Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Tiger themes into Panther themes

Tiger themes into Panther themes
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 03:03 PM

OK, so RULER Aero was recently released as Open Source. However, the themepark file is still a Tiger theme. I was wondering if anyone knew what needs to happen to take a tpark file from a Tiger theme to a Panther theme.

I just want to make the RULER Aero theme into a Panther version.

Thanks,

R

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 03:31 PM

I did this for VOID... I was lucky - it's B&W and very clean with no gradients. Gerrits' screenies showed me everything I needed to know and he filled in the blanks in knowledge that I did not find on my own.

Here is what I found - first contact IceSpectre for the PS file for the toolbar, you will tear your hair out and then your eyes trying to duplicate what he did, just by looking at screenies:

1. Toolbar Items some states will remain intact but they may be in different locations of the set they belong to. For instance, Column Active might be under Icon Inactive... [relatively timeconsuming]
2. Sidebar - rebuild [easy]
3. Column view images - rebuild [easy]

that should be just about it, there may be just a few other things but the toolbar is most of what gets wacked by the revdown. I don't know if this is actually an issue but can ThemePark 2.1.1 be used to theme Panther? I am using v2.0. Contact me if you've got questions - otherwise looking forward to your progress.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 03:38 PM

The thing is, IceSpectre released the tpark file! So everything is in there... I just don't know what to do with it. Shoot, if I knew, I would personally change all the themes that people wanted to Panther to Panther themes... Mostly because I want them too

Here is the link to the tpark file: http://icespectre.ambitiouslemon.com...o-Template.zip

Thanks,

R

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 04:39 PM

'nearly' everything is there... the "shifting" resources is still an issue. I will look into it and see what went where... I'm PM you if I find anything.

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 11:44 PM

I think that the only big issue is the Finder toolbar items, at Elements -> Finder -> Toolbar Items. Tiger changes those resources completely, but keeps some of the same resource IDs, so what you see in ThemePark is NOT what you need to have there.

In Panther, those resources should be pictures of the actual button states. In Tiger, they're just the glyphs, and the buttons come from Elements -> Global Elements -> Segment Buttons -> Large Metal Segment Buttons.

So what you'll probably want to do is jam both the segment buttons and the glyphs into photoshop, and try to duplicate what you see in Panther Aqua's Finder toolbars.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2005, 04:36 AM

OK, after I do that... Where do I put them in themepark. Right now, themepark seems to be set up for Tiger themes...

R

P.S. Thanks for the reply smeger

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2005, 04:51 AM

Why don't you upgrade? I think I have read about 200 posts of yours asking about Panther themes. Or use Panther themes?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
OK, after I do that... Where do I put them in themepark. Right now, themepark seems to be set up for Tiger themes...
Ahhh. You've got a problem. You can't downgrade an existing theme. You'll have to create a new theme and import the elements into it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Why don't you upgrade? I think I have read about 200 posts of yours asking about Panther themes. Or use Panther themes?
Well, I did upgrade a few months ago. However, there is a problem with Tiger and G5 1.8gh processor machines. For some reason, tiger makes my machine crash. I was blaming it on SS however, with a lot of research and doing different things, I figured out it is Tiger. I am now with panther, and I haven't crashed once...

So, having panther themes is very important to me, and others I think too. Its kind of a bummer that theme park doesn't have backwards compatability. Especially as the only real problem that I can see has to do with the finder bar glyphs (or whatever they are called.)

R

Trust me... I miss Tiger. Just don't miss the chashes.

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 05:53 PM

Well, I did upgrade a few months ago. However, there is a problem with Tiger and G5 1.8gh processor machines. For some reason, tiger makes my machine crash. I was blaming it on SS however, with a lot of research and doing different things, I figured out it is Tiger. I am now with panther, and I haven't crashed once...

So, having panther themes is very important to me, and others I think too. Its kind of a bummer that theme park doesn't have backwards compatability. Especially as the only real problem that I can see has to do with the finder bar glyphs (or whatever they are called.)

R

Trust me... I miss Tiger. Just don't miss the chashes.

So anybody with a G5 dual 1.8ghz will not be able to run Tiger?? That just sounds a little weird. I do know if you upgrade from another operating system you will have problems, but if it is a clean install you should be fine. Sucks you have to use panther, but just like everything else in life...support will be only made for a short time on an old system.
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2005, 07:08 PM

Actually. the problem is mainly on single processor machines. As for support...well, I would hope that Panther support would be held at least until 2.5 or 3.0.

I will be trying a totally clean install of Tiger here in the near future, but the idea of having to go back to panther AGAIN is rather daunting... Backing up process is tedious if not completely unnerving (What to chooooose!???)

You can google up the 1.8gh freeze thing. Almost everyone is having the same reproduceable symptoms. Its a real drag, trust me. One can only hope that Apple is trying to work things out.

As soon as OSX86 comes out... Im getting a PC. Cheeper... Less Expensive... Costs Less...

Anyway. Whatever happens with SS I'll just have to live with I guess... Majority rule and all

R

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 08:12 PM

Actually. the problem is mainly on single processor machines. As for support...well, I would hope that Panther support would be held at least until 2.5 or 3.0.

I will be trying a totally clean install of Tiger here in the near future, but the idea of having to go back to panther AGAIN is rather daunting... Backing up process is tedious if not completely unnerving (What to chooooose!???)

You can google up the 1.8gh freeze thing. Almost everyone is having the same reproduceable symptoms. Its a real drag, trust me. One can only hope that Apple is trying to work things out.

As soon as OSX86 comes out... Im getting a PC. Cheeper... Less Expensive... Costs Less...

Anyway. Whatever happens with SS I'll just have to live with I guess... Majority rule and all

R
i have seen reported problems..have you tried this

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237576
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2005, 12:17 AM

I didn't do this... Like I said, I am already in Panther mode with a lot of design work to do (just got a few more clients, wahoo!) and I won't have time to backup/re-install Tiger. I will though, it will just be a while. I guess when I do I can try what that link suggested.

Thanks for the tip!

R

Forum Links
Forum Rules