Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g5 startup woes.

g5 startup woes.
edge.it
Forum Regular
May 6, 2007, 09:33 PM

i am trying to salvage my old g5 dual 2ghz 3gb ram, and am having issues. i plug in power and hit the on button, but nothinghappens, i know the computer at least recongnizes the power cable cause i here a double click wheni plug/unplug the cable. any ideas? i reset the PMU and took out battery, but i know there are certain steps when it comes to that process. help me thanks.

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

cgc
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by edge.it View Post
...i know the computer at least recongnizes the power cable...
Huh? You know power is getting to the PSU at least, I'd suggest borrowing a friend's power supply (not likely to be available) or unplugging all additional drives and devices and running on a minimal hardware setup to minimize current draw. My thinking is either your power supply is degraded or not working. Do you have a multimeter? Does anything happen? Lights? Fans? Etc.?

edge.it  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Huh? You know power is getting to the PSU at least, I'd suggest borrowing a friend's power supply (not likely to be available) or unplugging all additional drives and devices and running on a minimal hardware setup to minimize current draw. My thinking is either your power supply is degraded or not working. Do you have a multimeter? Does anything happen? Lights? Fans? Etc.?

borrowing a power mac g5 power supply is not an option i dont have any one that has a g5 let alone one to take out and let me borrow. the machine was already stripped down. all the computer has in it is 4 assorted cards, 6 peices of ram, no hard drive(getting one today). and a monitor. it was stripped down.

what is a multimeter, i am using power spiltters, but i have in the past and it worked back then so i dont know if they matter.

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 11:15 AM

You've tried the PMU reset button on the motherboard I take it?
That's the button on the motherboard - make sure the CPU is off but plugged in when pressing it.

First of all, take all the ram out but the original sticks that were in it.
Remove all third party cards and just see if you can get it to boot with base configuration.

If you can get it to boot there, then slowly start adding things until you get to a point of failure.
If it never starts with base configuration it could be any number of things.

stev0n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 12:46 PM

Hi

If you can't get it going I might be interested in buying it off you.

Regards

steve

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
You've tried the PMU reset button on the motherboard I take it?
That's the button on the motherboard - make sure the CPU is off but plugged in when pressing it.

First of all, take all the ram out but the original sticks that were in it.
Remove all third party cards and just see if you can get it to boot with base configuration.

If you can get it to boot there, then slowly start adding things until you get to a point of failure.
If it never starts with base configuration it could be any number of things.
Yeap.. the magic PMU reset button.

Flash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 01:30 PM

CGC - I have start up problems w/ my G5. What should the power supply readings be (I have meter)? Fan starts up, no chime, no video. Thanks, flash

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flash View Post
CGC - I have start up problems w/ my G5. What should the power supply readings be (I have meter)? Fan starts up, no chime, no video. Thanks, flash
My G5 just started experiencing this today. I was in the middle of using it, when all the programs started to crash which makes me think it's a RAM issue. Anywho, I rebooted and I had the gray screen but nothing happened from there. I turned it off (by holding the power button down) and restarted it. At that point, I lost video as well. The RAM I have in it is all stock. Running the latest Tiger.

Before I go out and buy some RAM that I may have to take bac, I'd like to try any suggestions you all may have; they are greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've tried resetting the PMU to no avail. Also, when I leave it on, the fans eventually go to full blast - probably because there's nothing to control the speeds.
( Last edited by E's Lil Theorem; Jun 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules