Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Fido orders by phone: received yours yet?

Fido orders by phone: received yours yet?
lenny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 04:59 PM

I ordered a 16GB black iPhone from Fido over the telephone around noon on Friday. The rep said it could arrive Monday or Tuesday, and Friday at the latest. I'm not holding out much hope that it will come before Friday, but am wondering if anyone else bought theirs over the phone on Friday and, if so, when they are starting to come in. I live in Montreal.

I expect that by noon they were out of stock, so my phone will probably come in a later shipment...

Will be nice when all this hysteria (my own included) dies down. It was very painful trying to surf on my iPod touch today with one of those two-bar WiFi connections at a cafe that never seems to actually connect.

L

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 09:44 AM

I called Fido today, and for the first time got a maximum ship date of August 1!! Still no indication mine had shipped yet.

That's two weeks from this Friday - I hope that it does not take this long... I ordered mine on July 11; pretty sad if it takes three weeks to ship!

The person who set up my account on Friday said "you should get it Monday or Tuesday - Friday at the latest". Obviously that was a bit optimistic...

L

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 03:31 PM

Eug got his on monday and he ordered on Friday.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 05:15 PM

I think the difference is that (if I remember his post correctly) Eug called right at 9am, while I waited until noon.

L

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 07:59 PM

Wow, ordered on Sunday AM and they said later this week for mine to arrive.. hehe.. I have a feeling someone didn't know what the F they were talking about.. I'm a little too busy to call, but I sent a delivery update request email via their web site.

I'll keep you guys posted.

B.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by lenny View Post
I think the difference is that (if I remember his post correctly) Eug called right at 9am, while I waited until noon.
Yep. I called at 9 am and got a hold of somebody about 50 minutes later. My order was complete just after 10.

My 16 GB white iPhone arrived Monday morning.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply -

Might also be a problem that I ordered the black 16GB, which seems to be in shorter supply (I like the white, but was looking for something more discrete as I already have the reputation at work as a raging Apple fanboy...)

I suppose in six months the minor delays will not seem such a big deal - that is unless it takes seven months for Fido to deliver it

L

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 08:30 AM

Called this morning to see if I could get a ship date and UPS waybill number - the rep tried for about ten minutes and finally gave up saying the computers were really slow and might be down.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 04:11 PM

Ok - another call, and this time I got discouraging, but more credible, information.

Previous reps just said something to the effect of "well if you ordered it by last Friday, you should get it by this Friday because normally we ship within one week".

This rep I got repeated something that was said in a previous call (but muddied by the other more clueless reps) which was that my max shipping date had been moved out to August 1 due to the stock shortages of my iPhone model. Needless to say she was able to confirm that my phone was not yet into the shipping system.

Ok - I am officially going to try and chill out about this. Best to try and forget it and enjoy the pleasant surprise when it does come in!

Another interesting thing they said was that it was possible to track the phone on UPS by entering the Fido phone number in place of a UPS reference number. This sounds kind of suspect, but it would be convenient if true (I could just check online and no info would mean no shipping yet).

I'd be interested if someone who has already received theirs could type their phone number into UPS tracking to see if they get a 'delivered' status:

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track

Later,

L

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 04:17 PM

Although this was not visible on Google earlier, there is a much more active thread on this whole topic at HowardForums:

http://www.howardforums.com/printthr...&page=29&pp=15

Actually I think it may be faster for me to just build my own iPhone... now where did I put that soldering iron?

L

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I waited until the end of the day today to call, they are acting verrrry vague... "sorry about the backorder but you will receive it no later than August 1st" WHAT? I said, wow, you guys really dropped the ball eh? 3 weeks backorder for this thing? I could tell they have been prepped for people who trip.. I'm not choked, but I could tell she's probably heard from a lot of nutters.

B.

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 07:05 PM

Going by the Howardforum info.. my Fido dollars have been cashed and the CSR I spoke to said the order has been processed. I was wondering why she was telling me this, but maybe it makes sense in that regard. Maybe orders are being processed as incoming stock is being confirmed? Really just speculating here, I have no idea and we can go insane trying to figure out something we have no control over. You're right lenny, just have to sit back and have the surprise when it DOES arrive. I don't think any UPS tracking number has a 3-3-4 numerical combo, so it won't work... ?

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 07:42 PM

Actually looking through the HowardForums thread, it looks like the Fido phone number in UPS tracking box worked for many people. Some reported including the dashes (514-555-1234), others no dashes (5145551234).

Many mentioned that this did not show anything until right before delivery, or in some cases after! Some who have taken delivery said the information they got from Fido reps prior was actually pretty useless.

I agree with you that Fido reps are basically just not giving any info, and that the August 1 stuff may just be to get people off their backs. I also secretly worry that they count how many times you've called, and each call puts you further back in the waiting list I've always been polite during my calls though. Wonder if complaining politely can get us any concessions?

L

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2008, 10:16 PM

...so hows that official chilling out work there Lenny?

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 06:21 PM

Can you believe the agony? Just as I sit on the couch at the end of today, Friday (5pm) my wife makes this 'LOOK WHO IS HERE' face as she is staring out the window and it's a UPS truck infront of my house... stepped out with a small box in his hand.. and went to my neighbours house. They weren't home so I signed for their item... I'm not going to give it to them until my iPhone arrives, haha. j/k.

I see what is happening with the phone number on the UPS page. You have to enter it on 'Track by Reference' page, not the 'Tracking Number' page. IF and only IF the sender entered your phone number in that field on the waybill (a lot do), then the shipping deets will appear (if shipped of course)

B.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 06:28 PM

I know exactly what you mean - I juggled stuff to work at home several days this week, and kept looking out the window for that @#$% UPS truck! At the end of the week I felt like a complete idiot for doing this - am trying somewhat unsuccessfully to forget about it for now.

Nice how they managed to charge my credit card with lightening speed!

I really hope we can get some concessions from them on this - I've been playing the following script over in my head:

"Well the guy said there was a 15-day satisfaction guarantee and I'm definitely not satisfied, so I'm canceling out of the deal. Then in 'retentions' I ask for the $15/6GB I've heard of some people getting after making a serious looking cancellation threat."

This is probably just a pipe-dream, as the 15-day guarantee might be just for the phone and not the contract. With all the misinformation I actually jokingly thought about recording the call before I ordered - now I wish I had done it! (since they do it on their end)

The guy fed me a whole bunch of BS...

Do I sound bitter? I know I'll get over it

L

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 08:57 PM

Haha, I know, I know.. you are really wound up! But, it is lame about the delays. Problem with trying to walk, is the monopoly... you just can't win since you can't go anywhere else... I know more than a cpl ppl anxious to get theirs, but you're still part of the top cpl percent of people to get one 'early'. Pretty sure only a handful were allotted to stores, and ppl aren't getting them anywhere else.

Be patient buddy! Have a ride/run/walk/beer/smoke.. to get your mind off it all, then before you know it, 'ding-dong' goes the doorbell. Or you'll come home to see that sticker on your door.. wooooot! It's the week end, so don't even bother looking out the window until Monday.

B.

krazeve2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

yeah this is getting crazy over a week now still no debit on my credit card, or any sign that im getting my white iphone soon. Getting a little cheesed, about ready to order an unlocked one instead!

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 07:10 PM

Wow, just wow. 3 people I know who all placed Rogers orders Tuesday and Wednesday last week received their phones today. A full 3 days after I ordered.... sheesh!

B.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 09:41 PM

[copy of a post I made on HowardForums - figured it was relevant here as well, since I started this sad thread]

My order for a 16GB black iPhone has been on backorder forever, even though I ordered on launch day.

I called the local Fido dealer around the corner from my house this morning and it turns out he had a black 16GB in stock. In previous calls to Fido Customer Service they claimed I could negate my original phone order (placed July 11, but they screwed it up and only really placed it last week) by refusing to accept delivery from UPS and calling to cancel the order.

So I went to buy it at the store; the guy at this small Fido dealer (I believe also the owner) was willing to do it but also very cautious and confirmed himself with FIDO CS that I could cancel with a refund for the original phone (never delivered yet, but the $393.93 were taken from my credit card with lightening speed!) and no cancellation fee since it was still within 15 days of the original order.

The store was a bit busy, and the whole transaction took over an hour. The guy was very professional though...

Apparently it is extremely important to refuse the UPS delivery, or I risk getting charged for the whole unsubsidized price of the phone plus possibly a cancellation fee.

The really pathetic thing is that apparently it's impossible for them to cancel an account that is 'reserved' but not 'activated' (and they won't activate until I get that phone). My 15 days to cancel with a refund and without penalty starts from the day when they finished processing my order (July 14) and *not* from when I receive the phone (i.e. when I 'activate'). It's therefore possible, in theory, to have a situation where you can't possibly cancel within 15 days (if the phone takes longer to arrive). However the rep I spoke with said he carefully documented my file to the effect that I have been trying to cancel my account and if the phone arrives after fifteen days I should be ok.

I'm pretty happy with the phone, by the way!

L

PS Note that mine was a new activation, which is apparently the only reason I can cancel my order (since the phone is attached to an account that was never active).

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2008, 10:22 PM

Glad you got your phone man. I wasn't loosing it too much, but had enough of Fido.

I will sum up our experience with my former cell provider in one word. Unbelievable.

Here is the short-ish drama.........

1. Friday, Wife called and ordered the phone. Fido: "should be there before next Friday" me: "AWESOME"
2. Tuesday my boss orders his (Rogers).
3. Tuesday I call for shipping deets.... Fido: "oh, we're experiencing huge backorders... Aug 1 shipping" me: "WHAT?? Okaaayyyyy... I can wait, no problemo"
4. Silently gripe about it for a week or so.....
5. Tuesday, boss' phone arrives.
6. Wednesday, I call Fido.... me: "Hi, what's up with my iPhone order?", and I explain my dissatisfaction, not with the backorders.. it happens, but with how I am being handled.... I get put on hold... Fido: "Looks like we are looking at around Mid August for your phone" me: 'WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THE DEEEEEUUUUCE?!?!?!?
7. I ask about canceling if I find one in a store, he says it is no problem at all as it falls within my 15 day satisfaction guarantee and I will NOT find one in a store, he actually laughed at that....... WHAAAT??? Satisfaction with what?? You mean the 15 day satisfaction guarantee starts when I sign up, not when I get my phone?? aaahahahahahahaha... whatever.
8. Wednesday afternoon, wife goes to the Rogers outlet in the mall skywalk and the guy says "call me at 11 on Thursday". So wife just shows up instead. No 16's. SOOOO.. since wife is now frustrated with this because I am... she calls some other Rogers stores.. Big mall about 20 mins away just got two White 16's. One of which is now mine. Yay!
9. I call Fido to tell them I have one, I am transferring my account, my new 3 yr contract, iPhone purchase, plus upgrades to all of my plans and I am now a Rogers customer (yes, even though they're the same company).... guess what the woman says to me????.

"YOUR (Fido) IPHONE SHIPPED YESTERDAY, END OF DAY". I had to tell her, thats too bad, I am already switched... now all I have to do is refuse the delivery and that's that.

She actually had the nerve to say "Thanks for choosing Fido"

Unbelievable.

Hahahahaha

freudling
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 03:26 AM

I remember getting my first iPhone... back in July 2007. Yawn.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I remember getting my first iPhone... back in July 2007. Yawn.
Ya you guys are all old school.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Wow, just wow. 3 people I know who all placed Rogers orders Tuesday and Wednesday last week received their phones today. A full 3 days after I ordered.... sheesh!
Which models though?

Burn
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2008, 04:57 PM

All 16's. Sorry, should have mentioned that (8's are "everywhere"). 2 Black, 1 White. Our sister office next door placed an order for 4 on Monday of this week. 1 came in yesterday. Rogers is telling them, 7 to 10 days max. Which seems about right from many I have spoken with over the past cpl days.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2008, 08:22 AM

Just an update -

I'm still enjoying the black 16GB I bought last week at my neighborhood Action Page (the local Fido dealer).

However the black 16GB phone I ordered over the phone with Fido CSR on the July 11 launch day is still nowhere to be seen on Fido's or UPS's tracking systems. Called Fido yesterday (was on hold for an hour on the 'iPhone' line, which was a mistake) and they said "nope, still not showing up but the order is still active and we can't cancel it - you'll have to refuse delivery".

It's just laughable how Fido and Rogers bumbled into such a good product opportunity, but have had absolutely no clue how to deal with it!

Given what I already spend on communications and IT in my small business, I will have absolutely no problem spending $400+subsidy when any decent GSM competition comes along (although I'd probably have to unlock the phone, which I don't like on a device on which I depend for my business). It just makes me want to puke, rewarding incompetence like this...

Fido's rather pathetic website (ok the dogs *are* cute) is also incredibly amateurish by todays standards. No way to check usage stats online, for example (which I could do with Telus). Oh well, the phone rocks and generally I'm happy - just a rather crummy customer experience getting it.

L

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 09:15 AM

Just a heads up, and this is no excuse for Fido's site, you can check usage from within 'Settings' on the iPhone.

lenny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Just a heads up, and this is no excuse for Fido's site, you can check usage from within 'Settings' on the iPhone.
Thanks - I have been using this, and it is helpful up to a point.

What I'd really like is a breakdown like the following:
  • daytime incoming minutes (free)
  • daytime outgoing minutes ($$$)
  • evening and weekend minutes (free)

The iPhone Usage function lumps them all together.

Note that the Telus web site doesn't really organize the usage all that clearly, but at least the information is there.

L

designguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2009, 06:07 PM

I ordered mine (32GB) and the girl told me I should be getting it no later than July 7. So far no debit transaction on my credit card so I wonder if it has been shipped yet. Bad thing about it is that they don't provide you with an email indicating about the processed order. Wonder if I should go back to Rogers lol.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2009, 06:46 PM

Lenny, I think you were simply caught in "there are a lot of orders and something is going to fall through the cracks." One question, I know Eug is in Toronto, where are you? That may make a difference, at least for Fido...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Jun 23, 2009, 07:24 PM

Note this thread is over a year old...
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2009, 08:10 PM

Yep. I was snookered. I just wonder how it got to actually be resurrected...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2009, 09:14 PM

No lock?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No lock?

-t