Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW issues, anyone have the same?

WoW issues, anyone have the same?
kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 01:13 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to play WoW on my PB G4 15" 1.5 ghz with 2 gigs of memory.. I seem to be getting pretty bad (~10ish) frame rates even at 800 x whatever resolution (its not exactly 800.. but don't know it offhand..).

Anyhow, I was checking Activity Monitor and it appears that WoW only ever uses up to 300mb memory at any one time... however I'm pretty sure that WoW has used more memory before... Could it be a problem with the new patch they released a little while ago? Has anyone had this same issue?

thanks,

kash

CincyGamer
Mar 2, 2005, 02:15 PM

Try lowering the distance settings. These have a huge impact. Recently the servers have been very full and laggy. If you are in a populated area such as Origammar then this could be normal. While flying go into video options and try changing the settings. Turn off Video VSync.

I run a 1 GHZ powerbook with Radeon 9000 and only run into problems whtn in a very congested city. I usually get 20-27 fps with medium settings. You might want to go into safari and reset cache, do a reboot, make sure you have 10.3.8.. Are you on dialup? Are you running on battery mode with hard drive to sleep as much as possible? Try runnning fix permissions inside the disk utility tool. Maybe you have hard drive issues.. Put the OS disc in and reboot and hold 'c' down while rebooting then go into Disc utility
and do repair disc. This fixes cataloging errors.

Add another user woth Admin, switch to that account and try it.. But my guess was the server and not your pc, but good to do these maintance steps.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2005, 06:13 PM

What does Safari have to do with it?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

CincyGamer
Mar 3, 2005, 03:12 AM

a lot of junk files can be saved to your computer, it is amazing how much HD space this takes up if not periodically deleted. Assuming normal intenet usage, this might be a 1 GB temporary files. I dont know, but the less files you have on your computer the faster to get to them. Unix uses inodes instead of a FAT (file allocation table) so there might may make the drive work better. I dont know, it was just a suggestion.. I do think it is good to clean the cache once and awhile.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by CincyGamer:
Try lowering the distance settings. These have a huge impact. Recently the servers have been very full and laggy. If you are in a populated area such as Origammar then this could be normal. While flying go into video options and try changing the settings. Turn off Video VSync.

I run a 1 GHZ powerbook with Radeon 9000 and only run into problems whtn in a very congested city. I usually get 20-27 fps with medium settings. You might want to go into safari and reset cache, do a reboot, make sure you have 10.3.8.. Are you on dialup? Are you running on battery mode with hard drive to sleep as much as possible? Try runnning fix permissions inside the disk utility tool. Maybe you have hard drive issues.. Put the OS disc in and reboot and hold 'c' down while rebooting then go into Disc utility
and do repair disc. This fixes cataloging errors.

Add another user woth Admin, switch to that account and try it.. But my guess was the server and not your pc, but good to do these maintance steps.
- Distance is at its lowest
- I'm on cable
- I'm on full performance mode (no scaling back of the processor)
- I have ample disk space on my system drive for paging (should it happen.. but it shouldn't)

I'll try what you've suggested but what is really bothering me is that WoW memory usage never exceeds 300 MB regardless of the amount of memory free. Doesn't make too much sense to me and I'm beginning to wonder whether the issue started since the latest WoW patch..

Thanks for the advice though!

CincyGamer
Mar 3, 2005, 06:37 PM

Try reinstalling the game (delete first)..Its a long shot but it might work. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.. I am not having any issues with the last upgrade.

CincyGamer
Mar 3, 2005, 06:38 PM

Try calling blizzard.. that is part of why we pay a monthly fee to cover phone support.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 07:56 PM

Hehe yeah I tried deleting / reinstalling too. Although it did seem to improve my performance by a bit, but the ram is still fixed (unfortunately ) Thanks for your help Cincy

Forum Links
Forum Rules