Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > leopard worth getting now, bugs gone?

leopard worth getting now, bugs gone?
vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2008, 03:56 PM

I still haven't gotten leopard yet, I'm trying to decide. I've talked to other kids at my college, who have leopard, and for the most part, all they say is negative, like "I don't like how this happens now" or "I can't do that anymore" or some bug or something. Most of these kids got leopard right around release date. Do you think most of these bugs are taken care of? Like, if I get leopard, and install it, will I lose everything on my hard drive? Overall, is it worth the $100 +?
maybe people could say the things that really stood out to them, made them go wow, or like, I'm really glad I got this! type of thing... and please don't go on about time machine, that doesn't matter to me, I don't have an external HD.
Thanks!
oh and will it remove windows? I have it installed with parallels right now

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2008, 04:05 PM

Well, then first invest your $100 in an external HD so you can make backups. A backup is more important than running the latest system software.

The only thing Leopard lost over previous versions of the system are the telephony features of Address Book and AirTunes over FrontRow afaik. Third party software might need an upgrade to run properly, but since you are in college all you need to do is download the newest version of NeoOffice and you're ready to go.

HenryMelton
Mar 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

Speaking as an old guy who's applied every upgrade the instant it has come out since Mac 7, I don't understand waiting.

However, 10.5 hasn't caused me any problems. Adobe has annoyed me by being slow to upgrade their stuff, but no problems with the OS. The improvements, especially the ease with which I can access other of my machines on the network would make it painful to ever go back.

There has been a lot of posturing among the GUI obsessed, about this or that little visual aspect, but I've always seen holdouts who are reluctant to change, and insist that the world stay back with the old ways and keep them company. I endorse the advice of poster #2. Get a good backup anyway, and then upgrade.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 06:21 PM

I pre-ordered Leopard and installed it the second it arrived. I have zero regrets and would never go back to Tiger. The Network connectivity improvements alone are worth the $100 in my view (no more beachballing when a network volume is lost, automatic finder access to network machines, including Windows boxes). The key gui related features I use and am thankful for all the time are Spaces, Quicklook and Cover Flow in the Finder.

My favourite unsung feature is the little change to renaming files in the Finder. In Leopard, when you click on a file name to rename it, the file extension is not highlighted so you can just enter a new name and press enter without typing the redundant file extension - nice.

The only thing I didn't like was the elimination of hierarchal folders in the dock, but that is fixed now with 10.5.2 so it's a no lose situation as far as I'm concerned.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
The only thing I didn't like was the elimination of hierarchal folders in the dock, but that is fixed now with 10.5.2 so it's a no lose situation as far as I'm concerned.
I know several people who hate that you can;t have folder icons in the doc. They have seversl individual folder icons but when placed in the dock they revert to standard folder icons.

Dumb.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
I know several people who hate that you can;t have folder icons in the doc. They have seversl individual folder icons but when placed in the dock they revert to standard folder icons.

Dumb.
Fair enough, but not something that bothers me personally. That seems like an extremely minor gripe, though - not something that should stop someone from upgrading.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2008, 07:58 PM

No OS will ever be "perfect" to everyone; most of the "I can't stand this!" issues have been at least addressed by 10.5.2, so Leopard is pretty much acceptable to everyone. I have bought two copies (student pricing at my school!), one for my iMac at home and another for my MPB at school. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble if I didn't think it was good to go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2008, 09:19 PM

I've been running Leopard since the beginning of February without any significant issues. I, too, am an early adopter and I always upgraded my OS (Mac and Windows both) as soon as the new upgrade was available in retail.

The key is to back up everything just in case, but otherwise, you shouldn't have any issues with Leopard. The bulk of the issues I've seen on several forums generally pertain to upgrading a previous installation with incompatible third-party software or something similar. If you back up your files and do a fresh install, I think you'll be pleased.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2008, 04:41 PM

What kind of computer are you using? If you have a MacBook Pro, then there may be issues of freezing with 10.5.2. The best remedy seems to be to downgrade to 10.5.1. This thread has more info.

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro Freezes after successfull ...

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 04:52 PM

When 10.5.2 came out, I finally upgraded to Leopard. A lot of the issues I had with 10.5 were fixed and I'm happy with the upgrade.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Well, then first invest your $100 in an external HD so you can make backups. A backup is more important than running the latest system software.
QFT !

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules