Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Serial ATA Card

Serial ATA Card
smithz4096
Nov 16, 2005, 05:23 AM

Hi techheads,

i am thinking about getting an Serial-ATA PCI-Card (Sonnet Tempo SATA or Seritek 1S2 - both cards are made by seritek) for my Quicksilver G4.

First, the original internal HD's are too noisy. Second, the internal ATA-Bus is limited to 127MB HD. So purchasing a new silent 250 ATA HD wouldn't help.

But the main question for me is: Is it possible to use 1 HD connected to the Serial-ATA exclusively, means NO HDs connectzed to the internal ATA-Bus ?

LgX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 01:11 PM

Short answer is yes.

My quicksilver (DP 1Ghz) has two SeriTeks. ATA bus not used.
Avoid older Hitachi SATA drives (250 & 400), they are not compatible with latest Firmtek boards (hotplug ones) (I think)

Lgx

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 19, 2005, 07:00 AM

Thanks!

I just installed my Sonnet Tempo Serial ATA Card (Manufactured by Seritek)...
Now i have to get a 250MB HD - Samsung OR a Seagate, i'm still not sure which is better.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2005, 05:51 PM

Seagate has a 5 year warranty, Samsung doesn't.
Newegg loves you.

new newton
Banned
Nov 19, 2005, 08:20 PM

Warranties are wonderful when the drive dies. Most people, however, prefer that the drive not die.

That said, when I put a couple of SATA drives in my DA, I went with Maxtors. My opinion of Maxtor's drives manufactured a few years ago is pretty dim, but everything I've read has said that this latest crop is supposed to be significantly better.

I'd have recommended Seagate a year ago, but over this last year I've heard increasing negative experiences with them. Some of the warranty exchange tales are doozies, too!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 10:12 AM

Go for it. I have a 2 Seriteks + 2 SATA Maxtors + 2 WD Raptors in my smurf box, notta problemo

ie....only optical drives on ata bus, no HDD's
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 24, 2005, 07:00 AM

Finally, I got the a Seagate 250MB SATA and everything runs perfectly!
The drive is very quiet, great. And it's fast too.
Now, I'm hunting down the noisy fans in my machine. The CPU-Fan makes the case vibrate,... grrr..

Forum Links
Forum Rules