Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Kernel Panic and Pioneer a-103 DVD burner

Kernel Panic and Pioneer a-103 DVD burner
elfmund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 09:22 PM

i have a PowerMac G4 400 AGP graphics machine.. i began to freak out when i first got it because Kernel Panics would appear as totally random events.. finally i found a web page which stated that some people had problems with Firmware over 1.49 (i think) in OsX...

the guy who sold me the computer and the drive said he had just recently upgraded the firmware to 2.00 which is "not downgradable" according to Pioneer.com

if this is true.. what the hell can i do ??

no way in hell i'm going to put my Superdrive into my PC, and i'm not going to sacrifice the stability of my computer for a DVD burning option

..... sorry for the rant, but here is a compilation of what is bothering me about this drive.. hope you can help

1. Kernel Panicks appear and are not related to any particular application or command.

2. After burning or installing of software my Superdrive does not open its tray even if i press the eject button on the keyboard, the button on the superdrive's front ... only thing i can do then is reboot...

The drive "works" and burns DVD's perfectly but this flaw, i.e. the kernel panicks and the drive not opening when asked to are too much for me to overlook...

any help is greatly appreciated especially since i switched from the M$ world last month

Forum Links
Forum Rules