Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > burning a slideshow to cd(iLife + photoshop elements)

burning a slideshow to cd(iLife + photoshop elements)
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 01:38 PM

i have looked and looked and all i want to do is burn a slide show to CD not DVD. think kodak photo cd.

the only i have found so far is to make a slideshow in iphoto move it to imovie add sound and then to idvd and then burn to dvd and then figure out on my own how to get it to cd(or something like that), this seems needlessly complex. am i missing something? is there i simple way to burn a photoslideshow to cd. i had a pc before and just used nero, but that is not an option now.

also i have adobe photoshop elements 3. if there is a way to do it using APE3 that would be great as well.

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 01:44 PM

Toast can burn Video CD's. VHS quality but they work on most of the new DVD players.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 02:17 PM

i dont want to burn a video cd i want to burn a photo cd, like the kodak photo cd's.

so basicly there is no way to burn a basic photo cd using a mac? that doesnt even seem possible.

here is the kodak photo cd page.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...nd&M=aboutland

i have burned ton of these using nero on windows 98. i just always assumed that iphoto or at least adobe photoshop elements would be able to do it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Kodak PhotoCD slideshow, so I can't tell you what would be the Mac equivalent.

But, if you're going thru the whole iMovie deal, you could easily just save/export your iMovie-enhanced slideshow as a QuickTime file (complete with music and fancy transitions). Then it would play on any Mac or PC with QuickTime installed. You don't need to go through the iDVD step if you don't want a set-top DVD player compatible disc.

I looked through the Kodak page you linked and I see an "auto-run slideshow" function. As indicated on the website, this is a Windows-only feature - basically, a CD-ROM full of pictures with an autoexec application on it (launched automatically by Windows upon insertion of the CD). Since this is really Windows application, and not really anything special about the Kodak PhotoCD format itself, there isn't any Mac-based software that will create such computer code that I'm aware of.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 04:24 PM

Note that Kodak "Picture CD" is a different format from Kodak "PhotoCD", which was an older format with a very rigid system. The Picture CD is much simpler, basically just a folder full of jpegs.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Kodak PhotoCD slideshow, so I can't tell you what would be the Mac equivalent.

But, if you're going thru the whole iMovie deal, you could easily just save/export your iMovie-enhanced slideshow as a QuickTime file (complete with music and fancy transitions). Then it would play on any Mac or PC with QuickTime installed. You don't need to go through the iDVD step if you don't want a set-top DVD player compatible disc.

I looked through the Kodak page you linked and I see an "auto-run slideshow" function. As indicated on the website, this is a Windows-only feature - basically, a CD-ROM full of pictures with an autoexec application on it (launched automatically by Windows upon insertion of the CD). Since this is really Windows application, and not really anything special about the Kodak PhotoCD format itself, there isn't any Mac-based software that will create such computer code that I'm aware of.
ok, i think the quick time way is going to have to be the way.

the photo cd thing i was thinking about is a cd rom that will play on computers(though i never tried one on a mac), and some set top dvd players but is different from a vcd. so like when you order cds from snapfish or similar services it will be that kind of cd. after doing more research it looks like nero burning rom is one of the few programs that lets users make thier own such cd's.

do i need to get quicktime pro or can i do it with the bundled software?

Forum Links
Forum Rules