Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Open using Rosetta question

Open using Rosetta question
jeff k
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 03:36 AM

I have an Epson scanner, and the new driver says it will only work on Intel mac if you command i, and check, "open using rosetta"
Common sense would say that then I would be relinquising all the speed benefits of Intel doing that, but I'd like to ask here as a double check. thanks.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2009, 06:33 AM

I doubt using Rosetta will make much of a noticeable difference in performance. Why not just try it and see for yourself?

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2009, 06:33 AM

Of course you are, it's PowerPC software that needs an emulator (= Rosetta) to run. You can alternatively use the built-in drivers (my Epson scanner is supported by Apple natively, although Epson's finicky drivers sport more features) or you could use third-party software such as VueScan.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ChrisF
Senior User
Dec 19, 2009, 10:47 AM

Additionally, in an instance like this, you're most often limited by the speed of the scanner, so odds are that you'd notice no difference at all in speed.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2009, 02:45 PM

Is it asking you to check that box in Epson's drivers themselves, or in the application you're trying to print from?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 03:44 PM

thanks guys, just did some experimenting.
CS4 runs horrid on rosetta. you can't even quite the app.
So Iml sticking with either using the scanner in CS2 or is there a standalone app to open the scanner window/ or Oreo -- have can Apple get the scanner going)?
I have Epson 1660

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2009, 03:47 PM

Try it in the "Image Capture" application. You can find it in your Applications folder.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 03:51 PM

Guys, see a standalone Epson scan in app folder, never noticed it before. thanks!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 08:17 PM

Still one thing need one big favor.
When click on scan software,an annoying window comes up and ask which scanner. So I have to eyeball and mouse click my scanner over the other 6 listed.
I would like to just click F2 and have the scanner window pop up. Can I achieve this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules