Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Two optical drives in a B+W G3?

Two optical drives in a B+W G3?
popheader
Dec 2, 2004, 08:44 AM

Hi- after an unsuccesful search for my question, I thought I would ask the people here if my Powermac G3 Server B+W can handle 2 optical drives. I recently bought this B+W and added an upgraded CPU 600 G4 and ordered a superdrive too. What I need to know is if I can add the superdrive to the lower slot below the cd rom or would I have to replace the cd rom with the new drive. I would like to have 2 cd roms so I can make copies of my cd's to use in my car. Any help welcome. Thanks.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by popheader:
Hi- after an unsuccesful search for my question, I thought I would ask the people here if my Powermac G3 Server B+W can handle 2 optical drives. I recently bought this B+W and added an upgraded CPU 600 G4 and ordered a superdrive too. What I need to know is if I can add the superdrive to the lower slot below the cd rom or would I have to replace the cd rom with the new drive. I would like to have 2 cd roms so I can make copies of my cd's to use in my car. Any help welcome. Thanks.
It's do-able, but will involve modifying the drive bracket using a hack saw and the facia may look messy unless you can source another drive cover with a button on it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 8, 2004, 11:39 AM

The answer, basically, is no. (It's the kind of question where if you have to ask, the question is no, hehe.) The slot below the CD-ROM drive is only large enough for a zip drive.

Just get an external FireWire drive instead of replacing the internal.

tooki

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
The answer, basically, is no. (It's the kind of question where if you have to ask, the question is no, hehe.) The slot below the CD-ROM drive is only large enough for a zip drive.

Just get an external FireWire drive instead of replacing the internal.

tooki
I've seen it done

But yes, the bottom drive space is designed for a Zip drive and thus too small without heavy modification.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 02:46 AM

Yes, I know it can be done. But if the person has to ask, it's probably beyond their experience level to make those modifications.

tooki

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 09:20 AM

If all you want to do is make copies of CD's for the car. Butchering your G3 is a bit much. Its a snap to take out the CD Rom and put in the superdrive. It will work fine. Making copies of your CD's will just take a few more minutes on one drive instead of two. iTunes or toast can do this in one pass. Just import the CD and burn it.

brucejy
Dec 15, 2004, 06:55 AM

A few years ago, there were a few websites that showed how to install two 5.25 inch drives in QS2001 and DA machines. A great deal of metal work was involved. Further, I recall that one person found that his upper drive then regularly malfunctioned due to heat issues. I looked into doing this in my own QS2001 and decided against it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules