Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone from US used their ibook in UK???

Anyone from US used their ibook in UK???
naomiharvey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 01:22 PM

Hi

I have just purchased a lovely G4 ibook from US and had it imported it into UK. I bought a plug adaptor and when I plugged it all in there was a pop and I think the fuse blew int he travel adaptor I bought. I am too scared to try plugging it in again and don't understand as Apple Tech said the ibooks should have dual voltage so that shouldn't be an issue??

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 02:07 PM

All you need is a physical adaptor, not a transformer. The adapter shouldn't even have a fuse in it.

naomiharvey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 02:15 PM

Do yo mean the plug adaptor (that changes US to UK plug) shouldn't have a fuse? Doesn't that protect the laptop though?

Originally Posted by jamil5454
All you need is a physical adaptor, not a transformer. The adapter shouldn't even have a fuse in it.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2006, 02:43 PM

They dont need to have a fuse. You just need to have a good old US-UK converter and your set. I use my powerbook in the UK all the time and it runs on local voltage, so relax, your iBook is safe :-)

ps:: I normally use a multi with a fuse, when I have different things, like a monitor and external drive hooked up along with the powerbook. That way the fuse protects it, if there be an overload using all of them together

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2006, 05:30 PM

The power adapter is built to handle 50/60Hz at 100-240V. All you should need is the correct set of pins to fit a UK outlet. There is NO fuse in either this set of pins or the adapter. It's possible the "pop" you heard was an electrical spark in the outlet; I've had that happen with other adapters more than once. This assumes that the "travel adapter" you bought was correct for the iBook. It's best to go with Apple products over third-party stuff for power adapters.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules