Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual Vid Output on 15" AluBook?

Dual Vid Output on 15" AluBook?
AdamSomers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 06:01 PM

I just bought my first mac, ever. It's also my first laptop. It's in the mail and I'm very excited. I am a harcore PC user, and have always used two 17" monitors for screen space using music software. Is there a way to get two VGA outputs out of the powerbook to utilize my 2 monitors, rather than using the widescreen display +1 monitor? A PCI card, maybe, or some firewire knick-knack? I'd like to bluetooth a keyboard + mouse, integrating the laptop into my workstation, and take it on the road when I need to.

P.S. Thanks to these forums, which I've been reading for months. If not for the predictions of the new 15"er, I'd probably have wasted my $ on a 17" or gone half-assed with the 12". =]

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 06:42 PM

Try here. This is a link to information about a few different PC card video outputs available. The VillageTronic one looks like an excellent choice - 32 MB of DDR VRAM, DVI and VGA output, and the ability to use a virtual desktop larger than your actual screen (I don't know how useful that would be but it seems neat). $250.

Also, if you want to make your laptop integrate really well with your work space, you might want to consider a port replicator/dock. Bookendz makes docks for PowerBooks. Their latest one for the 12" PowerBook looks pretty cool but they don't have any that work with the 15" AlBook yet.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules