Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Pro Keyboard in OS9

Apple Pro Keyboard in OS9
smithz4096
Nov 21, 2005, 04:36 PM

Heyho,

i just got a brandnew Apple Pro Keyboard for my G4. I use OS X and OS 9 on a regular basis. Now I noticed that this keyboard is not supported 100% in OS 9, damnit!
The first downside is, the volume-key, F16 AND the eject-button are not usable. But that's not the real problem, i use the little app "Eject" on F15 and everything's fine.

BUT: The "<" and ">" Keys aren't working in OS 9. I use a german Keyboard, so the "<" and ">" are located left to "y"... So in this current state this keyboard is unusable for me.

And YES, I have read on the Packaging: Requires 10.2.8. or later... :-/

Is there a patched driver for this keyboard or anything that makes it work flawless in OS 9 ?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2005, 05:23 PM

Whoa now -- a new "Apple Keyboard" or "Apple Pro Keyboard"? The former, which is the currently available model, is not OS 9 compatible. The Pro Keyboard (which has been discontinued for over two years) does support OS 9.

tooki

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2005, 05:42 PM

Regular keys such as < and > should work fine. Special keys don't have to. Also, please check if you have chosen the correct language for the keyboard.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 21, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Regular keys such as < and > should work fine. Special keys don't have to. Also, please check if you have chosen the correct language for the keyboard.
Tooki, it's the current generation Apple Keyboard. (no "pro")

Hmm, i think language-settings are correct here, because all keys EXCEPT those "<>" work perfectly... gnarl...

I have to get a used pro-keyboard i guess. I never expected an USB Keyboard to be incompatible. :-(

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2005, 08:48 PM

I find it weird, too!

That said, I wouldn't bother with an Apple keyboard. Get some other brand that either needs no drivers, or has drivers for OS 9 as well. (My Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro, for example, has superb drivers for every OS.)

tooki

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by smithz4096

Hmm, i think language-settings are correct here, because all keys EXCEPT those "<>" work perfectly... gnarl...

I have to get a used pro-keyboard i guess. I never expected an USB Keyboard to be incompatible. :-(
I'm surprised, too. I would still check whether or not you have set the key encoding correctly. Another thing you could do is get the `Tastaturübersicht' (it's a miniature keyboard which shows you the location of each key. If you press modifier keys (Apple, control, etc.), then the layout changes to the keys which are available.

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 21, 2005, 09:31 PM

I'm most surprised! :-)

Well, i really like the minimal design of the apple-keyboard, that's why i try sticking to apple-keyboards. I even removed the clear plastic shell of the keyboard to reduce the design even more - and it looks great AND nothing (like dust, crumbs, etc.) can end in this crystal housin.

Those M$ Keyboards doesn't really match my taste. But, hey, I'll have a look anyway.

In a weak minute, i think this keyboard fails in 9 because apple did this to annoy the last OS9-Users out there :-)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2005, 05:18 AM

Ferndiagnose:

Your keyboard is broken.

There is, AFAIK, no reason why that key shouldn't work under OS 9. AFAIK, all keys work except for the volume and eject keys.

Take it to a store or a friend and hook it up to a machine running OS X, and you will probably find that the "<" key doesn't work at all.

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 22, 2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Ferndiagnose:
Your keyboard is broken.

Take it to a store or a friend and hook it up to a machine running OS X, and you will probably find that the "<" key doesn't work at all.
Well, i may add that instead of "<" and ">" i get "^" and "°" on these keys in OS9. Checked on an G4 (9.22 fresh install) and my trusty old ibook 2001 (9.22)
The Keyboard is german, the OS is german and i can use umlauts etc. pp. EXCEPT those damn < and >. Those "<>" are now located left to the "1" key.

I think it's possible to remap some keys via a resedit session, anyone?

Right now, this keyboard works perfectly in OS X only.

OreoCookie
Nov 22, 2005, 07:56 AM

How about the Tactile Pro by Matias? It's certainly not cheap, but the design resembles Apple's own design and the quality is very good.

They are still `in the process' of making a version with German keyboard layout

OreoCookie
Nov 22, 2005, 08:06 AM

Well, i may add that instead of "<" and ">" i get "^" and "°" on these keys in OS9. Checked on an G4 (9.22 fresh install) and my trusty old ibook 2001 (9.22)
The Keyboard is german, the OS is german and i can use umlauts etc. pp. EXCEPT those damn < and >. Those "<>" are now located left to the "1" key.

I think it's possible to remap some keys via a resedit session, anyone?

Right now, this keyboard works perfectly in OS X only.
I ask again: but are you really sure you use the right keymap? Have you checked with Tastaturübersicht?

Because the hat "^" and the "°" are located exactly where I get "<" and ">" if I use the German keyboard layout on an American keyboard (the PowerBook I use has an American keyboard)!! I get < and > when I press the key below escape.

smithz4096  (op)
Nov 24, 2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I ask again: but are you really sure you use the right keymap? Have you checked with Tastaturübersicht?

Because the hat "^" and the "°" are located exactly where I get "<" and ">" if I use the German keyboard layout on an American keyboard (the PowerBook I use has an American keyboard)!! I get < and > when I press the key below escape.
Yeah, i am 100% sure - I'm using the german keyboard layout. Otherwise i wouldn't have access to the umlauts (german special chars) and all that. I also tried Swiss-German and Austrian Keyboard layouts, but the problem stays.

I made a quick'n'dirty attempt to patch the german keyboard-layout inside system-file. I remapped the "<>" and "^°" keys... seems to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules