Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS X Snow Leopard returns to online Apple store

OS X Snow Leopard returns to online Apple store
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 21, 2012, 11:34 AM

Apple has put OS X Snow Leopard back on sale at its online store, at a cost of $20, notes French site MacGeneration. The software was originally pulled around the time of Mountain Lion's release. Snow Leopard is now two generations old, making the software's return somewhat unusual.

It serves as an important bridge for Apple, however, since the OS is the oldest one with access to the Mac App Store, and hence the ability to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Combined with it being the last version of OS X released on disc, the software can be essential for people with older Macs nevertheless wanting to stay current with apps and features.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 AM

Typical crApple form of manipulation.

armwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 AM

Not available under my login... I've got ML, and OS X server, nothing else.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 AM

Allowing virtualization might allow those of us with legacy access needs for rosetta/ppc applications and files to finally move forward and purchase new hardware without facing a 'software cliff' ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by armwt View Post
Not available under my login... I've got ML, and OS X server, nothing else.
Apple Online Store, not App Store.

armwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Tried that before I posted as well. Not listed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
Allowing virtualization might allow those of us with legacy access needs for rosetta/ppc applications and files to finally move forward and purchase new hardware without facing a 'software cliff' ? 
You can find instructions online.

Sadly, Apple allows virtualization of their OSen only from 10.7 onwards.

Apart from that:

THANK YOU APPLE for rectifying the idiot move of no longer selling the only way for people to actually use their new gear with their older machines.

Now all that's needed is to allow people to buy 10.7 again, to actually get iCloud running on machines that cannot be upgraded to 10.8.

Edit: Apparently, it's gone again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2012, 12:21 PM

Egad.

It hath disappeared.

DeltaMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2012, 12:31 PM

I just checked (again)
Snow Leopard installer DVD is for sale at the online Apple Store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

I do wish that folks would actually check first before posting here:
I had a need to purchase Lion just about 2 weeks ago.

It is available through the same method that you can use to get Snow Leopard (even when that was gone from the Apple Store)
Call 1-800-MY-APPLE, ask for a sales rep, who will take your order over the phone, and supply you with a redemption code that will allow you to purchase Lion in the App Store (which is the only method, as far as I know)
And, Lion shows up in my App Store as a purchased app. You CAN'T view the information about Lion, but if you click the download button, Lion will download and install (although I don't install at that point, the download is just to get the installer - which I transfer to a flash drive for my own use.
Works very nicely.
Why download if I already have Lion? Apple updated Lion to 10.7.5 after ML release, making it less easy to get. But, if you download, you get whatever the latest full install version is. So, I have a full 10.7.5 installer, for backup use, etc.

Before someone asks, Snow Leopard is NOT a download on the App Store, Apple ships that out on DVD, as always.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Typical crApple form of manipulation.
If you hate Apple so much, wtf are you doing on a Mac site? Typical troll...
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2012, 02:07 PM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

ADeweyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2012, 02:37 PM

This is good to hear. I consider Snow Leopard the High Water mark of OS X.

It is fast and efficient, and predates the out-of-control skeuomorphism and misguided incorporation of iOS features into the desktop OS. Lion and Mountain Lion were huge steps backwards in efficiency and usability for desktop OSs, in my opinion.

I'd love it even more if this indicated that Apple would develop iCloud integration for Snow Leopard -- not because I love iCloud, but because it's necessary for keeping your desktop in live sync with mobile devices. Of course, I'd love it even more than that if they just made it possible to keep Desktops running Snow Leopard in live sync with recent versions of iOS without going through iCloud, but I know that's too much to ask.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaMac View Post
I had a need to purchase Lion just about 2 weeks ago.

It is available through the same method that you can use to get Snow Leopard (even when that was gone from the Apple Store)
Call 1-800-MY-APPLE, ask for a sales rep, who will take your order over the phone, and supply you with a redemption code that will allow you to purchase Lion in the App Store (which is the only method, as far as I know)
Thank you — this is excellent info.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2012, 05:28 PM

For the record, Snow Leopard was always available, but not online or in retail (until now). You could always call Apple, tell them you had Leopard and wanted to upgrade, and they'd sell you the DVD for $30+shipping.

Apple has probably taken the decision to make the DVD directly orderable again because they are getting thousands of phone requests from lazy sods that have FINALLY decided that the inconvenience of not being able to run anything new (or they've bought a new iOS device that requires a newer OS to sync to) has FINALLY pushed them to upgrade as far as their current machine will go.

Apple is VERY HAPPY to facilitate things that will result in more sales of later OSes, more software, more iOS devices, etc.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mojkarma
Nov 22, 2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Apple has probably taken the decision to make the DVD directly orderable again because they are getting thousands of phone requests from lazy sods that have FINALLY decided that the inconvenience of not being able to run anything new (or they've bought a new iOS device that requires a newer OS to sync to) has FINALLY pushed them to upgrade as far as their current machine will go.
I wouldn't call people who work with computers instead of nervously waiting for the next os update as lazy sods. My wife never asks me when will Apple release a new OS. She simply works with the computer and doesn't care about any updates and "new fancy features". I wouldn't call her a lazy sod. But that's me. There are more civil ways to express the reasons why Apple decided to put SL again into the store.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mojkarma View Post
I wouldn't call people who work with computers instead of nervously waiting for the next os update as lazy sods. My wife never asks me when will Apple release a new OS. She simply works with the computer and doesn't care about any updates and "new fancy features". I wouldn't call her a lazy sod. But that's me. There are more civil ways to express the reasons why Apple decided to put SL again into the store.
Agreed.

I know a number of people who are far too busy working with their machines — making money — to give a shit what OS version they're on UNTIL the machine is unable to do something it needs to be doing (like, say, sync up the new business phone).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 12:26 AM

LOOK WHAT I EARNED FROM MR CHASM
Warning Issued
Good. Maybe if you get a few more of those we won't have to see any more of your nonsense.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2012, 01:13 AM

Also, piracy or otherwise, getting your OS from a torrent is not a good idea. You have no clue what modifications could have been done to it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 04:24 AM

Apart from that, illegally acquiring the software is in no way prerequisite to creating a modified install that will allow virtualization.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 23, 2012, 06:00 AM

Apart from that, illegally acquiring the software is in no way prerequisite to creating a modified install that will allow virtualization.
You know you can get a bootable virtual mac with open source technology right? With the right protocols running, you can get it up and running in a jiffy.

//DARWIN

Also, if you already own the license to your media, you are entitled to have a backup. So how would it be illegal?? You cannot acquire it illegally at this point because you already have it.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 23, 2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Also, piracy or otherwise, getting your OS from a torrent is not a good idea. You have no clue what modifications could have been done to it.
I say tinker to your hearts delights. Reverse engineering is legal for research/compatibility purposes here in the US.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 07:24 AM

You know you can get a bootable virtual mac with open source technology right? With the right protocols running, you can get it up and running in a jiffy.

//DARWIN

Also, if you already own the license to your media, you are entitled to have a backup. So how would it be illegal?? You cannot acquire it illegally at this point because you already have it.
Downloading a copy of Mac OS X off a torrent is illegal. Period.

There is absolutely no problem with creating a backup of a licensed copy, nor with tinkering with that copy. Neither involves illegally downloading it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I say tinker to your hearts delights. Reverse engineering is legal for research/compatibility purposes here in the US.
you don't read very carefully:

When you download a torrent, the chances are pretty high that SOMEONE ELSE has been doing some tinkering with it, beyond your control.

Pirating an OS from some unverified source is an extremely bad idea.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 23, 2012, 07:41 AM

you don't read very carefully:
When you download a torrent, the chances are pretty high that SOMEONE ELSE has been doing some tinkering with it, beyond your control.
Pirating an OS from some unverified source is an extremely bad idea.
I agree, but only if you do not do your due diligence in going over comments, sources and such. The average person, yes.... I do not recommend it either unless you have a machine you consider near trash as a test bed. Practice makes perfect... yet I know not everything is rosy in the wild. ESET is my friend for that reason as well. I still do not call it pirating... but no need to argue about that.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 23, 2012, 08:04 AM

So what if I upload what I already own to only download it to my convenience later?... Call it my own cloud per say.... Still sound illegal?? hmmmmmm

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

If you do it via a file sharing service, you're sharing files.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2012, 12:50 PM

LOOK WHAT I EARNED FROM MR chas_m"]Warning Issued
Conversation between chas_m and me

chas_m
Nov 21, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Promotion of software piracy is not allowed on these forums.
PATHETIC... torrents do NOT equal piracy you wanker. BACKUPS ARE A LEGAL RIGHT!.... As Ren would say, YOOOUUU EEEDIOTTT!!![/quote]
To be fair, the forum rules Announcement was lost in the migration. I've reposted it in Feedback for reference. We only ban piracy discussion when it includes detailed instructions.

But the mods in specific forums set their local tone, and may enforce rules more or less strictly than the forums in general. News threads appear on the 'NN front pages, so they have reason to enforce it more strictly here.

Don't abuse the staff. You can complain about moderation decisions in Feedback if you like. But insulting the person rather than their actions may draw more than a warning.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 24, 2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
To be fair, the forum rules Announcement was lost in the migration. I've reposted it in Feedback for reference. We only ban piracy discussion when it includes detailed instructions.
But the mods in specific forums set their local tone, and may enforce rules more or less strictly than the forums in general. News threads appear on the 'NN front pages, so they have reason to enforce it more strictly here.
Don't abuse the staff. You can complain about moderation decisions in Feedback if you like. But insulting the person rather than their actions may draw more than a warning.
Is there a reason you guys removed the +1 and -1??? That was a great feature if only for popularity measure. Can't you guys do how many likes and dislikes and keep both totals in view??

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2012, 10:29 AM

Ill come back, new username with MAC address and IPs... no stopping a good thing.
Ca$h? Is that you?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Ca$h?  Is that you?
Hope that member was intelligent.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2012, 03:51 PM

Board search is up there, at the top of this page.

Ca$h has had about fifty different handles on here. He's still around, but he's grown up some.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM

I'm quite certain that Apple execs know about the world of torrents, which is why Apple has been supplying the torrent world with fake dmgs for the past (I think) 5 versions of OS X.

Quite frankly, I'm content with shelling out $20 for OS X 10.6 (if I had only an older Mac) or update to 10.8 for the same price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules