Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pope (obituary)

Pope (obituary) (Page 2)
budster101  (op)
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 7, 2005, 01:00 PM

Can you all just take this "I'm happy to be very very very happy" nonsense and take it to the "I'm a happy <wink> happy person who is proud to be <wink> happy, plus I hate everything that has to do with any sort of religion" thread?

This thread has officially been DERAILEd

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Sexual intercourse between persons of the same gender was deemed a sin. The state of being attracted to persons of the same gender was not. It is an unfortunate linguistic coincidence that we give these two things the same name in English, but it is truly nothing more than that: a semantic issue. Nothing more.
Ok so I am in the clear as long as I am attracted to another man but don't actually act out on it. Ya stay hidden away out of site, just the way christians like it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ok so I am in the clear as long as I am attracted to another man but don't actually act out on it. Ya stay hidden away out of site, just the way christians like it.
It is no more than what Christianity asks of those who would engage in any other sinful behaviors. That's a category which, according to Christianity, encompasses everybody sooner or later, one way or another. To consistently be moral according to Christianity's standards is extremely difficult, if not outright impossible. This is the entire point of divine grace. It's also the entire point of not judging people, because in the end no human is really any better. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", and all that.

Christianity doesn't ask for more than whatever one is capable of giving. It does, however, demand exactly that much: a good-faith effort to do whatever one can. According to Christianity, what moral standards one can live up to, one should, and what moral standards one can't live up to, one should try one's best to anyway. In the end no one will succeed perfectly -even Jesus got himself into mischief as a child- but it is the honest effort that matters.

But enough of this. This thread is probably derailed beyond repair, and that's a real shame. I apologize for my hand in that, but make no mistake, SWG: you started this one.
( Last edited by Millennium; Apr 8, 2005 at 08:25 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 08:07 AM

Karol J�zef Wojtyła was just laid to rest in Rome.

God Bless him, and may He Rest in Peace.

Pope John Paul II, you were the only Pope I ever knew, and the Pope that I, along with millions of other Catholics, grew up with. Farewell!

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
even Jesus got himself into mischief as a child- but it is the honest effort that matters.
The so called 'mischief' which Jesus was involved in as a child was not sinful.
In vino veritas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
So in other words he helped fuel the fire for those Anti-abortionists who like killing doctors.

100% silly.

You are trying desperately to be a troll in here I guess.

Not to mention he opposes birth control so AIDS, poverty, starvation is an epidemic in Africa. Better not to have sex with a condom and have more babies with AIDS.
No, he was saying don't have sex with multiple partners. You know, that a lone would stop the spread of AIDS.

But hey, we can't expect people to actually show any self control now can we?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 12:56 PM

Sure Catholics think he is best thing since Jesus but others will not agree.

Fixed, you still don't understand that Catholocism does not = Christianity as a whole.

He also thinks Homosexuality is "Evil"

OMG NOT THAT !!!11

"Jewish groups and Germans are also decrying the pope's book. In it, he compares abortion to the Holocaust. "

Well they both killed a lot of innocent people.

So I say to heck with him. Lets get someone with a bit more "Love" in them.

You don't know what they word love means obviously.

You can love something, and not agree with it's actions you know.

I personally don't think he did much good at all and in the end probably gave more people reason and justification to judge and hate.
People don't need any justification. They will rationalize hate regardless.

Just like you do in here.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 12:57 PM

No, that is the sneaky way out of hating "Hate the sin love the sinner". You cannot separate the 2. His opinion is also followed blindly by millions.

Yes the pope did travel more than the others ones did, but he travelled to spread Christianity.
I am sorry SWF, you can love the sinner and hate the sin. It's possible. It happens daily.

You just like to paint anyone with morals that don't match with your brand of morality out to be hate mongers.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
So what? You can be gay and still live a pure and chaste life.
Indeed, being homosexual is not a sin.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You either love me for what GOD MADE ME or take a hike.
You keep on using this lame statement even after you have been shown time and time again that this isn't true.

God made two beings. After that, any human that was created was from man. And a long with that, came his sin that was passed down.

But go ahead, use it again and look the fool.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 01:22 PM

^ post whore

You guys need to give it a rest. Its pathetic.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 10, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
^ post whore
Naw, I just been gone for a few days, had some posts to catch up on.

I am not on here 24/7 anymore.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Naw, I just been gone for a few days, had some posts to catch up on.

I am not on here 24/7 anymore.
You've got quite a few valid points in those posts actually, especially:
People don't need any justification. They will rationalize hate [towards the pope] regardless.
Some people completely disregard authoritative leaders like the pope. They tell themselves, "If I were a head of state like the pope, I would be so much better at bringing peace and understanding to the world". However, they aren't willing to do anything about it. John Paul II was just a man (an extraordinarily talented, hard working man), he worked his way towards becoming the most respected spiritual leader of the west, and he did the best he could with his situation to bring peace to the world.

It's just very frustrating how people look at the most selfless political figure of our age, and think "He did everything wrong, I would've been much better".

Forum Links
Forum Rules