Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4 HD reinstall?

ibook G4 HD reinstall?
missingbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:20 PM

I have sold my ibook G4 and want to clean the HD before sending it out. Can I use the install disks that came with it to clean the HD and have it act like a brand new computer?

Thanks
Gavin

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 01:09 PM

Yes. The Disk Utility is available when you boot off the OS X install CD/DVD. You can choose to zero out the drive one, five, or 32 times. Unless there's highly classified data on that laptop, once should be plenty and will take awhile. Once you zero out the drive, the OS X install CD/DVD will walk you through reinstalling the OS.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

missingbite  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 01:39 PM

When I go to disk utility, and select Macintosh HD and erase, the only optioni for me is to erace free space. How do I get to the point where I can erase the HD 1, 5, or 32 times? Please walk me through this process.

Thanks,
Gavin

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

Here's an Apple KB document that might help.

If it's not letting your format the entire drive, you're probably running Disk Utility from within OS X installed on your iBook. You need to boot off your OS X disc (the DVD or disc 1 of the CDs). When the CD/DVD finishes booting, you should be able to select Utilities > Disk Utility from the Finder menu on your screen. Depending on what version of OS X you've booted into, the Disk Utility may need to be accessed from the "Installer" menu item instead of "Utilities".

The details on how to do a secure erase are also described here.

Hope that helps!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

missingbite  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the help!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules