Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need to copy large amount of data

Need to copy large amount of data
the_badger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2015, 08:04 AM

I need to copy a large amount of an architect's files from an old La Cie SAS array on their old MM server to a new La Cie Thunderbolt array on a new MM server.

I have tried all the various modes in Interarchy, but all fail at some stage or another, generally on encountering an item called either A:V or A:C. I cannot find these items in Finder.

Is there an app or more sophisticated script that I can use that will do the copy that will not:
1: stop dead on filename errors
2: give me a list of items that were not copied for further and later attention

There is about 6Tb of data to copy.
Thanks

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2015, 08:29 PM

use rsync in the terminal.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 23, 2015, 09:58 PM

Are your SAS array backed up to a RAID somewhere? You could restore from backup to the Thunderbolt array. Assuming no errors along the way, you wouldn't need to pull from the old SAS array.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2015, 05:00 PM

Carbon Copy Cloner?

I use it with my 3TB drive all the time. Love it. Easy and super reliable.
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2015, 05:13 PM

I second the suggestion that you try CCC. It's possible it will let you copy all the files but just skip the ones with inappropriate filenames I can't believe they named files with ":" characters, that's a big no-no on any platform and they should have known better. (Same way you know not to name files with a / or \ etc.) Anyway, I can't think of anything other than CCC which might help you as the Mac just isn't going to play well with those files. CCC will give you an error log so you'll be able to tell what wasn't copied.

Alternative solution is to use Virtual Box or another piece of VM software to install an OS that doesn't freak-out over those file-names, then rename all those files correctly, at which point your copy should proceed properly.

Not much help, but hopefully it will get you pointed in the right direction...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
use rsync in the terminal.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2015, 07:13 PM

Using rsync will allow you to transfer the data directly from server A to server B without having to first make a copy of the data into a disk image.

Forum Links
Forum Rules