Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti 867/1ghz Powerbook sleep/waking up mechanism

Ti 867/1ghz Powerbook sleep/waking up mechanism
Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 10:47 AM

Hi,

How does the laptop know that the lid is closed on a Ti powerbook. I've heard there is a magnet somewhere in the screen?

I use my powerbook mainly as a desktop replacement and dont want to wear the hinges closing the screen putting it to sleep and then reopening the screen for cooling. I wish apple would just put an option to turn on/off the lcd when using an external monitor.

Thanks ppl.

inEarNest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Alphy:

I use my powerbook mainly as a desktop replacement and dont want to wear the hinges closing the screen putting it to sleep and then reopening the screen for cooling.
I just got my TiBook and have been wondering the same thing about the hinges. Check out this thread I found. I don't think the hinges wearing out will be a problem.

I don't know how it knows it's closed, though. Maybe a mechanism in the latch?

-sae
"Oh, I get it...It's very clever. How's that working out for you...being clever?"

Alphy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by inEarNest:
I just got my TiBook and have been wondering the same thing about the hinges. Check out this thread I found. I don't think the hinges wearing out will be a problem.

I don't know how it knows it's closed, though. Maybe a mechanism in the latch?

-sae
Yeah, my main concern about wearing the hinges is making them break off or cracking itself. Have you seen the horrible pictures that can happen to the hinges!

I've been considering getting the Tiglide product mentioned in that thread but if i can avoid closing and opening the laptop the better. It's just annoying everytime I wake it up from sleep I have to put down the screen and reopen it up everytime which would be like 3-4 times a day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules