Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes shared libraries

iTunes shared libraries
mala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2004, 08:30 AM

Hi,

me and my wife are sharing iTunes music libraries on the same Mac but with different user accounts. To make my wife see my music library my user account has to be logged in and iTunes started. Otherwise my library won't show up on her's iTunes playlists. Is this really the best way to do it? Isn't it possible someway to share music libraries without the need of logging in several users and starting iTunes up?

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 09:46 AM

This should do what you want.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
This should do what you want.
Yes that will work.

Another solution (would cost less money ;-) would be to move the music folder up to a subdirectory of /Users and change it so everyone in the group had read & write access to it. Actually with the way OS X does groups now (group ID = user ID) you'd have to change all users to also be a member of group "staff" (20) and chgrp the music folder to that :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules