Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15".. Waiting, panicing, please advise

15".. Waiting, panicing, please advise
AdamSomers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 07:49 PM

I ordered my 15"al on october 10th. My order status reports that it will be shipped 'on or before oct 24th'. Somehow I am hoping that it will come as late as possible, so as to feel at ease that an extra week has been spent working out countless bugs I have been reading about with this item. This will be my first Mac and first laptop, ever. I am very concerned about having to war with Apple over such bugs as the keyboard, the latch, the lid, the display, battery life, etc., especially considering the fact that they reportedly don't freely make replacements of units that many consider to be DOA after having payed $2500 for the 'dream laptop'. I hope this dream does not turn into a nightmare. I've even considered dropping the order and waiting for rev 2 (but god knows when that will come about). Advice?

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 07:57 PM

After dealing with apple and the first gen ever of ti i would be very hesitant of doing anything first gen with them. Also, just becasue of the sheer number of people who are having problems i would either cancel the order and wait, or cancel the order and get the 17 model if you can afford it. The only reason i hesitate to post this is becasue i bought the first gen 17" and couldnt be happier with it. There are very few problems with it, and i will most likely keep this baby for quite some time. Feel free to IM me at IdenityCrisis109 if you want to chat.

My two cents...
Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 07:58 PM

I ordered my 15" Al the day after they were announced.

Mine is perfect.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
I ordered my 15" Al the day after they were announced.

Mine is perfect.
I would consider yourself lucky. Where I work we have sold 7 of them and 5 have come bcak to us defective. We are trying to deal with apple as each time people return them it costs our family owned buisness quite a bit of money.

Justin

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Mobile Mod:
I would consider yourself lucky. Where I work we have sold 7 of them and 5 have come bcak to us defective. We are trying to deal with apple as each time people return them it costs our family owned buisness quite a bit of money.

Justin
I think we should start inquiring as to how people recieved their machines.

I think we'll see a relation between machines shipped poorly, and screen damage.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
I think we should start inquiring as to how people recieved their machines.

I think we'll see a relation between machines shipped poorly, and screen damage.

That is a good point but I kinda doubt that the shipping process is to blame for my customers. The reason I say this is becasue two of the pbs were shipped Speedy, two were Airborne, and three were shipped via FedEX. I know that apple insures the PB's, so they are considered "high value" and thus get treated with even more care. But, this could be something...

Justin

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 08:38 PM

I used to work behind a Airborne Express depot. They just let packages it the ground from the belt that moves the boxes. They tend to be very rough on packages. Fedex is much better and does handle high $$ differently.

93TT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 09:14 PM

Yeah, I got visions of the opening scene in Ace Ventura when thinking about my powerbook in transit. I'm glad I cancelled my web order and bought at the local Apple store. Do you think most defects are caused by Airborne? Just a thought.
15" PB 1.25Ghz
14" PB 266Mhz
Biege 333Mhz

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 09:49 PM

I got mine and its near perfect. I have no regrets in getting it.

Mike

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:00 PM

It's only human to report defects publicly with more frequency than they actually occur. It's also human to worry as a result!

There ARE problems--and they ARE rare. MOST people get a prefect PB. So... just what % have problems? Nobody can give you that number.

What you can know is that waiting will improve your odds. I too would much rather wait a month or two. Rev B is best--but if you do get a Rev A, at least don't get one of the very first units.

I'd cancel, then re-order in a month. Side-benefit: you'll get Panther in the box instead of having to update!

Or do what I'm considering: look at the 17"! It's already a Rev B.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules