Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iSight cameras on MBP's can be activated by external sites??

iSight cameras on MBP's can be activated by external sites??
sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2006, 07:16 PM

I just read this article and it sounds like the iSight cameras on the MBP's can be activated by an external site.

There is a link where you can test it for yourself. Here it is:
http://svenontech.com/2006/07/06/an-...hole-in-tiger/

If anybody has a MBP, give it a shot and let me know if this is real or not. I'm ready to buy a MBP but this is rather spooky.

- Mark

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2006, 09:37 PM

Flash has been able to access webcams for a long time. It's not really hard to do, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so.

tooki

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Flash has been able to access webcams for a long time. It's not really hard to do, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so.

tooki
Thanks tooki.

I'm still surprised that this is possible. That said, it isn't going to stop me from buying a MBP.

- Mark

phazedowt
Nov 8, 2006, 05:56 PM

Its not that surprising that this is possible. But this just reinforces the dismay in my mind that Apple doesn't offer a "Government-friendly" version of the macbook/macbook pro. I.e., iSight-less for those whose employers don't allow built-in cameras on camputers.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 06:25 PM

Actually, this particular example isn't using Flash, it's using Quicktime.

Flash is able to actually send the video stream from your webcam back to the server (which lets them build things like Breeze), but I believe you have to go into your Flash settings and explicitly enable that first.

As far as I know, Quicktime doesn't have that capability. You can author a Quicktime file that captures the video as an input and displays it in some way, but everything happens locally. Nothing's actually being sent out from your computer.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2006, 05:33 AM

Apple should offer a simple software setting to turn the iSight completely off for good - just like they do with BT. A piece of black tape looks like crap on such a beautiful notebook.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple should offer a simple software setting to turn the iSight completely off for good - just like they do with BT. A piece of black tape looks like crap on such a beautiful notebook.
Yes, I agree- the 'close' function on the external isights is very reassuring. some kind of slide cover or something would be nice.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 08:17 AM

So use a post-it or something else. Even a thin piece of frosted scotch tape should render the camera useless.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
So use a post-it or something else. Even a thin piece of frosted scotch tape should render the camera useless.
Yuck! How about a nice elegant Apple solution?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 12:32 AM

A bit off topic, but can external sites acces an external iSight? I can not get mine to work in this way.

Annette310
Nov 28, 2006, 12:35 AM

Yikes! I tried the website and it worked on my macbook.

HeldUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hey! It's ME!

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 05:27 AM

I really want to try this but no mac

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
A bit off topic, but can external sites acces an external iSight? I can not get mine to work in this way.
Just to clear things up, there is no security hole here. External sites cannot access any sort of iSight.

Quicktime can display the stream from a local iSight quite easily; what is happening here is simply a quicktime movie that does that embedded in a web page. No data from the iSight is being transmitted to the Internet at all.

Apple still should provide a prefpane to turn off the iSight for sensitive enviroments, but this particular feature is basically a non issue.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

Gordio
Nov 28, 2006, 06:21 PM

I wish it had a shutter. One reviewer said sometimes it feels like big brother is watching you. I haven't used a imac w/ isight, so I don't know if it'll bug me. i plan to get a 24 incher when leopard comes out. I hope by then it has a shutter

2Four
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 07:49 PM

I have the first generation Intel Duo imac(20"), and tried the link, my built-in isight did not come on.
Whew...and yes it is not broken, it works just fine!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 02:34 PM

I had seen an Applescript on teh intarweb that requires the users password to activate the iSight. I should look for it.

Update: Here it is! (Haven't tried it, though.)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules