Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Does the iPhone have a 300 recharge cycle battery?

Does the iPhone have a 300 recharge cycle battery?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2007, 09:47 PM

Someone showed me a review today that shows the iPhone just can be charged 300 times. Is that true? I'm hoping to have iPhone 2.0 within a year but this just doesn't sound nice. I know the replacement is $85 and it's not user replaceable but that sure is a short battery life. I know with most battery technology they often last 2-3 years.

What is the best way to get maximum battery life? The guy that showed me the review just runs his battery down each time and often goes over 2 days between charges but I charge mine nightly and this is important to me since I want to be able to sync it daily. Most of all, is there any truth or this or estimates? I know maybe we'll only know in a year when we see how battery life is or how much it's shortened.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 09:58 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 10:24 PM

For the impatient: it will supposedly be reduced to 80% of its original capacity after 300-400 full recharge cycles (and of course it will continue to deteriorate over time). This really doesn't seem that bad at all, especially considering that the iPhone has pretty amazing battery life to begin with, and they are talking about full recharges, not every time you top off the battery.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2007, 11:20 PM

Apple says: Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Given my experience with lithium batteries, I think that's a bit optimistic. If your battery doesn't meet that longevity, will they replace it or accuse you of improper maintenance?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 11:25 PM

They'll replace it if it's within warranty or Applecare. Heck, I had them replace my 3G iPod's battery toward the end of its Applecare coverage just because I could. It was still totally usable, but all I had to say was that it wasn't getting as long a battery life as before.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Someone showed me a review today that shows the iPhone just can be charged 300 times. Is that true?
The battery and phone will cease to work after the 300th charge. After that, its $599 to replace.

The battery may loose some charge capacity after 300-400 charges. This is normal for any rechargeable battery - cellphone, laptop, CD player, anything. Its $85 to send in for a replacement if out of warranty. Not unreasonable since batteries for most other cellphones I've seen run in the $59-$69 range anyway.

I've been getting a full 2 days of moderate usage out of my iPhone, with charge to spare. So a full 300 charges will last nearly two years. Again, pretty typical for devices in the "smartphone" category.

Forum Links
Forum Rules