Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Longshot - is it possible to use an eMac as a screen mirror for a MacBook?

Longshot - is it possible to use an eMac as a screen mirror for a MacBook?
monteboyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 08:02 PM

My next computer purchase will probably be a MacBook (or MacBook Pro) but I obviously want to be able to plug it into a better screen when I'm at my desk. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to use my current eMac as this screen?

I have heard that in the early iMacs the monitor was connected internally with a normal monitor lead - so you could open it up and connect a longer one. Does anyone know if this would be the case with an eMac?

Or any other way I might be able to do this?

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 01:27 AM

I wouldn't think the monitor would be better than the Macbook Pro. And my wife's 13" macbook's monitor is crisper and clearer than my 20"! Altho' I can get higher res. numbers.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2006, 01:48 AM

If you network the two machines and use Apple Remote Desktop or Chicken of the VNC, you just bring up the MacBook desktop on your eMac. The refresh rate might be slow for gaming, etc. but should be useable.

Just a thought...
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 02:59 AM

Are you trying to mirror it or extend your desktop?

EDITuh, I didn't read the title.

ARD sounds interesting. I am not sure the screen is all that much better. It is only a 17". You could get a 17" CRT for nothing these days. Heck, even 17" LCDs aren't that bad anymore.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by monteboyd
I have heard that in the early iMacs the monitor was connected internally with a normal monitor lead - so you could open it up and connect a longer one. Does anyone know if this would be the case with an eMac?

There is an internal sort of 'VGA' connecton on an eMac, but I suspect to use in the way you are asking would be fiddly at best and very messy i.e. you cannot just go and get the right cable and plug it all up. I also suspect the eMac's power management may get in the way of trying to just use the display.

Have look at this page http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/ if you are electronically minded.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 03:07 PM

VNC isn't really a usable option (ARD or otherwise) as the refresh is too slow. Even going from G5 to G4 with gigabit ethernet on both, there's noticeable lag. It would make much more sense to get a 17" CRT for super cheap (my college literally gives them away for free) or shell out the $150 to get a 17" LCD, either way you'll be hard pressed to beat the quality of the MBP's built in display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules