still get great phone service, plus at least good data service in most places. Many of these experiences have been with my (frankly "see this cool toy"-type) friend, and his iPhone has performed superbly.

So don't blame the phone, complain to O2. Loudly. Make a fuss, and even get newspapers involved. Shame them into at least taking responsibility for not giving you the level of service you're paying for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules