Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AL is FANTASTIC

15" AL is FANTASTIC
b16309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 11:46 PM

Hi huys.. This is my first post here and just wanted to let everyone know that my 15" arrivrd today (can you say excited) and it is absolutely wonderful. NOT ONE PROBLEM as have been discussed throughout these forums. I began to get nervous after all I'd read on this and other forums. Thank God it's OK.

It really is a marvel of engeneering. It's VERY solid feeling and the ports on the side are already proving that they should have been there all the time. Airport extreme seems to be working well....trsndmission speeds are MUCH faster though I've yet to test distance yet. I was surprised, though, at how snappy the DVD dirve pulled my DVD into the slot...a bit brusquely!

the screen seems brighter that the TI Powerbooks and the hinge is great.....by the way, my latch works perfectly everytime and is much better than the TI's. Speed is vastly improved over my old 500TI.

Oh, before I go though, I wanted to say that the keyboard illumination is awesome and works really well. It will be invaluable. No, of course you don't need it....but when you do..hey, Apple's done it again AND it workd VERY well! All my keys are illuminated. Even the F keys.

More later--maybe some pictures for those of you still waiting--to tide you over.

One more word before I'm done..to sum up my impressions.....DAMN!

Best,
Stephen

b16309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by b16309:
Hi huys.. This is my first post here and just wanted to let everyone know that my 15" arrivrd today (can you say excited) and it is absolutely wonderful. NOT ONE PROBLEM as have been discussed throughout these forums. I began to get nervous after all I'd read on this and other forums. Thank God it's OK.

It really is a marvel of engeneering. It's VERY solid feeling and the ports on the side are already proving that they should have been there all the time. Airport extreme seems to be working well....trsndmission speeds are MUCH faster though I've yet to test distance yet. I was surprised, though, at how snappy the DVD dirve pulled my DVD into the slot...a bit brusquely!

the screen seems brighter that the TI Powerbooks and the hinge is great.....by the way, my latch works perfectly everytime and is much better than the TI's. Speed is vastly improved over my old 500TI.

Oh, before I go though, I wanted to say that the keyboard illumination is awesome and works really well. It will be invaluable. No, of course you don't need it....but when you do..hey, Apple's done it again AND it workd VERY well! All my keys are illuminated. Even the F keys.

More later--maybe some pictures for those of you still waiting--to tide you over.

One more word before I'm done..to sum up my impressions.....DAMN!

Best,
Stephen

SORRY for all the spelling typos...it's late and I've taken a sleeping pill

Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:54 AM

heh... welcome to the forums

Thanks for the review.

I got my 15" last week, last week. For the first couple of days, there were no problems with the screen, by the third day though I got the spots. Oh well. I am just waiting for news from the local mac repair place, they are telling me to wait until they can find out from Apple if ordering a new screen is going to help, or if I'll just end up with another one.

However, as some people have been suggesting on these forums, the white spots may simply be a result of the "first wave" of PBs.. some early manufacturing glitches.

Other than the white spots, my PB is amazing!! As far as gaming goes, it kicks my QS 867s butt! (probably a combination of the faster RAM, far superior video card, and the faster processor).

I agree with you on the keyboard, I went for the illuminated one, and even though it was a few more bucks, it was worth it. It's so nice to play games in the dark, and to be able to quickly glance down at they keyboard to find a key combination (I touch type, but in this case combinations like 'b' and then 'p' are difficult with one hand on the mouse, the other on the keyboard). It has also been useful when watching movies.. it's a cool feature, and when you are already paying this much money for a PB, it doesn't hurt to add a few more percent onto the price.

I'll be interested to see how my screen issue resolves itself, and I would be interested to see if recent buyers have been experiencing the white spots, or if it's just a first week thing. I'll post a poll one this if someone else doesn't, next week (give it some time to get sorted out).

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 01:03 AM

I love my PB...it had none of the problems, thank goodness, that you guys mentioned on the boards. Maybe that's karma, b/c my g3 I got awhile ago had all sorts of issues here and there over it's 5 year span.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 01:09 AM

Must be nice, because mine is a fukn pos. And I MEAN A POS. I hope apple gets their ass moving on my request.

BTW just wait for white spots to show up
I now have another one forming on my screen, that wasnt there. They get worse every day.

babajazz
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 10:05 PM

ahhh.....sakino....now I'm so sad again.....the fuc... spots!
mine's coming tomorrow and I croos my fingers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules