Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: Half-Life comes to Mac, SwitchEasy cocoon for rMBP

Briefly: Half-Life comes to Mac, SwitchEasy cocoon for rMBP
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 28, 2013, 02:54 PM

Valve has released a Mac-compatible version of the original Half-Life on Steam. While its sequel, Half-Life 2 and other Source engine based games have been available on the platform for some time, the original 1998 release had been limited to Windows until now. The Steam page for the game hasn't been updated to show Mac compatibility yet, but we at MacNN have confirmed that the game will indeed download and run on modern Macs. Half-Life is available as a $10 download from the Steam store.

SwitchEasy releases cocoon for Retina MacBook Pro SwitchEasy Limited has launched a new polycarbonate case designed specifically for the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. The cocoon has a texturized top and bottom surface that protect the device from scratches and dents, and also comes with 4 rubber feet that provide solid grip on tables and other flat surfaces. Initially being offered in four colors, smoke black, milky white, slate grey, and yellow jade, the SwitchEasy cocoon can be ordered online at a cost of $50.

pairof9s
Senior User
Jan 28, 2013, 04:18 PM

So Mac OS X 10.8 users are now able to play a game compatible with Windows 98 (and for $10, no less)...thanks for the buns-busting effort, Valve!

drbroom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 PM

If it's only available threw "Steam" then it is NOT worth getting!!!

Steam is the worst way to play any game! Buy it threw the App store or via CD but DON'T use Steam!!!!!

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 29, 2013, 03:12 AM

Games.... isn't there better things to do in life? I've heard horror stories about steam/valve or whatever too.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by drbroom View Post
If it's only available threw "Steam" then it is NOT worth getting!!!

Steam is the worst way to play any game! Buy it threw the App store or via CD but DON'T use Steam!!!!!
Distributing media and games digitally only (e.g. Steam, Apple's App Store, etc.) saves money in many ways (e.g. packaging costs, handling, packing, shipping, etc.). If you don't like it then don't buy them. I LOVE Steam and am grateful they've ported an old game to OSX as Half-Life is fantastic. I played it years ago in BootCamp but it's worth another play as it's so good.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 29, 2013, 08:45 PM

I think Duece Ex for mac was better. I am talking OS9 times... bring that back and I will call it a wash.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2013, 09:33 PM

No one would play the original Deus Ex today. It looks like utter crap.

I am interested in playing the original HL though. I never played it, and I'm genuinely curious.

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 30, 2013, 02:11 AM

It may look like utter crap by todays standards, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
I think Duece Ex for mac was better. I am talking OS9 times... bring that back and I will call it a wash.
Deus Ex was really good...reminds me vaguely of Rogue Spear in that it's a game that sneakines is a huge benefit but Deus Ex had great NPC interaction.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 AM

Games.... isn't there better things to do in life?
Yeah. You could spend your time trolling a Mac-specialized news site's comments with anti-Apple bullshit.

MUCH more worthwhile.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2013, 06:54 PM

It may look like utter crap by todays standards, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.
Actually, it looked like utter crap at the time too. People were willing to be forgiving then because of the deep gameplay, but not today.

Lots of people have grabbed both Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution in sale bundles on Steam, and will often remark that they can't get into Deus Ex because they can't stand looking at it. Lots of other games from that era don't trigger that response. Unreal Tournament and Quake III both came before Deus Ex, and both look far, far better than Deus Ex.

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 AM

I think that the original should not be packed in with such a contrasting release. What else would you expect?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 31, 2013, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Deus Ex was really good...reminds me vaguely of Rogue Spear in that it's a game that sneakines is a huge benefit but Deus Ex had great NPC interaction.
Yup, those were the best points.... Using silence was heavy in some missions....slow and careful execution was key; tiptoeing in for new position, surveying your location, checking your six, choosing to change the elements in the game as you interact/progress. It really had you in the game! Couple that with dynamic lighting effects and great control response, tie this all up and you have one spectacular package!

Ai wasn't too bad either; you could turn on your friends or not know you are working with an enemy. Making your one shot one kills was pure SWEETNESS (Just remember to save often, haha)

Forum Links
Forum Rules