Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac MAC OS X 10.5.8 - wireless

iMac MAC OS X 10.5.8 - wireless
salsabil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2010, 03:05 AM

In the system info an AirPort card is installed, I have set up the sharing and AIrPort is listed in the Network. Can I use the iMac as a router (currently the iMac connect to the modem/ethernet) ?

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Wireless Card Locale: Asia Pacific
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
Current Wireless Network: XXX
Wireless Channel: 1

P
Dec 19, 2010, 08:08 AM

Yes, you can. Under Sharing (System Preferences), enable Internet Sharing and check the box for Airport.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2010, 09:37 AM

If you want the iMac to be a wireless router, you need to choose "create network" from your airport menu.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Dec 19, 2010, 01:26 PM

Ah, I may have misunderstood the question slightly. If you want to network two machines directly over Airport, set up a network like Waragainstsleep says. After that you can share the Internet connection as I mentioned, and that you may already have done.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

salsabil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2010, 05:02 PM

My intention is to connect my xbox (located downstairs) to the internet, however my iMac (located upstairs) is currently the one connected to the modem/ethernet.
I have created a Network and name it, say XXX (as appears in the AirPort Card info from my previous post above)
I have set up the Sharing - Internet sharing.
My xbox, when scans, it detects the network XXX I created, however when I select 'connect', it says couldn't connect.
I have tried the Internet Sharing - AirPort Option set up, both with WEP password and without password, but it still fails to connect.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2010, 06:27 PM

Might be an addressing problem. While the iMac will share its connection and act as an access point, it won't actually do the job of a router in that it has no DHCP server built in. You have to manually address everything. I've never set up an Xbox but if you can set the IP etc manually, that should do the trick.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

salsabil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2010, 05:50 AM

uum... care to share how to set the IP manually ?..i have no clue..

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2010, 09:19 AM

I can tell you what settings to use, but not how to set it. I have no idea if the Xbox even allows that.

salsabil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2010, 04:14 AM

yes please, thanks, anything is better than nothing.... i've asked around and noone knew...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2010, 10:39 PM

It is going to be INFINITELY easier to just get a wireless router. You don't need an Airport Extreme; any router will work. It'll run you maybe $25 to get a cheap one, and getting everything online will be a snap.

Using just Internet sharing on your iMac to do everything is unnecessarily complicated.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules