Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NeoOffice/J 1.1 released!

NeoOffice/J 1.1 released!
VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 11:17 PM

It's official! After 6 months.... Neo/J is outta beta! The first official release...

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php

(this is basically a heavily OS-X optimized OpenOffice.org-based open-source FREE office suite. File compatible w/MS Office.)

Enjoy.
W

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 07:00 AM

is it only the full download, no upgrade paths? drat!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 09:45 AM

This is an outstanding product. This release brings a number of bug fixes and enhancements. Also noticed in the release notes for the first time, that NeoOffice also opens WordPerfect files. I didn't realize that previously.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2005, 12:23 PM

I don't think it did open WP files before...

As far as upgrade paths.. I think this requires a new download from the beta, but subsequent patches should be small...

W

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 08:21 PM

It is *really* slow loading. (i.e. in minutes, not seconds) There are also a lot of annoying pauses and so forth. It's interesting. But will anyone be using it as their prime system?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 09:00 PM

I don't think MS Office exists in my native, but NeoOfficeJ does. I like it alot. I started with the original under X11, but NeoOfficeJ had better font support. Haven't regretted moving over. I am just a casual Office user, so the OOo products is a good alternative for me instead of spending a fortune on MS Office.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2005, 09:04 PM

First time it loads is a little slower, but after that it's decent. Luckily, it's OS X and you don't have to close it It just gets swapped when not being used...

BTW there is a patch already ("patch-0") to fix something that wasn't properly included in the final build (an alias from the Preferences menu to "Tools"-->"Options"). It doesn't fix a crasher or anything, but w/o out, the Preferences option goes nowhere...

And yes, it's the only *Office I have on my machine.

Reads word perfect files too...

W

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 05:18 AM

The patch 0 is so small its ridiculous! But now it should all work!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:23 AM

Meh. It's in Java right ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 06:11 AM

yeah its in java, but it works well and is looking and working better with every release (which seeing as its only 2 guys, is pretty swift work)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Meh. It's in Java right ?
It uses Java to overcome the X11 version's various shortcomings. It's not really "in" Java though.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 10:47 AM

Is there a critical review of this anywhere? I tried it and wasn't too impressed, but didn't have time to investigate fully. I'm most interested in Impress (Powerpoint).

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 12:07 PM

No, it's not "in Java". It's 99% C++. It uses Java only to replace the X11 stuff-- since Java has built-in integration w/Aqua, it displays stuff to the screen using Java routines rather than requiring you to have X11 running.

W

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 01:29 PM

Excellent... iIsaw this about a year ago on macslash. I love OOo on Windows and Linux but hated it with OS X due to the X11 stuff.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 04:04 PM

if it's loading in minutes on your system, i'd take the machine in to get it looked at - it's not a snappy loader, but on my ibook it's up and running in about twenty seconds the first time after a restart, maybe ten seconds after that. neither is ideal, but let's not get too carried away. if it's taking minutes to load your computer must be pretty sick (or old enough to remember the moon landing).

i use neo/j as my only word processor / spreadsheet app and have never had any problems. its compatibility with other apps has been great in my experience, it's been perfectly stable, and it does everything i have ever wanted it to do. my only gripe would be that it's not the sexiest suite in the world - that said, the prettiness factor isn't about to get me to shell out for office.

i wouldn't hesitate to recommend neo/j - worst case scenario you can give it a whirl and if it doesn't float your boat you can delete it again, no worriees, cos it's free.

sminch

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sminch

i use neo/j as my only word processor / spreadsheet app and have never had any problems.

i wouldn't hesitate to recommend neo/j - worst case scenario you can give it a whirl and if it doesn't float your boat you can delete it again, no worriees, cos it's free.

sminch

What he said. I use Neo/J all the time on my 1.42 Mini. No complaints about startup time - about 20 seconds in my case too. No doubt the Java dependency slows down startup somewhat, but I prefer that to having to fire up an X server.

Living in a multiplatform house, I like the fact it runs on all the platforms I care about - Mac, Linux and Windows. It has much more functionality than AppleWorks and it's compatible with Office file formats. I give it a big thumbs-up.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 07:58 PM

On their site, they say Neo/j opens most Word documents.

Does it do track changes? Don't really want to download just to find that out.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 08:20 PM

Yes it does track changes. And by the way-- as far as the load times go.. I think the very first time you run it after installing, it takes a little while cuz it sets up preference files and configures itself and stuff... then, subsequent to that, first time you run after a reboot is a little slower because it loads Java stuff. But I've found that after loading 1x, load times decrease a lot....

so.. from what I've noticed (not scientific, but anyway...0

(a) first time ever running takes a while (cuz of creating preferences..)

then...

(b) first time after a reboot is faster cuz of java
(c) subsequent restarts after java is loaded is fastest.

note this is on a 3-year old powerbook with 768MB.. I would guess it's a lot faster on modern macs w/more memory.

W

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:26 PM

I get quite slow start-ups, but then again I'm pretty sure its cos the Java gets chucked everytime/I use it so infrequently that I don't get the benefit.

Otherwise, its a very capable suite, and I'm getting to grips with the slight differences in Impress.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 11:25 PM

any way to make it stop looking so damned ugly? the icons are hideous, as is the background on the menu bars etc

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 12:07 AM

One of you early adopters willing to write up a little review? I use Word in the corporate world. Would this be more compatible than office for the Mac?

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E
any way to make it stop looking so damned ugly? the icons are hideous, as is the background on the menu bars etc
Actually, there are alternate icon sets, which you can find by searching in the neooffice forums... I think there's a screenshot in the wiki, which is down at the moment due to a major /.ing.

As far as compatibility goes, I've heard some files that didn't load right in MS Office for Mac were successfully loaded w/Neo/J, but as far as whether it's better overall I can't say (haven't never used MS Office for Mac since Word 6.1...)

W

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2005, 03:23 AM

i've only transfered a few files from office to neo/j and vice versa, and haven't had any problems - that said, my sample size is literally three or four docs with no complex formatting, so i'd hardly rate that as conclusive.

sminch

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 04:18 AM

The real beauty of OO.o and NO/J is that they will open Word docs that even Word can't open anymore because it's corrupted the file to hell.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 09:18 PM

Here is an interesting article about OO replacing FrameMaker, but with direct application to NeoO/j. Of course, we know it can't replace FM, but there are some crucial issues that make it worth looking at more closely.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2005, 08:42 AM

I finally downloaded it (I had an early beta release). With a dial-up connection it took 10 1/2 hours. But what else would my computer do on Saturday? Anyway in the next few days I hope to actually use it!
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog

Butch Hauke
Jun 27, 2005, 10:19 PM

One item of note for those of you who have installed Neo Office: it installs 4 fonts, and one of them gets reported as corrupt by FontBook. I can't remember the name of the font off the top of my head. Anyway, I hate when apps install fonts without letting me know.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2005, 11:24 PM

Opening the NeoOfficeJ.pkg with Pacifist, I found the following fonts:
opens___.ttf
Vera.ttf
VeraBd.ttf
VeraBl.ttf
VeraIt.ttf
VeraMoBd.ttf
VeraMoBl.ttf
VeraMoIt.ttf
VeraMono.ttf
VeraSe.ttf
VeraSeBd.ttf
So there you go.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 28, 2005, 12:12 AM

To uninstall, just drag the NeoOffice/J application from the Finder into the Mac OS X trash can.
Excellent. I will give it a whirl then. I don't want to install an application that's going to leave junk everywhere.

I already have a legal licence for MS Office, but what the hey...

EDIT:

Oh wait. If I install this, then uninstall it, is it easy to remove the extraneous fonts?

Butch Hauke
Jun 28, 2005, 12:30 AM

Opening the NeoOfficeJ.pkg with Pacifist, I found the following fonts:

opens___.ttf
Vera.ttf
VeraBd.ttf
VeraBl.ttf
VeraIt.ttf
VeraMoBd.ttf
VeraMoBl.ttf
VeraMoIt.ttf
VeraMono.ttf
VeraSe.ttf
VeraSeBd.ttf

So there you go.
opens___.ttf is the one that FontBook says is corrupt. And yes, they're easy enough to remove, but NeoOffice will reinstall them again if you launch it and they're missing. Why can't it just leave them in it's own package?

Butch

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shades of Gray
I finally downloaded it (I had an early beta release). With a dial-up connection it took 10 1/2 hours. But what else would my computer do on Saturday? Anyway in the next few days I hope to actually use it!
I hope you are not paying minute taxes, like the dial-up norm is here.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

No, my internet access is unlimited (no extra charges, no long distance charges), even if at a snail's pace!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
On their site, they say Neo/j opens most Word documents.

Does it do track changes? Don't really want to download just to find that out.
FWIW, the track changes is also compatible with MS Office's tracking so you can view changes in .doc files as well.

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Why can't it just leave them in it's own package?
Presumably because they wouldn't work!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
One of you early adopters willing to write up a little review? I use Word in the corporate world. Would this be more compatible than office for the Mac?
Unlikely - while the compatibility is very good, it is not perfect. Then again, neither is it between various versions of MS Office, so there we go

Butch Hauke
Jun 29, 2005, 07:54 PM

Presumably because they wouldn't work!
Don't see why not. Print Shop has tons of fonts within it's own package, and they work fine. This is a valid font location, as far as I know. Of course, these fonts are never available to other applications.

Butch

Forum Links
Forum Rules