Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dual Monitor, single wallpaper?

Dual Monitor, single wallpaper?
kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 02:10 AM

Does anyone know whether it is possible to have one wallpaper span across two monitors?

For example, have a 3200 x 1024 image that spans across both monitors...

Thanks

kashirat

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 02:21 AM

open the image in any photo editor. cut in half.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
open the image in any photo editor. cut in half.
I realize you could do this, but it would be so much more powerful/managable if OSX were able to draw the appropriate background depending on the arrangement of your monitors... That way you could keep changing your monitor arrangement and it would redraw correctly corresponding to how it is arranged in the display setup

Hard to make the displays _always_ line up...

Thanks for the reply though,

'kashirat!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 05:01 AM

I doubt it would be hard at all for apple to do but alas I would be hard pressed to say they need to spend a few man hours implementing such a feature when I'm sure dual monitor systems are even rarer then dual CPU.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2004, 10:27 PM

Actually, it's harder than one might think. If you could guarantee that the two monitors were the same resolution then that would be one thing, but you can't guarantee that, not in an age of multisync monitors. What do you do when the two monitors are different resolutions?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 11:01 PM

It's impossible. Considering the thousands of computer monitors out there, how would apple implement it.

Since a very small percentage use dual monitors, I think it's not important. The only thing I wish they gave was more control over where applications showed up. etc.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 02:06 PM

Well, since you _know_ the resolutions of the monitors and the arrangement of them, you can calculate outer bounds of both monitors together and show only portions of the wallpapers depending on their orientation within the (scaled, if needed) wallpaper image.

I mean, no matter what orientation of the monitors that you have, you can construct a bounding rectangle that your wallpaper is streched to....

I don't think it's impossible in the least. All the information is there, it seems as though it's merely implementation details.

Is there something I am missing?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 17, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by kashirat:
Is there something I am missing?
yes: a speedy Finder, because Apple are now sidetracked by trying to implement your pesky desktop idea.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 02:29 PM

Send feedback to Apple. Maybe when they're one feature short of "150 new features in Tiger", they will resort to your idea.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 02:54 PM

Sorry, what I actually meant was 'from the developer point of view', if there were any technical flaws in the brief algorithm...

But I suppose that would be more for the Developer forum. Ignore me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 03:10 PM

http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk/dualmonitorselection.htm

You can get wallpapers especially formatted for dual monitors there.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk/dualmonitorselection.htm

You can get wallpapers especially formatted for dual monitors there.
You have to pay for those, and they definitely don't have enough to make it worth the hassle of registering, let alone the money.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
You have to pay for those, and they definitely don't have enough to make it worth the hassle of registering, let alone the money.
Just letting the original poster know that they are out there. Maybe other sites also have them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 05:10 PM

My question was actually more related to the positioning of the given wallpaper given an arrangment (in software) and one large wallpaper that could potentially span both monitors... rather than 2 that span each monitor separately.

In terms of Plasma Design, I actually subscribed a few days ago and their wallpapers and me trying to align them so they looked 'right' on my monitors are what prompted me to ask this question

Thanks though

'kash

Keda
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 11:36 PM

Why is this so hard for a Mac to do? My friend' sPC can use one image that spans two monitors.

I always thought it was pretty cool and wished I could so it on mine. I don't think there is a ton of logic in his set up, but it works.

PS don't ask me any details about his system, I don't know. He does have two equally sized flat screens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules