Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PC Card - Compact Flash Issues?

PC Card - Compact Flash Issues?
kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 10:21 PM

I have a PC Card Compact flash adapter and use it to download photos from my camera to my powerbook (AL 15" 1.5 ghz 2 GB ram, 9700 w/ 128mb). The card mounts fine, but whenever I try to start copying files over the system grinds to a halt. Things become pretty much unusable until the file transfer is done.

Is this normal? Does anyone know how i could fix this if it is not? I'm running Tiger, with the latest updates.

Thanks

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by kashirat
I have a PC Card Compact flash adapter and use it to download photos from my camera to my powerbook (AL 15" 1.5 ghz 2 GB ram, 9700 w/ 128mb). The card mounts fine, but whenever I try to start copying files over the system grinds to a halt. Things become pretty much unusable until the file transfer is done.

Is this normal? Does anyone know how i could fix this if it is not? I'm running Tiger, with the latest updates.

Thanks
eh?

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 01:35 AM

Have you tried other CF cards?

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 02:21 AM

It happens both on my 2GB 40x Lexar and a regualr 256 sandisk...

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 03:03 AM

try another cf converter pcmcia card?
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 03:43 AM

The exact same thing happens to me too. I have Scandisk PC Card. But it does download a hell of lot faster than through the camera's usb 1.1 port. I suppose it's using all the cpu power to d/l. Never used a usb2 card reader, i wonder if there's any speed difference between the two? Anyone know?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lunaticbunny
The exact same thing happens to me too. I have Scandisk PC Card. But it does download a hell of lot faster than through the camera's usb 1.1 port. I suppose it's using all the cpu power to d/l. Never used a usb2 card reader, i wonder if there's any speed difference between the two? Anyone know?
Hmm, mine is a Sandisk PC Card adapter too.. perhaps the problem is there.

The PC Card is supposed to be slightly faster than a usb2 card reader but if it locks up the machine then the USB2 card reader is probably a bit better

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 04:58 PM

Are you guys using iPhoto? I d/l'ed a full 1GB of RAW from my 10d's Microdrive through the PCMCIA adapter and the machine did get sluggish the whole time. Checking top and activity monitor showed that iPhoto was taking up 50-75%+ of the CPU time.... That would explain some of the sluggishness.

kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by itguy05
Are you guys using iPhoto? I d/l'ed a full 1GB of RAW from my 10d's Microdrive through the PCMCIA adapter and the machine did get sluggish the whole time. Checking top and activity monitor showed that iPhoto was taking up 50-75%+ of the CPU time.... That would explain some of the sluggishness.
Nope, not using iPhoto.. The card mounts in the finder and I just try to copy the files from the card to hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules