Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have a new favorite quote

I have a new favorite quote (Page 2)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2009, 05:38 AM

So, after a bit of prodding, this thread did actually grow up to be something. Miracles do happen, especially at Christmas.

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Dec 28, 2009, 10:57 AM

Well, it was Mr. Laminar who doubted that I knew what I was doing by stating this thread was doomed.

I admit from time to time I do create a true dud of a thread (I honestly thought that a comparison of international perspective of silly WB cartoons targeted to the American populace would have sparked a lively debate. I was wrong, I admit it.), but most of the time I (seem) to know what I'm doing.

I say in the spirit of the season and good friendship; let's keep this thread going by pasting some of our other favorite, if not entirely politically correct, favorite quotes.
What, me worry?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2009, 11:33 AM

I'd like to think that my lack of emo knowledge contributed as well thankyouverymuch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 11:42 AM

I wish this thread was emo, so it would make like a tree and get the hell out of here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 28, 2009, 12:06 PM

It's as useless as a screen door on a battleship.

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Dec 28, 2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's as useless as a screen door on a battleship.
Now see, I respectively have to disagree with this because I can certainly envision a scenario where a screen door on a battle ship would be good thing.

Say for example that that your ship in deployed to a warm climate, and there is not any action going on, yet there are a lot of mosquitos around. I think being able to open a main door, but having a screen door behind to get some cross ventilation going on would be a good thing. I can only imagine that after several weeks at see, the inside of ship could use a good airing out.

Obviously you want to have a tradition metal armored door at the same doorway for when the action/seas pick up, but the rest of the time, I think the sailers should have some mosquito free fresh air.
( Last edited by iM@k; Dec 28, 2009 at 05:02 PM. )
What, me worry?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2009, 04:56 PM

Say for example that that your ship in deployed to a warm climate, and there is a any action going on
Huh?

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Dec 28, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Huh?
Corrected, should have read: "....and there is not any action going on..."
What, me worry?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 28, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
Now see, I respectively have to disagree with this because I can certainly envision a scenario where a screen door on a battle ship would be good thing.

Say for example that that your ship in deployed to a warm climate, and there is not any action going on, yet there are a lot of mosquitos around. I think being able to open a main door, but having a screen door behind to get some cross ventilation going on would be a good thing. I can only imagine that after several weeks at see, the inside of ship could use a good airing out.

Obviously you want to have a tradition metal armored door at the same doorway for when the action/seas pick up, but the rest of the time, I think the sailers should have some mosquito free fresh air.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 05:04 PM

*anxiously awaiting Laminar's return*

Edit: Damn it

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Dec 28, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yes yes, Back to the Future was a good movie.

However, I don't see what the screen capture is supposed to mean in relationship to the context of this discussion.

Actually I do realize it's supposed to be an attempt at intimidation however I find it aweak and pathetic attempt.

Not really, I just thought turn-about was fair play!
What, me worry?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2009, 05:18 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 05:20 PM

The longer this goes on, the prouder I get of manufacturing that quote.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2009, 04:56 PM

I'm going to pretend this thread is asking for my favorite quotes. So, here goes one of them:

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2009, 07:01 PM

Coutesy of a friend of a friend:

"When it is between 10 (F) and -10 (F) degrees outside, it makes sense to sing "numb" by Linkin Park. It is not emo."
I personally dont think it makes much sense to sing anything when it is 10 degrees outside. I makes more sense to just go inside where it is warm.

Here are some quotes that may be a little more appropriate.

"when is between 10 (F) and -10 (F) degrees outside, it makes sense to build a fire. It is not emo."

"when is between 10 (F) and -10 (F) degrees outside, it makes sense to put a coat on. It is not emo."

"when is between 10 (F) and -10 (F) degrees outside, it makes sense to go inside. It is not emo."

These are funny because they are true.. and believe it or not I made them up myself!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2009, 07:31 PM

But they make no sense, since neither a. building fires (unless you’re the firewood), b. putting on coats (unless they’re lined with spikes), nor c. going inside (unless the house is in a state resulting from a.) is emo.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2009, 07:37 PM

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" - Hesiod, 8th century B.C.

I love to pull this one on people who complain about youth today, as if they are any different than youth in the past.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" - Hesiod, 8th century B.C.

I love to pull this one on people who complain about youth today, as if they are any different than youth in the past.
I'm not sure about that.

Hesiod made this statement judging by the standards of *his* days, and it's therefore very subjective.

W/o wanting to go into the argument of how to *objectively* measure the degradation of youth behavior, it is absolutely possible that Hesiod's statement is true, while at the same time, the youth today is far worse than back in the day.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 04:55 AM

Yeah, I agree with turtle here. Bound to be much easier to get hold of drugs, alcopops, cars with loud stereos and loose women in the 21st Century.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 07:49 PM

I'm certain drugs, alcohol, and loose women were more readily available then than now.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2010, 10:34 PM

But they didn't have The Rap Music.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2010, 01:01 AM

Please read my signature.

Not that it applies to the OP, or anything. It's a real quote, though.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 07:24 PM

Coutesy of a friend of a friend:

"When it is between 10 (F) and -10 (F) degrees outside, it makes sense to sing "numb" by Linkin Park. It is not emo."
THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT!

Emo Weather Review | iPhone Weather App | Macworld

"Emo Weather is a fun and funky little weather app that provides all the basic weather information most people need. It does so with a unique emotional flourish—including apt quotes, kid cartoon characters displaying facial expressions that reflect the current weather conditions, and even clouds that show a variety of emotions."

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2010, 01:21 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 01:22 AM

Look, there's a new one

-t

Railroader
Banned
Jan 7, 2010, 01:24 AM

Only in Amara.... errr... never mind.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 03:25 AM

"All your base are belong to us"

-Anonymous.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 01:06 PM

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." -- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

"Truth does not triumph. It simply remains when everything else has been squandered." -- Ludvik Vaculik

"Mr. Churchill, if I were your wife, I'd poison your tea." -- Viscountess Nancy Astor
"Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it." -- Sir. Winston Churchill

"Humor is everywhere, in that there's irony in just about anything a human does." - Bill Nye
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2010, 09:42 PM

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard-be evil.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules