Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > My Floppy Disk Died????

My Floppy Disk Died????
George Orville
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 12:31 AM

My bootable floppy disk containing .....
Minimal System Folder
Disk 1st Aid
ScsiProbe

has quit functioning..When inserted the dialog appears...The disk is unreadable by this computor, do you want to initialize?????
The drive is ok because other floppy's will mount and open...

I created this bootable disk in the days of OS8.0/8.1 (I'm running 8.6 now)...... I inserted OS8.0 and OS8.1 CD but not as a startup disk.. I don't see any dialog that tells me how to create a bootable floppy disk...I don't recall how I did it two or three years ago....

Can anyone out there in Macintosk land have a solution?????

I have my OS CD's, DiskWarrior, Norton and ZIP Rescue Disk but I also would like the flexibility of having a bootable floppy disk..(Just in case my CD- ROM drive quits on me...My computor is a 6116PPC
bigbiker

WillyB
Feb 20, 2001, 12:49 AM

On your Mac OS 8.0/8.1 CD, there should be a folder called "Disk Tools Images". Open this folder and double click the disk image icon. From there, you should be prompted to make your new 'Disk Tools' floppy disk.

[This message has been edited by WillyB (edited 02-20-2001).]
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

George Orville  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 02:02 AM

WillyB,
You are the man of the hour.... I went to the Disk Tools folder and it tells you to insert two floppy's..... They both contain a minimal system folder,Disk First Aid and Drive Setup Lite.
The system folder is the same on both disks....... But disk 1 has 54K available.. On Disk 2 125K was available...... I then placed Scsci Probe on Disk 2 and still had 37K available.......
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules