Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > i want to fix my old ipod without damaging the new one

i want to fix my old ipod without damaging the new one
becuhh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 05:44 PM

I have a 3G 15g ipod that recently crapped out on me because of the same problem as everyone else. It whirs alot and flashes the folder with the exclamation point but NEVER has it flashed a sad face. I've taken Apple's steps to restart it and even ran a HDD scan. However, the HDD scan never completed.. it sat for almost 2 days still scanning.
For Christmas, I recieved a new Ipod Video which works perfectly. However, being the Jew that I am, I want to fix the old Ipod to possibly sell it. But I'm afraid to hook it up to the computer and run an updater or anything else that could possibly mess up my new Ipod.
Any suggestions?
I mean seriously. I'm not a dumb girl. I can follow directions, I can take **** apart.
Help me.
Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2006, 06:38 PM

The updater is smart enough to look at what kind of iPod you've plugged into the computer. It won't hurt your new iPod.

Taking stuff apart is the easy part of the task; putting it back together again properly is the tricky part! There are bunches of sites that show how to open up an iPod, mostly so you can replace the battery. But you do have do mess with the drive to properly and safely open the thing up, so you can probably figure it out from there...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by becuhh
For Christmas, I recieved a new Ipod Video which works perfectly. However, being the Jew that I am

Heh. We spent Christmas with our Jewish, Christmas present giving, pork pie loving friends. Maybe you guys are related?

crooner
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 12:50 AM

Mazeltov. I hope that thing doesn't give you too much schpilkies.

Yeah... I'm on the team.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 03:46 AM

Haha, I'm in the same boat...except I've never worried about the comp confusing the 'Pods. I have a 3G 15GB with a dead drive...I want to replace the drive and try putting a bare-bones OS X install on it while using it for music as well...even though I have a 30GB 5G now.

becuhh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Heh. We spent Christmas with our Jewish, Christmas present giving, pork pie loving friends. Maybe you guys are related?
ahaha maybe. perhaps its due to the fact that i'm only really a half-jew.. just entirely jew acting. hahaha

Forum Links
Forum Rules