Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 179)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2010, 06:06 PM

The Iron Curtain is getting played again somehow. I spent another 4-8 hours on it this weekend.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2010, 07:15 PM

post a date/time and I'll log on. I'm not gonna play halo by myself.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2010, 10:25 AM

Evil Controllers summons the Evil D-Pad for Xbox 360 | Joystiq

Finally someone made a controller with d-pad buttons.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 review: Not the sequel you're looking for | Joystiq
While the first Force Unleashed tied up a compelling piece of Star Wars canon in a nice bow, the sequel has no aspiration to be a major part of lore or to be nearly as epic. It simply cobbles together glorified fan fiction for what amounts to an unexceptional subplot as it abruptly ends in the second act screaming, "SEQUEL GOES HERE!"
However, with similar, more precise action games in the third-person like God of War, Batman: Arkham Asylum and, even, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow available, the Force Unleashed 2 just feels inelegant. You'll spam whatever button activates the power that the specific enemy you're fighting at the time is weak against and watch the same close-combat grab animations hundreds of times. There really isn't a need to change up the combat routines for specific enemies because they are weak to such specific things.
The 'game' part of The Force Unleashed 2 isn't bad, but everything else is so dumb it's hard to enjoy the experience. Some elements, like controls and technical work, are passable. But as a follow-up experience to the original game, it's one I can never wash off, wish I could forget and don't plan to acknowledge ever existed.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Finally someone made a controller with d-pad buttons.
Actually, that is one thing that has bugged the hell out of me, in certain games. The d-pad. Especially when a game assigns different actions to each direction of the d-pad, and you press it in that direction and it reads a different direction and does a different action which is the wrong action.

Nice to see one with buttons instead of that stupid X.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2010, 01:50 PM

It would be clutch for GoW2. I misselected weapons in that constantly, though the awkward placement of the d-pad on the controller probably didn't help.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 12:04 PM

Microsoft Game Studios not that interested in HD remakes | Joystiq
After the success of the God of War Collection, Sony is going all in on the HD remakes, with re-tuned versions of the Sly Cooper, Ico, Medal of Honor and Oddworld games all coming out on the PS3. But fans of the original Halo, Blinx: The Time Sweeper and Voodoo Vince probably won't get to see their favorites in high definition -- Microsoft's Phil Spencer says the company isn't all that interested in remaking older games with HD graphics.
Good. I've been reading this obsession of Sony's as a reflection of their current software status. It helps that I never had interest in 99% of the original XBOX games, but in the end give me new games with new gameplay stuff.

Joystiq remembers the PlayStation 2 | Joystiq
In the announcement, the publisher said the system was "responsible for raising the bar by introducing popular franchises such as God of War, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, and Metal Gear Solid, all of which live on as fan favorites and continue to make their way into the hands of new gamers to this day."

Okay, so Sony's memory may be a bit hazy (Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid actually debuted on the original PlayStation), but our own memories about the system are crystal clear.
Sony is very quickly turning into the Al Bundy of video game console makers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 12:27 PM

Not to mention there was a metal gear game for NES if my memory serves me correctly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 12:32 PM

They were definitely referring to "Solid"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 02:07 PM

I'm actually all for the HD remakes of some games. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus make perfect sense (more so than the God of War Collection). However, I did think the Sly Cooper Collection and odd choice.

Just to remember how great a console it was: The Top 100 PS2 Games (ongoing)

To put the PS2's depth of quality into perspective, SSX Tricky was #95, and I probably put 80-100 hours into it.

This generation is definitely not as lop-sided as the last. The quality seems to be so spread out, which is actually a problem when there are three major home consoles out there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Just to remember how great a console it was: The Top 100 PS2 Games (ongoing)
We've already had this discussion, but the point is, anyone who played loved those games and isn't a psycho console polygamist likely still has the stuff. It's been less than a decade. I mean c'mon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 03:03 PM

Whoa, suddenly a big news day.

Blizzard: Diablo III is 'suited to consoles' - Destructoid.com
I realize that it'll still be better on a PC, and even our large throng of console brethren will abandon their 360s and PS3s for this, but as someone who gets no pleasure sitting in front a computer to game, I have hope.

Gamasutra - News - Report: Zynga's $5.51B Valuation Higher Than Retail-Centric EA
Bloomberg BusinessWeek cited SharesPost, an exchange for shares of privately-held companies like Zynga, which states that the San Francisco-headquartered company has an estimated value of $5.51 billion, greater than Nasdaq-traded EA's $5.16 billion value.
This doesn't sound quite apples-to-apples, but WTF?

Oprah appearance sees Kinect sales jump like woah - Destructoid.com
According to Amazon, Kinect's pre-orders jumped by 42% after Winfrey got her audience to act like salivating dogs over the gadget. It's now charted at number seven for all videogame sales with the 250 GB Xbox 360 bundle proving particularly successful and hitting number 43 in overall sales charts.
I guess this kinda taints any future Move comparisons.

Kinect will be sold at a profit - Destructoid.com
Don Mattrick tells the New York Times that, although the first Kinect prototype cost $30,000 to make, the system can now sell for "$150 a pop and still turn a profit."
No shit. You certainly weren't selling it at $150 to promote sales.

The People Who Made GoldenEye Were Almost Purchased By The People Who Are Making GoldenEye
"They made the best initial offer, and Rare looked at both of us and, from the way I saw it, was more interested in partnering with Activision. I think it's because they wanted to be third-party, independent of all platforms."
The PlayStation Phone? Images, hardware specs surface
What's interesting is Sony's response to the images. Sony of Europe first told sites such as Gamasutra that the images were fakes, but now the PR machine has kicked in and changed the responses to a firm "no comment." Engadget has fired back, saying the phone is definitely real.
I didn't post this earlier because of the above, but the situation does remind me those theories that the iPod Touch was just a test for the iPad.

Of course, from the looks of things, Sony hasn't learned a damn thing from the PSPGo.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 03:21 PM

We've already had this discussion, but the point is, anyone who played loved those games and isn't a psycho console polygamist likely still has the stuff. It's been less than a decade. I mean c'mon.
I don't know personally know anyone who has kept all their games. Almost everyone (around here) sold their systems at the end of their lifespan to make room for a 360, and a few like me who jumped on the PS3 bandwagon the year after.

3 things...

1. Achievements/Trophies - There are plenty of A/T whores out there who would pick up the games to re-live them and achieve A/T while burying themselves in nostalgia.

2. HD Graphics - Why MSoft does seem so opposed to assigning a small team to update the graphics for Halo:CE and re-release it on XBL? They'd sell a ton. People who invested big money into big TVs want to take advantage of that resolution and real estate. Playing a 480p game on a 32"-60" screen is not enjoyable (I'm looking at you, Nintendo).

3. Nostalgia gaming is big. It's not big with everyone, but it does appeal to a large group of fans. A lot of people get their kicks through emulators, but the vast majority of people still don't know where to start. Why not cut emulation off at the pass and offer up an upgraded version of games that people loved 5-20 years ago?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 03:25 PM

The PS Phone looks completely uninteresting, Oprah's viewers are idiots, and the Zynga/EA news makes me want to pry my eyes out with a spork.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 03:28 PM

1. Achievements/Trophies - There are plenty of A/T whores out there who would pick up the games to re-live them and achieve A/T while burying themselves in nostalgia.
No.

2. HD Graphics - Why MSoft does seem so opposed to assigning a small team to update the graphics for Halo:CE and re-release it on XBL? They'd sell a ton.
Don't rules out some contractual reasons up til now.

3. Nostalgia gaming is big. It's not big with everyone, but it does appeal to a large group of fans. A lot of people get their kicks through emulators, but the vast majority of people still don't know where to start. Why not cut emulation off at the pass and offer up an upgraded version of games that people loved 5-20 years ago?
Because I'd like new games, please. The majority of games these days are sequels that polish existing gameplay, rather than innovate. Now we're offering the old unpolished gameplay with new polished pictures. It screams "We got nuthin'".

I was wildly gung-ho for PerfectDark. Two days with Modern Warfare 2 and I knew I probably wouldn't bother.

(10+ year-old games I'm fine with)

The entire crux of argument is "lots people will buy it". I could give less of shit what people will buy mindlessly. That's Wii reasoning.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2010, 03:31 PM

You know what less than 10 year-old remake I'd buy? Star Wars Battlefront. For obvious reasons.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 04:49 PM

You know what less than 10 year-old remake I'd buy? Star Wars Battlefront. For obvious reasons.
I agree 100%. I still play Battlefront II on my 360, but obviously online multiplayer is a no-go anymore.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Don't rules out some contractual reasons up til now.
True.

Because I'd like new games, please. The majority of games these days are sequels that polish existing gameplay, rather than innovate. Now we're offering the old unpolished gameplay with new polished pictures. It screams "We got nuthin'".

I was wildly gung-ho for PerfectDark. Two days with Modern Warfare 2 and I knew I probably wouldn't bother.
You mean a sequel that polished existing gameplay?

The entire crux of argument is "lots people will buy it". I could give less of **** what people will buy mindlessly. That's Wii reasoning.
You've bought Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, Halo: Reach...

The crucial factor is not whether or not people are buying it. It's whether or not they're playing it. People aren't playing their Wii games, but people are playing sequels of established franchises in droves. If they actually play these re-makes, then I'd say they're worth it, and it's a good thing. I don't care if a game like MW2 rehashes if it's actually worth the experience. If it sucks, then stop making them.

Considering how many people passed over ICO and SotC originally, I'd say it's a good thing they're being upgraded. It will give more people a chance to experience them.

Additionally, viral marketing didn't really exist in those two games' time, at least not to its current extent. People going ga-ga over them on the Internet will likely push forward sales and expose them to a game they shouldn't have missed.

In the end, I don't see this being a huge problem. There haven't been that many HD re-makes so far, and so far during this generation, we've been introduced to a ton of new, original titles that innovated in various ways:

Borderlands
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Braid
Shatter
Limbo
Batman:AA
Assassin's Creed
Infamous
Left 4 Dead
Shadow Complex
Demon's Souls
Heavy Rain
Resistance

A lot of these games spawned sequels that companies are cashing in on, but they're all new to this generation of consoles, and they're actually some of the highest-rated/selling games of the past several years. I don't see new, fresh games getting the shaft.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Oct 27, 2010 at 06:02 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 06:00 PM

Oh, and I'm stealing a quote from you for my sig.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2010, 06:09 PM

My last post for the day: I like this guy.

In an interview with IGN, THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell said the additions of PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 Kinect this holiday will expand the games audience and give the industry a much-needed console life extension.

"Frankly, the last thing I think the industry needs now is new hardware. You look at the games coming out on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 now and they look stunning," Farrell said. "If we were to have another $1000 box that the hardware guys have to subsidize and that software developers have to spend even more money developing, that model just doesn't work."
When asked about when a good time-frame would be for new consoles, Farrell couldn't give a hard date, but said he doesn't see the value for gamers having to go out and buy new hardware in the future.

"When you talk about games or consoles, I always go back to what's in it for the gamer?" Farrell explained. "What's the proposition for the person shelling out the $300-$400 for the system and the $60 for a game, what is value proposition for that gamer?"

"And right now, I don't know what that is in the next console cycle."

Farrell believes the evolution of games will focus on better emotional experiences found in film and movies. He says today's games have good enough graphics and audio.

"Better graphics? They're pretty darn good now. Better sound? No. Gameplay? Probably not. So I think the ways games are evolving now is really a direction we're going. Where it's going to be is in the play experience; richer stories, better characters, production values that are much more like movies."
I hope he's right, and I hope Sony/MSoft/Nintendo are listening (though I doubt they are).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2010, 07:42 AM

GT5 News - no its not a release date, its a made up racing car by the Red Bull F1 team of a car without the rules to be the fastest racing car in teh worldz evar! It's called the Red Bull X1

News - gran-turismo.com

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 10:33 AM

Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition hits North America on Dec. 12 | Joystiq
Nintendo says that sales will continue "while supplies last," which makes it sound like there will be only one run of the All-Stars collection.
Don't worry, it'll be come available again in 2018.

Nintendo DS Sales Fall Through The Floor
In the six months leading up to September 30, 2009, Nintendo sold 11.7 million DS units worldwide. In the six months leading up to September 30, 2010, that figure has dropped by nearly half, to 6.69 million.
Consoles wish they had these problems.

Xbox manager Scott Henson to head up Rare | Joystiq
Microsoft has announced the immediate appointment of a new studio manager for its wholly owned, UK-based developer, Rare. Scott Henson, who has been involved with the Xbox brand since before the original black behemoth launched in 2002, will relocate from the US to Birmingham within the coming weeks.
I feel like this might be it for RARE. Since the purchase they've done what? PerfectDark Zero and the avatar system. Unless this guy can magic them into a relevant developer again, I'd think MS will flush these guys eventually. Speaking out of my ass, of course.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 10:52 AM

You mean a sequel that polished existing gameplay?
Yeah, from this gen and makes one from last gen look like a pile of crap in the gameplay department. My point exactly.

You've bought Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, Halo: Reach...
Two of those three are fresh to this gen. The one that isn't I particularly regret picking up because it's gameplay is stuck in 2001 and doesn't hold up.

The crucial factor is not whether or not people are buying it. It's whether or not they're playing it.
Bullllllllllllllllsheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. They're getting remade because they'll sell on nostalgia alone.

People aren't playing their Wii games, but people are playing sequels of established franchises in droves. If they actually play these re-makes, then I'd say they're worth it, and it's a good thing.
Worth it ≠ Good thing. See: Nintendo

Considering how many people passed over ICO and SotC originally, I'd say it's a good thing they're being upgraded. It will give more people a chance to experience them.
Well, you had better hope that your interpretation of their previous sales is right, and they got missed in a sea of great titles. Personally, I think it's bizarre that these remakes are going to beat out their sequel, Last Guardian, to market.

In the end, I don't see this being a huge problem. There haven't been that many HD re-makes so far, and so far during this generation, we've been introduced to a ton of new, original titles that innovated in various ways:

Borderlands
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Braid
Shatter
Limbo
Batman:AA
Infamous
Left 4 Dead
Heavy Rain

A lot of these games spawned sequels that companies are cashing in on, but they're all new to this generation of consoles, and they're actually some of the highest-rated/selling games of the past several years. I don't see new, fresh games getting the shaft.[/QUOTE]Yeah, sorry, Arcade titles don't count. Indie developers injecting fresh content in this gen doesn't cover for the mainstream companies repackaging old crap. And I didn't say this was a "huge" problem.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 10:57 AM

I hope he's right, and I hope Sony/MSoft/Nintendo are listening (though I doubt they are).
Meh, let's be realistic. All the issues we had with the Wii on debut? That's why you upgrade your hardware eventually. Compare your gameplay experience of GTA: Vice City to GTA IV and tell me the new hardware doesn't offer a reason to upgrade. Compare your Fable to Fable III.

Every gen we get told graphics are "good enough." Every new gen we get shown how much room for improvement can be made anyway, HD or not.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2010, 01:21 PM

Even more so, that gets overlooked is AI. That is something that more power can ALWAYS improve on. Imagine getting a game where the enemies in the world can actually 'think'. Games than can adjust to how you play, etc. There is a LOT to be improved on with more powerful hardware.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Even more so, that gets overlooked is AI. That is something that more power can ALWAYS improve on. Imagine getting a game where the enemies in the world can actually 'think'. Games than can adjust to how you play, etc. There is a LOT to be improved on with more powerful hardware.
I was using quick easy comparison, but yes. Let's not forget amount objects on screen. This can people/monsters/vehicles. Always room for improvement there.

Annnnnnd combine the two.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2010, 02:11 PM

I don't care what anyone thinks about it...I absolutely will be buying this. I wore my SNES copy out. I've been wondering why it took so long. I guess they were holding it for the anniversary.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Bullllllllllllllllsheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. They're getting remade because they'll sell on nostalgia alone.
I'm talking about the customer's perspective, not the publisher's.

If I get my money's worth out of the HD remakes, then I'm happy. I don't care what the publisher's motivation was. I know their #1 motivation is to make money, but in order for them to do so, they have to put out titles that people care about.

Worth it ≠ Good thing. See: Nintendo
Nintendo has plenty of flaws, and they rely almost exclusively on decades-old franchises, but many of those titles are still very, very good. Galaxy 1/2, Zelda:TP, Metroid Prime 3, SB:Brawl, and Punch Out are all critically-acclaimed (and sold like crazy).

Well, you had better hope that your interpretation of their previous sales is right, and they got missed in a sea of great titles. Personally, I think it's bizarre that these remakes are going to beat out their sequel, Last Guardian, to market.
Yeah, I admit hope might have something to do with it.

I think they're anticipating ICO/SotC stimulating people's interest in Last Guardian, similarly to the God of War Collection preceding God of War 3 to the market.

Yeah, sorry, Arcade titles don't count. Indie developers injecting fresh content in this gen doesn't cover for the mainstream companies repackaging old crap. And I didn't say this was a "huge" problem.
Why not? I don't care whether it's $60, $15, downloadable, disc-based, etc...

If it's a quality title, I think it counts. IMHO, XBLA/PSN game development has been one of the greatest things about this generation.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 02:44 PM

I'm talking about the customer's perspective, not the publisher's.

If I get my money's worth out of the HD remakes, then I'm happy. I don't care what the publisher's motivation was. I know their #1 motivation is to make money, but in order for them to do so, they have to put out titles that people care about.
Well, the Live charts haven't shown any (of the few) remakes putting a dent in the rankings thus far.

Nintendo has plenty of flaws, and they rely almost exclusively on decades-old franchises, but many of those titles are still very, very good. Galaxy 1/2, Zelda:TP, Metroid Prime 3, SB:Brawl, and Punch Out are all critically-acclaimed (and sold like crazy).
There's too much of a difference of opinion to bother with arguing this one. Let's just say that most of those customers don't seem to be investing in any fresh content.

Also, check your facts. Punch Out did not "sell like crazy". I know, because I predicted it would.

Why not? I don't care whether it's $60, $15, downloadable, disc-based, etc...
Because they don't have the exposure, reach, or impact.

If it's a quality title, I think it counts. IMHO, XBLA/PSN game development has been one of the greatest things about this generation.
It's been one big fat "meh" for me.

It occurs to me that this isn't best discussion to have with someone who buys pretty much anything.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2010, 03:30 PM

Well, the Live charts haven't shown any (of the few) remakes putting a dent in the rankings thus far.
Were previous-gen XBox titles made available with HD and/or achievements? I'm ignorant on this one. I thought they just threw the identical games on Live.

There's too much of a difference of opinion to bother with arguing this one.
Actually, most of our arguments in this thread could be settled this way.

Let's just say that most of those customers don't seem to be investing in any fresh content.
This will never change.

Also, check your facts. Punch Out did not "sell like crazy". I know, because I predicted it would.
Fine. I just assumed it did, honestly. I didn't pull up the numbers.

And the others?

It occurs to me that this isn't best discussion to have with someone who buys pretty much anything.
I chuckled because it's true.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 03:39 PM

Were previous-gen XBox titles made available with HD and/or achievements? I'm ignorant on this one. I thought they just threw the identical games on Live.
Negative on both. But anything in the arcade (remakes) can get in the top 10.

This will never change.
That was a criticism of Wii owners (Or the Wii). Look at all the games you listed. All the new titles selling on the Wii aren't games.

Fine. I just assumed it did, honestly.
Well that just makes me feel better about this conversation.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2010, 04:08 PM

This is the email I just sent Microsoft... Good Times...

I should not have to run around in circles to simply change my account status. It's obvious to me that you are doing this on purpose i order to get people to not change their accounts.

Setting my account to not auto-renew was an exercise in complete frustration. You guys hide the method for doing so in the most non-obvious place and make it as hard as possible for someone to cancel. It's a very deceptive and dishonest way to do business.

I thought I had managed to (frustratingly) cancel my auto-renewing months ago... and today I got an email saying, YES, you have. Your account is not auto-renewing... AND THEN later in the same day, I got ANOTHER email from you guys saying THANK YOU FOR PURCHASING ANOTHER YEAR OF XBOX LIVE GOLD.

What is this garbage? If you charged me with another year of Xbox Live Gold I'm going to contact the Better Business Bureau.

No other company makes it this hard to change something so simple. Hiding functionality from your customers as a way to hope to dissuade them from canceling service is a dishonest and shameful way to do business. It makes me not want to be a Microsoft customer. It's a horrible way to do business and reflects VERY POORLY on your entire operation.

My Xbox Live Account is ________________. I want this account to be set to NOT auto renew to Gold. I want a Silver account for the time being.

Please CHANGE IT. Do not make me use your horrible website to do it. Do not make me call your help line. JUST FIX IT.

Also, please tell me why I set my account to not auto renew and then received an email saying I had auto renewed. Is my account auto-renewing or not?

Please also forward this to the proper department and tell them that the cancelation process is (I believe) purposefully confusing and difficult and I consider that insulting and borderline fraudulent. It should not take a tech savvy person an hour to figure out how to do something as simple as downgrade an account. I had to look up a tutorial from a 3rd party site just to do it. THAT'S AN AWFUL WAY TO CONDUCT BUSINESS.

Have I mentioned that IT'S TERRIBLE? Because it is. Shame on you.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 04:09 PM

Since we're speaking HD remakes, if you going to do one, do it like this:

Searching For Big Country: An Outsize Guide To The New NBA Jam
The best decision the designers made, though, was to keep the old game's extreme depth perception problem, which turns the simple act of grabbing a rebound into a game of binocular soccer. Games like NBA Jam work best, I think, when they inspire debates between players about who most deserves the grace of God. The best way to achieve this effect is to make part of the game absolutely arbitrary and frustrating. In the Madden franchise, that used to mean lots of fumbling and false start. In NBA Jam, it's binocular-soccer rebounding.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
This is the email I just sent Microsoft... Good Times...
This is just one thing in a litany of issues with their business approach. Overpriced peripherals, endless ads (you're paying to see) and, hilariously, worthless dashboard shortcuts (Yeah, I totally need a shortcut for Spotlight MS, thanks!).

This is why I cleverly let my debit card information expire and just bought cards.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2010, 04:20 PM

Looking back on this generation all three console makers have been pretty crappy overall.

Microsoft with their horrible hardware problems, expensive everything and shady nickel and diming ways...
Sony with their ridiculous launch price and second rate online experience...
And Nintendo with their... yeah, Nintendo with their EVERYTHING. The Wii is a disaster in my opinion.

I should have gone with Sony this generation... but doing that would have had me jumping into this generation 2 or 3 years after I did with the 360, which would also have been annoying. I also like the 360 controller way better and have a slight preference for their exclusive library over Sony's. Ugh.

I'm ready for the one console future... and I do believe it's coming. Give it 10-15 years...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

I'm ready for the one console future... and I do believe it's coming. Give it 10-15 years...
I don't know. I could see a future where consoles fold back into PCs which are easier to connect to TVs... but then I see like 5 different Steam systems that become the "new" console.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2010, 04:33 PM

That's kind of how I see it going as well.

At some point, we're going to hit a wall, where time and money are the only thing holding back what games can be. I don't think we're really that far off. At some point the idea of multiple consoles is going to feel incredibly antiquated.

Games will be built to certain specs and you will be able to walk into Best Buy and buy a Samsung, or Sony or Microsoft or Toshiba or whatever ENTERTAINMENT BOX and use it to play any game and connect to any online movie or show downloading service you want.

Different companies will come out with peripherals to try and differentiate themselves.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2010, 04:50 PM

I think we're going to see things like AppleTV and Google TV built into television sets/blu-ray players/etc. much as Netflix has been, and publishers will simply start selling games through those as they have on Android and iOS.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2010, 11:07 AM

I'm going ignore all the Big 3s quarterly earnings reports. Thank me later

Friday News

Sony says lack of cellular connection limits PSP, 'gamers aren't satisfied' with smartphone titles | Joystiq
Adding more fuel to the "PlayStation Phone is so totally happening" bonfire, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior VP of marketing, Peter Dille, has told CNN that PSP in its current state isn't reaching its full potential, due to the fact that it lacks an always-on (read: cellular data network) connection. "The PSP is a Wi-Fi device," Dille stated, adding, "People are used to having always-connected devices." Devices like ... smartphones?

Rare's new boss sees Kinect as 'centerpiece' in studio strategy | Joystiq
Rare's new boss quite obviously sent from MS for a reason.

The Future of PC Gaming, According To The Lead Creator Of BioShock
But here's something you can take the bank: If you want to know the future of gaming, buy a PC. And pay attention. Because above all, that thing on your desk is a crystal ball.

Japan Hated The Xbox Before It Was Even Out
"We heard all kind of negative things from Japan, like we couldn't use the name Xbox because ‘X' means death, and the console couldn't be black, because that also was the colour of death. The first Xbox consoles we released in Japan weren't black, in fact, they were a smokey colour – but I was always thinking to myself, ‘hang on, isn't the PS2 black?!'
Somehow this article fails to mention Japan's xenophobia regarding foreign product.

Mega Man's Creator Quits Capcom
Guess Capcom legend Keiji Inafune wasn't kidding around when he said he hated his job : the Capcom exec said today he's leaving the company he's been with for 23 years at the end of the month.
"People that really know me, can see where I'm coming from. I'm not a regular dude. It's probably because I'm strange."

He closes saying he'll do his best and with a "thank you".

In an interview with 4Gamer.net, Inafune states that he wants to work for Capcom. "Honestly, the situation has become such that I can't." Inafune could be referring to the reasons he gives in his blog post.
I like this guy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2010, 03:33 PM

Apparently this is what the news sites have been pulling quotes/stories from all week.

Inside story: The birth of Xbox | Game development | Features by Develop

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2010, 10:58 AM

Monday News

Xbox Live Fall Dashboard update coming November 1 | Joystiq
Already live. Looking forward to ESPN3 and the improved Party Chat, personally.

Greenberg: Kinect sales won't depend on review scores | Joystiq
"We'll definitely sell more sensors than the Wii sold when it launched or the Xbox 360 sold when it launched," said Greenberg, though he doesn't necessarily believe that sales will be dependent on high review scores.
Someone's a big believer in Oprah, I guess.

"The correlation between a review score for Halo: Reach and sales is very high, but Kinect Sports is more about just having fun," said Greenberg, adding that Microsoft would certainly like to see high review scores, though he doesn't expect "the same type of correlation between reviews and actual sales of the game." Greenberg's comments echo similar comments from EA's Peter Moore last year, when he stated that casual Wii game sales are more dependent on Amazon user reviews than Metacritic.
...and they're likely right.

1 Billion Entertainment Hours spent on Xbox LIVE every month - Xbox Live's Major Nelson
We’ve just released some interesting Xbox data that I thought you might enjoy:
  • There are 42 million consoles sold in 35 countries.
    In the last year alone there has been an 157 percent increase in the time spent watching movies and television on Xbox.
    42 percent of Xbox LIVE Gold members in the US are watching an average of an hour of television and movies on their Xbox, every single day or more than 30 hours of digitally distributed television and movies a month.
    The 25 million members of Xbox LIVE around the world are each spending more than 30 hours per month on the service – that means cumulatively Xbox LIVE members are now logging more than one billion hours a month on the service.
Ignoring the sticky subject of duplicates, more than 50% of 360 owners go Gold.

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-live...ces-rise-today

Sony to announce 'new PSP product' when 'the timing is right,' VP says | Joystiq
I usually lambast PR, but the situation is so ludicrous I almost feel bad for these people. Some idiot leaks stuff, so now you have to act even dumber and pretend you know nothing or strictly adhere to a timeline that's been severely compromised. On the bright side,Sony has a ton of experience in doing all of these things.

Mega-Man Creator's Blog Erased
Mega man's creator's resignation's voluntary sounding nature in doubt.

http://www.destructoid.com/bulletsto...ew-screenshots

Shiny.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2010, 04:07 PM

Hey, the PSP Phone is out of the bag so what can they do?

And I've thought since day one that Capcom pushed Inafune out the door.

PS: Not really liking the new dashboard update. It's so flat and boring, but I guess they are trying to make it match Zune and WP7. I'm not really happy about Sony and MS and the whole "Mandatory update" schtick they've been on the past year or so.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Hey, the PSP Phone is out of the bag so what can they do?
Admit it.

And I've thought since day one that Capcom pushed Inafune out the door.
Same here.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2010, 07:22 PM

I'm not really happy about Sony and MS and the whole "Mandatory update" schtick they've been on the past year or so.
It makes sense from a development and updating of apps like Netflix, etc. I don't really see why you wouldn't update for the 360, PS3 I can understand the desire to be able to keep another operating system.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2010, 02:16 AM

That's kind of how I see it going as well.

At some point, we're going to hit a wall, where time and money are the only thing holding back what games can be. I don't think we're really that far off. At some point the idea of multiple consoles is going to feel incredibly antiquated.

Games will be built to certain specs and you will be able to walk into Best Buy and buy a Samsung, or Sony or Microsoft or Toshiba or whatever ENTERTAINMENT BOX and use it to play any game and connect to any online movie or show downloading service you want.

Different companies will come out with peripherals to try and differentiate themselves.
I'd just like to go back to this point again. I was reading Keiji Inafune's interview (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847), and they sort of covered it. As it is now, your average AAA title runs $20-30 million, maybe more. As graphics become more and more demanding, timelines lengthen, and development teams grow larger, games could easily begin costing as much, if not more, than $200-million blockbuster movies. When games start costing that much money, we're going to see the death of consoles; to be able to recoup those massive amounts of money, companies are going to want to lower the barrier to entry, so the logical choice is leapfrogging consoles and going straight to consumers. Whether this means a resurgence of PC gaming or some new way of doing things (e.g. Google TV apps), it's an unsustainable system.

That, or the bubble will implode and we'll go through a dark ages of gaming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2010, 10:41 AM

I'm not really happy about Sony and MS and the whole "Mandatory update" schtick they've been on the past year or so.
It's almost unfair to mention Sony and MS int he same sentence. MS has, what, two updates a year, with only the major fall update. The time it took to download and install last night was shorter than what people complain the average Sony update takes to dl.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2010, 11:09 AM

I'd just like to go back to this point again. I was reading Keiji Inafune's interview (Translation of Keiji Inafune's Capcom departure interview - NeoGAF), and they sort of covered it. As it is now, your average AAA title runs $20-30 million, maybe more. As graphics become more and more demanding, timelines lengthen, and development teams grow larger, games could easily begin costing as much, if not more, than $200-million blockbuster movies. When games start costing that much money, we're going to see the death of consoles; to be able to recoup those massive amounts of money, companies are going to want to lower the barrier to entry, so the logical choice is leapfrogging consoles and going straight to consumers. Whether this means a resurgence of PC gaming or some new way of doing things (e.g. Google TV apps), it's an unsustainable system.

That, or the bubble will implode and we'll go through a dark ages of gaming.
i think we were talking about this years ago when Hawkeye lamented no one was producing software for the Wii even though it was technically easier to make a profit.

I, too, wonder how this will end. It looks like to make a good game it takes at least two years from the ground up. I think part of the reason the console generation has been lengthened is it reduces production costs for devs by allowing them to reuse and upgrade engines for longer.

But what happens in 5 years? I don't know. It seems like it'll just be a widened gap of the path we're already on: Watered down mass-consumption games (sports games, yearly FPSs), and the AAA works of "art" (GTA IV, BioShock Infinite). We'll just see more middle of the road stuff disappear.

Look at least year: So many Holiday releases stuff got pushed to Spring. Given the economic climate and constant complaints of an untenable expensive system, how does that make sense? It doesn't. But then again, this is the same world where NBA owners are crying that player salaries are too high and need to be cut by a third, and then proceed to spend the most money yet on free agents this summer (in the lead up to a lock -out).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2010, 11:15 AM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847
It's really, really long.

He does take some contradictory positions, talking about how expensive it's gotten to develop a game while later lamenting how the love is gone.

Indie Devs Not Happy With New Xbox 360 Dashboard
Xbox Live Indie Games used to be somewhat easily found in the "Games Marketplace" section of the dashboard. Now? They've been removed from the Games Marketplace, and shunted into an area called "specialty shops", which includes...the Avatar Marketplace and the Game Room.

That's certainly not an area you'd visit looking for games, and the developers who have provided games for the service are justifiably miffed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2010, 01:43 PM

Early thoughts on the new Dashboard update:

- It's clean and consistent. I like that. Others might think it's plain, but the old dashboard felt too cluttered, IMO.
- The Netflix implementation has been surpassed by the PS3's, but not by much. The new search feature helps.
- ESPN 3 is exactly the same as espn3.com, but presented pretty nicely. The icons are a little too big, though. And by a "little", I mean about 300% too big.

I haven't checked out the improved voice chat yet. I'll be curious to see if it's quickly noticeable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2010, 01:54 PM

I haven't had a chance to try ESPN3 yet, but I read a humongously critical review:

ESPN for Xbox Live is available... and it's terrible
Rundown: The Bads

Screen formatting rarely works (forced 4:3 for many events and even then it can be “native” which is roughly 640 x 480 and doesn’t fill the screen. Changing the “Display Mode” option does nothing)

Commercial breaks consist of a ‘Please Stand By” that plays for 2 to 5 minutes. This happens for OnDemand events. [update: I found a boxing match that plays this for almost 2 hours before you get to the actual fight.]

The ‘Highlights’ are like mini youtube clips that play for sometimes less than a minute (rarely worth navigating to them)

When you watch something like a Football game, you have to watch or fast forward through an hour or more of the pre-game show and jumping chapters only works once.

Yes, jumping ahead using the bumpers works once to jump ahead 1 hour, then it goes into 45 second mini jumps making it useless. The fast-forward option using the trigger buttons can be janky at best. (Example: The NHRA Championships are 8 hours long. To jump to the 2 hour point you will need to hit the right bumper 80 times with a buffer pause that happens in between each button hit)

HD rarely means High Definition. Some events honestly look like they were shot on a camera phone.

Finding something specific is impossible. There is no search option. So if you want to find Florida Gators play the Auburn Tigers, you just scroll and scroll though endless images with text on them in no order at all and hope it is on there. (Note: I gave up before I found it.

Pausing over anything at all in the menu will force a thumbnail version of the video to play even if you don’t want it to. While this might sound neat, it is a nightmare long term.

The Goods: You have the option to never use it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2010, 02:22 PM

Oh, and I really appreciate having to disable the welcome blade again with the update. **********s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules