Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Moving an iTunes library to and from a Mac & PC @ Work & home

Moving an iTunes library to and from a Mac & PC @ Work & home
rod.torr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 10:54 AM

I have a colleague who wants to use his iTunes Library, kept on an external firewire HD at work (which in itself is a backup of the iTunes Library on his work Sony Vaio) on his home Machine, a B&W G3 Mac.
Is this possible; i.e. is the iTunes music folder, which is the only thing backed up on the external drive from the Sony Vaio, cross-platform? I know the music files probably are, and some of the iTunes specific files should be as I think they are .xml format.
But does anyone have a definitive answer for this or another way/workaround to make it work?
I guess he'd like to be able to move the external HD between the two machine if possible.

P.S The firewire drive is mac compatible (OSX sees it natively) and PC formatted so there should be no probs there. I believe all the music has been ripped from his personal CD collection, none as far as I'm aware has been purchased from the iTunes or anyone else's store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules