Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Graphics benchmark for the new mini

Graphics benchmark for the new mini
pzarker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 03:20 PM

Looks like the new graphics chip isnt so bad afterall.
http://thedailycup.acupo.com/?p=43
My Pride: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz 1.5 GBs of RAM, 30' Cinema Display, 17 inch PowerBook, and awaiting a 2.0 MacBook Pro!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 03:41 PM

Not terrible. Or not *too* terrible, I guess. I'd like to see some benchmarks for a Universal 3D game like UT or WOW, just for kicks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 2, 2006, 03:52 PM

Actually, it's terrible, according to the numbers in that blog. The only test in those benches that stresses the GPU is the Shading OpenGL Hardware Lighting Test.

ie. In the test that uses the GPU, the old Mac mini is 21% faster.

This is not to say this is representative of gaming, but it certainly doesn't look good for the integrated graphics.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah, the GPU marks aren't impressive... but certainly no one will be using the mini for any serious 3D/GPU-dependent work. The question is what the Core + (the somewhat inferior) GMA950 bring to the table for casual/casual-intermediate gamers.

pzarker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 06:36 PM

well in reality most people wont be using the mac mini for gaming, let alone intense gaming.
My Pride: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz 1.5 GBs of RAM, 30' Cinema Display, 17 inch PowerBook, and awaiting a 2.0 MacBook Pro!

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by pzarker
well in reality most people wont be using the mac mini for gaming, let alone intense gaming.
A lot of people that would buy a mini would like to play World of Warcraft.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Altair
A lot of people that would buy a mini would like to play World of Warcraft.
World of Warcraft is playable at low settings on G3s. The intel mini should be able to handle it.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 02:16 AM

Sure, it'll be "playable." The question is whether the new mini has worse, equal, or better performance for 3D games as opposed to the old ones. So far, very little information.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 02:21 AM

UT 2004 runs at medium quality @ 1024x768 very nicely on my 1.42 GHz PPC Mini. Quake 3 at 1024x768 at max details runs at 60-110 FPS (depending on the scene).

I would say that's great performance when it comes to medium-end games. The GMA950 doesn't hold a candle to a dedicated Radeon 9200 solution.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 12:59 PM

Still no rough benchmarks for 3d games for the new mini? C'mon, one of you new mini owners with a 1GB+ of RAM give a UB 3D game, like WoW or UT, a whirl, tell us your impression.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 3, 2006, 04:52 PM

the dual core will more than make up for it

plus rev b will be awesome

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 3, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Still no rough benchmarks for 3d games for the new mini? C'mon, one of you new mini owners with a 1GB+ of RAM give a UB 3D game, like WoW or UT, a whirl, tell us your impression.
Look here.

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
rev b will be awesome
I damn well hope so. I am considering getting a version B Intel Mac mini.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 05:20 PM

Yup, saw that, but I've no idea if they tested using the default amount of RAM (?!), and it's noted as preliminary ... though certainly not looking so good, it seems. I'd like to see a test with the Core Duo mini as well.

Will just have to wait, apparently, for the full Ars & Macworld reviews...

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 08:54 PM

Puzzlepirates runs on the new mini

Not exactly what people want to hear though...

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 09:59 PM

Actually the graphics are "very fast" if you aren't going to be playing games. Videos, finder, imovie, iphoto and things like this rock. I suspect the cpu has more to do with this. You can't believe how "snappy" this damn thing feels, especially when you look at how small it is. It feels faster than my dual processor g5 even. I suspect it probably is for finder operations, and day to day stuff like web browsing.

far200
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 10:24 PM

So after reading a few post most people say that the graphics on the new mini are ok ( not great by any means.) And that the CPU has a lot to do with the good bench marks for the new mini's on board graphics... So if I was to pick up one of the new mini's should I go for the core duo being that I would get better CPU power or will the core solo due just fine for running basic mac stuff ( ilife, dvd movies, internet..) I want to hook it up to my HDTV....

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 12:40 AM

I'm going to add to inkhead's comments. I've got the Core Duo, and man, it FEELS snappier than my old Dual 2Ghz G5 work machine does, at least in the web-finder-mail applications. I don't know if the CPU is at play, in regards to this "snappyness". However...

I did some Flash 8 work this weekend and was BLOWN away by how responsive Flash was. Illustrator CS (not CS2) was OK, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting a font to be recognized in Ill. Occasionally Ill felt like the mouse was lagging by a few milliseconds.

All in all, I'm very impressed and for my needs (no heavy gaming, Illustrator/Photoshop/Flash workflow), it just works! I haven't launched Dreamweaver as I heard it is very sluggish, and am not going to need it for a while.

turbopants
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 01:01 AM

I'd say the dual core is the way to go. For the extra money you can use that machine much longer, and any applications you run will be that much better. I'd do it.

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 01:01 AM

Whoops, double post.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:46 AM

I have to agree that it's pretty nice that you can now purchase a dual-core machine from Apple in the mini form factor for $800.

It's looking that games on the mini are going to be about the same (or a little worse) than the PPC mini. Could anyone witb a new Core/Duo mini (with 1GB+ of RAM) confirm this for WOW or UT? Thanks.

(And btw: yes, I've seen the MW initial benchmarks, and no, I don't consider game benchmarks with the anemic ~440MB of RAM the mini comes with very interesting.)

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 01:08 PM

My wife just called me and said that my new Mini (CoreDuo with 1 GB of RAM) has arrived. When I get home this evening I will play UT2004 on it and tell you what I think. The only thing that I have to compare it to is my current QuickSilver 2002 Dual 1GHz Processors G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. I don't know if that will help anyone or not.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 04:08 PM

I have Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Black & White. I can try those once my monitor arrives. I also have Warcraft, but not WoW. I also have SimCity 4... but that didn't even play well on my 2.0ghz iMac G5. It ran horribly.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 04:32 PM

(And btw: yes, I've seen the MW initial benchmarks, and no, I don't consider game benchmarks with the anemic ~440MB of RAM the mini comes with very interesting.)
In the MW test the mini had 1GB of RAM in it, but they used 1024x768 with max settings so it'll be worthwhile seeing how it performs at a lower resolution where it might actually be playable.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacOS-Fan
My wife just called me and said that my new Mini (CoreDuo with 1 GB of RAM) has arrived. When I get home this evening I will play UT2004 on it and tell you what I think. The only thing that I have to compare it to is my current QuickSilver 2002 Dual 1GHz Processors G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. I don't know if that will help anyone or not.
That's super -- thanks.

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
I have Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and Black & White. I can try those once my monitor arrives. I also have Warcraft, but not WoW. I also have SimCity 4... but that didn't even play well on my 2.0ghz iMac G5. It ran horribly.
Yeah, you can be sure that anything but the oldest/most casual games running in Rosetta will not run well at all. I'm curious how Core + GMA950 fares for Universal games, as opposed to the G4 + Radeon 9200.

Originally Posted by JKT
In the MW test the mini had 1GB of RAM in it, but they used 1024x768 with max
settings so it'll be worthwhile seeing how it performs at a lower resolution where it might actually be playable.
It did? Where did they say they installed a gig of RAM? I don't see it.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 08:47 PM

Well although the new Mini (CoreDuo) seems sweet in every other aspect, it won't handle UT2004. I tried to play it with many different setting and it's just not happening. I am literally about to throw up from motion sickness. Even on the LOWEST settings and a resolution of 800x600 (I think) it was VERY choppy and no fun at all. I am not saying that it is pretty bad, I am saying that it is very bad. Now I never owned a G4 Mini to compare it to. As I said above I can only compare it to my QuickSilver 2002 Dual 1GHz Processors G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. There is no comparison at all.

I'm not upset about this at all. I certainly didn't buy the Mini to play games on, although playing my UT2004 would have been a nice bonus. I save the gaming for my PS2 and 55" HDTV!

My new Mini has BLOWN through all other tasks and tests so far. It is a very fast and capable little puter!
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

jtaylr77
Mar 6, 2006, 09:03 PM

good info. Is UT2004 universal code or does the mini run it under rosetta?
Mark it 8 Dude.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by jtaylr77
good info. Is UT2004 universal code or does the mini run it under rosetta?
It's Universal. Well, there you have it. Thanks for the report. I'd like to hear if WOW fares any better, but it's looking like the verdict is pretty much out, at least for non-casual games.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:42 PM

[x]

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 11:34 PM

Well although the new Mini (CoreDuo) seems sweet in every other aspect, it won't handle UT2004. I tried to play it with many different setting and it's just not happening. I am literally about to throw up from motion sickness. Even on the LOWEST settings and a resolution of 800x600 (I think) it was VERY choppy and no fun at all. I am not saying that it is pretty bad, I am saying that it is very bad. Now I never owned a G4 Mini to compare it to. As I said above I can only compare it to my QuickSilver 2002 Dual 1GHz Processors G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM and a GeForce4 Ti 4600. There is no comparison at all.

I'm not upset about this at all. I certainly didn't buy the Mini to play games on, although playing my UT2004 would have been a nice bonus. I save the gaming for my PS2 and 55" HDTV!

My new Mini has BLOWN through all other tasks and tests so far. It is a very fast and capable little puter!
This may be an obvious question, but you do have the universal binary patch for UT, correct? That seems even worse than I would've expected... I would think that it'd at least be playable at 800x600 on the lowest settings.

"I start fires!"

doctre
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 12:06 AM

It's Universal. Well, there you have it. Thanks for the report. I'd like to hear if WOW fares any better, but it's looking like the verdict is pretty much out, at least for non-casual games.
I installed WOW today and running around Org (you know how that is) I get between 8 and 18 fps with all sliders set to high running at 1280x1024 24bit 1x multisample (default). Its definitely playable in my opinion and actually handling better than the G4 mini did at the same resolution with all sliders at low.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 12:30 PM

Ah, that's somewhat more encouraging news ... thanks for testing.

More info the mini's capabilities for WOW this thread here.

Long and short of it: don't even try running WOW on an Intel mini without bumping up the RAM.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 12:43 PM

It did? Where did they say they installed a gig of RAM? I don't see it.
The table legend:

Speedmark 4.5 scores are relative to those of a 1.25GHz Mac mini, which is assigned a score of 100. Adobe Photoshop, Cinema 4D XL, iMovie, iTunes, and Zip Archive scores are in minutes:seconds. All systems were running Mac OS X 10.4.5 with 1GB of RAM, with processor performance set to Highest in the Energy Saver preference pane when applicable. The Photoshop Suite test is a set of 14 scripted tasks using a 50MB file. Photoshop’s memory was set to 70 percent and History was set to Minimum. In iMovie, we applied the Aged video effect to a 1-minute movie. We converted 45 minutes of AAC audio files to MP3 using iTunes’ High Quality setting. We used Unreal Tournament 2004’s Antalus Botmatch average-frames-per-second score; we tested at a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels at the Maximum setting with both audio and graphics enabled. We created a Zip archive in the Finder from a 1GB folder.—Macworld Lab testing by James Galbraith and Jerry Jung

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 12:43 PM

This sounds like you're not running the universal binary but the PPC binary. I tried MTX Mototrax which is PPC and it runs like crap. According to other people, the UT2004 universal binary should run just fine on the Mini.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by doctre
I installed WOW today and running around Org (you know how that is) I get between 8 and 18 fps with all sliders set to high running at 1280x1024 24bit 1x multisample (default). Its definitely playable in my opinion and actually handling better than the G4 mini did at the same resolution with all sliders at low.
Thanks for the info. Maybe that extra core is doing more than keeping an eye on WindowServer in the background. Tried setting the video settings down a bit and running around the auction houses?
( Last edited by sniffer; Mar 7, 2006 at 01:06 PM. )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

doctre
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 03:14 PM

Well they were all the way down when I first started and I was getting in the 20s in Org. Once I get home tonight I'll go through and see what best rates I can get with different settings.
The Doctre

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 04:06 PM

I would appreciate that doctre. Even if the GMA 950 is said to be a slouch for gaming, having a system fast enough to squeeze the game floating at all times in the double digits would make a world of difference for many of us coming from WOW on G4s.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 04:51 PM

To be honest, I am not sure what binary I am running. I just loaded the game (UT2004) onto my Mini and tried to play it. Where would I obtain the correct binary?
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 05:03 PM

Macupdate page on UT 2004 or Macgamefiles.com. You will have been playing the non-native version which will hopefully explain the poor fps.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
The table legend:
All systems were running Mac OS X 10.4.5 with 1GB of RAM, with processor performance set to Highest in the Energy Saver preference pane when applicable.
Ah, thanks. Somehow I missed that.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 05:59 PM

I am going to try again right now. I'll let you know. I just thought that since it was universal it would be ready to go on the Intel Macs.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 06:43 PM

Also, next time you wanna find out, right-click and Information will tell you whether it's PPC, Universal or Intel Binary.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 07:16 PM

This patch is 200MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 07:50 PM

Well, MAYBE it got a little better at best. It is still no good. It's still choppy and hesitant. even at 640x480 it didn't play right. Any other ideas?
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 08:35 PM

Well, MAYBE it got a little better at best. It is still no good. It's still choppy and hesitant. even at 640x480 it didn't play right. Any other ideas?
Wait for a Macintel desktop with a decent graphics card, like the iMac or Macbook Pro has already.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 12:06 AM

Like I said above, I really don't care. I personally leave the gaming to my PS2 and 55" HDTV. I never planned on my Mini being a game machine.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

doctre
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by sniffer
I would appreciate that doctre. Even if the GMA 950 is said to be a slouch for gaming, having a system fast enough to squeeze the game floating at all times in the double digits would make a world of difference for many of us coming from WOW on G4s.
sniffer,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been playing with different settings all evening... I can't get any noticable change in fps. I went to freewind post in Thousand needles and at every rez and color depth I would get between 8 and 23 fps depending on which way I faced and what was around me. This was at all resolutions from 800x600 to 1680x1050. I couldn't get it to hold an average rate it was all over the place the whole time. Its still playable but I couldn't find any settings that could guarantee a frame rate.
The Doctre

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks for taking the time to test all this doctre. I have a solo in order (three weeks shipping time in Scandinavia, poor us), so it's good to know WOW at least is an option for these machines, thought I was hoping for a little better results. Not that gaming is the main purpose for my investment thought. (Even if gaming was the reason to get a new machine, I wouldn't have cashed out for an iMac anyway, stupid Apple.)
( Last edited by sniffer; Mar 9, 2006 at 02:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules