Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone used 18004MEMORY.com?

Anyone used 18004MEMORY.com?
zucchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 01:10 PM

Hey all,

I'm going to buy 512MB for my new iBook 600, and I was wondering if anyone has used 18004MEMORY before. They've got the 512 module for 80 bucks, which is pretty low. The other place I was considering was OWC, for 108. Anyone have experience with these places?

Thanks!
Jason

HoOn
Oct 2, 2002, 01:48 PM

I've always bought my memory from 18004memory.com. The memory they sell are covered by a lifetime warranty so thats something you should look for. I have NOT ordered from their website BUT I always buy memory from them at the computer shows that I go to here in New Jersey.

They're reliable and yes when I get my iBook I am getting it from them.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2002, 06:15 PM

I have used them for iBook memory without a hitch. But I sure paid a lot more for 512MB than $80!!! And that was only six months ago...

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 06:41 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm gonna get the PC133 version, cause it's the same price as PC100. Does that matter?

And if anyone else has feedback on these guys, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

psurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 12:25 AM

I just got 512 pc133 stick from 18004memory, intending to use in my older clamshell iBook (300mhz, 32mb on-board). -It did not work, giving me rapid beeps at startup and a black screen.

TransInt'l and others sell 512 that they state specifically work in clamshells (18004mem did not) and in the newer icebooks. It's the same stick for both, and it's pc100. $115.

I've been asking about this all today without a definitive answer:
Is my problem that pc133 is not backwards-compatible to pc66, as the pc100 is?
-Or, is it because 1-800-4-mem's RAM is not programmed to work w/clamshells? (meaning I've got to return theirs and cough up an extra $35+ for TransInt'ls to get 512...)

If someone really knows the answer, as opposed to another opinion, I'm all ears.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 01:47 PM

Now this is a coincidence... Just a couple of hours after my post yesterday I woke up my iBook from sleep to be greeted by a message telling me that the built-in memory test had detected a problem.

A quick check showed that the 512MB module didn't even show up as being installed, and Tech Tool Pro indicated the same thing. I tried reseating the module but No Dice!

This is a module that has been installed for around six months. I was having some problems with the iBook yesterday that may have been associated with the bad RAM, but I had run Norton Utilities without doing a hardware diagnostic. Since NU found some minor problems the RAM may not have been the culprit.

I contacted Coast To Coast tech support this morning and got an RMA number. Turn around time is 72 hours after they receive the module and it is shipped back via 2 day FedEx. So I expect to have a new module in my hot little hands by next Friday.

I'll try to remember to post how this turns out.

P.S. Check this website for vendor ratings http://resellerratings.com/
( Last edited by Mojo; Oct 3, 2002 at 02:16 PM. )

palmberg
Senior User
Oct 3, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
Now this is a coincidence... Just a couple of hours after my post yesterday I woke up my iBook from sleep to be greeted by a message telling me that the built-in memory test had detected a problem.
Oh great. I just ordered and installed the 512MB module in my Key Lime a couple weeks ago. Everything's been running just fine, but I hope this doesn't mean that I can look forward to having it fail on me in a couple months. Crap.

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 08:02 PM

Hmmm, perhaps I need to reconsider the store? Anybody else have recommendations? I've seen the posts about Crucial and MemoryX..

Thanks.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 11:02 PM

I've used them without problems, I have a 256 chip in my 466 graphite for a really long time now. If there is a lifetime warranty I'd go for it, there are going to be odd ball here and there.

palmberg, what did you have before, I currently have 320 in my book and would like to know if you have seen improvements with the extra ram. Of course you would have had to have had 320 to be able to compare, and are you running osx on it?

As far as the other vendors go I have had luck with them too.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2002, 01:54 AM

I wouldn't buy elsewhere just because I got a stick that eventually failed; no vendor out there is going to have 100% perfect RAM.

This is an opportunity to see how well CTC's customer service works. Do they replace the defective RAM without any hassle? Is it delivered to me when they said it will be and is it the correct RAM?

If they come through, this experience will be a minor hassle at a relatively small cost. If there are problems, then obviously I will switch to another RAM supplier.

Either way I'll let you folks know how it turns out...

If you want to feel a little bit better, take comfort in the fact that you paid only $80 for a 512MB stick whereas I paid $180 only six short months ago!

Taco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 08:07 PM

they have 512 memory pc133 for the ibook at 79 dollars, Anyone else had experience from these guys, I too am ready to upgrade my ibook to 640, I want to make the right decision, I am still covered by apple, should I have an authorized dealer install as to not void the waranty?
Thanks
Rock Taco

HoOn
Oct 5, 2002, 10:31 PM

installing your own memory does not void your warranty. I just bought the memory from these guys early today at the computer show here in Teaneck, NJ.

parisblue
Oct 6, 2002, 07:11 AM

I think they are a bit more expensive, but I've bought RAMJET (www.ramjet.com) and they have always been great. Haven't compared prices recently and that is why I say 'I think they are more expensive', because they certainly were in the past, but I bought from them because I've never heard a bad thing about them and they are always great with support questions.

psurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2002, 07:46 PM

Update: I put the pc133 512 from coast to coast back in the iBook, made sure it went in perfectly this time, and it works.
So if I can add anything to this discussion, it's that Coast to C's pc133 chip works in the clamshells, and that rapid beeps on startup can indeed signal an incorrectly installed stick of RAM. Thanks for all your help.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 09:21 PM

I've ordered RAM twice from them before and it worked perfectly and I just ordered the 512MB for my iBook for $78 the other day and it came today. Works great.

Kestral
Senior User
Oct 8, 2002, 11:54 AM

Yup, the last three Macs I owned, I bought my RAM with 18004memory.com. When I get my next Mac, I will once again be buying RAM from them. People can talk all they want, but in the end, they vote with their money. My vote says you'll have a great experience buying from them.

HoOn
Oct 8, 2002, 11:58 AM

If you guys are weary about the quality of their RAM just get the brand name RAM from them like Micron or Infineon chips. Crucial, Kingston, Viking and the like are just 3rd party re-sellers who package Micron chips with their name on it. I used Micron for my Desktop Overclocking projects and non of them gave in. Since I do not plan on OCing my iBook it shouldnt matter if theyre generic or brand name. But for piece of mind buy the Micron 512 MB SODIMMs at 18004Memory. I just called them for my friend and they said it is $99. Not bad! =)

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2002, 01:29 PM

Alright, I just took the plunge and ordered the 512MB chip from 18004MEMORY. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Jason

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2002, 01:57 PM

So far, so good... I received an e-mail this morning letting me know that a replacement RAM module was shipped yesterday via FedEx 2 day economy service, which means that I should get it Wednesday.

psurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2002, 04:15 PM

Nope, the pc133 512chip I mentioned above for my 300mhz clamshell ibook had to be sent back. It ran for about 15mins fine, then when everything froze up - twice - required PRAM zapping, I decided to throw in the towel. Back w/256mb for now.

Astronaut Jones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2002, 05:08 PM

I just bought 512MB from them last week. Ordered it on a Monday and it was here on Thursday. I haven't had any problems in my icebook so far. It definitely makes Jaguar run smoother!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2002, 05:14 PM

Okaaay, here's the promised update on my RAM Return Dance with Coast To Coast...

The RAM did not arrive yesterday as anticipated,so I e-mailed them yesterday afternoon after they closed; I'm on the west coast and they are on the east coast.

When I hadn't heard from them by around 11am PDT today (Thursday) I called the customer service department. They told me that the e-mail I received was generated automatically when the return had been processed into their system. The RAM arrived Friday and was entered into their system on Monday 10/7. The tracking number they provided was actually for my original shipment back in March.

When I looked at the e-mail more carefully I realized that while it had a FedEx shipping date of 10/7/02, there was no tracking number. The tracking number I had tried to use was for the original shipment.

Here is how it looks in the message:

Date Shipped Via
03/01/02 FEDEX ECONOMY 2 DAY SERVICE
Tracking Number: 610037923824
Ship-to: My Name
10/07/02 FEDEX ECONOMY 2 DAY SERVICE
Tracking Number:
Ship-to: My Name

Weird, isn't it?

Anyhoo, the fellow at customer service told me that the RAM was currently in the FedEx bin waiting to be picked-up, meaning I would receive it on Monday.

Fast-forward two hours, when my doorbell rings and What Do You Know, it's the replacement RAM. Man, that is some FAST service on the part of FedEx!

So I installed the RAM module and upon starting-up I get three beeps, then a flashing "sleep" light. I tried reseating the RAM module and this time the iBook restarted normally, except the first two restarts were accompanied by the CD drawer opening all by itself. At least one subsequent restart went without a hitch.

A basic RAM check using TechToolPro turned up no problems.

So that is where I am at this point. We'll just have to see if the RAM holds-up or not...

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 01:02 AM

Okay, so here's the update. I received the module on schedule, today, and I popped it in my iBook. Problem is, it doesn't detect anything! Is there anything special I need to do to get it to recognize that there's a new piece of ram in there?

Argh. I was hoping it would just work on the first try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
<><

iBook 600 12.1" CD 640MB 10.2.6 Airport
TiBook 667 15.2" Combo 512MB 10.2.6 Airport

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Mojo:
P.S. Check this website for vendor ratings http://resellerratings.com/
Don't use that as your sole source. I've seen numerous stores with excellent ratings be brought down to nothing just because someone was bored.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2002, 02:00 AM

Jason, I also had a problem getting the RAM module to seat properly when I received my first module. Apparently the module can look like it is seated when it isn't.

Tech support suggested pushing-in the module and then pushing it in again when the module is at around 20 degrees or less (my geometry isn't that great...) Then click the module into place. It took me four tries and finally it registered. When I installed the replacement module it only took me two tries!

I know how you feel...I thought something was wrong with the module when it was actually okay. I think that the fact that the modlue eventually failed had nothing to do with my initial problems getting it to seat properly.

If you happen to call tech support about your problem I believe that they will ask you try to seat the module several times using the above method before they authorize a return; the TS fellow told me they receive a number of "defective" modules that turn out to be fine.

HTH!

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the tip. I tried it a couple times, to no avail (it's about the 6th or 7th time i've reseated the module. I guess I'll bring it to the Apple Store tomorrow, if they can't do it, I'll send it back. Did you have to pay shipping for an RMA?

Thanks,
Jason
( Last edited by zucchini; Oct 15, 2002 at 01:37 PM. )

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2002, 01:58 PM

I did pay shipping...They may have mentioned a $3 credit for the return shipping cost, but I returned it via FedEx so it hardly covers my cost. I just wanted the replacement module sooner than later.

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2002, 01:36 PM

Sending the module back today. Tried it in another iBook and it failed. Tried a working module in my iBook and it worked, so I know it's a bad chip.

One thing to add, the customer service guy was really friendly, and mentioned that each of their chips gets tested twice before being shipped. So maybe I got a fluke. Hope the replacement module works just fine!

macwalk
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 09:34 AM

I hope it actually works in my new 700MHZ, i think they could be more specific in their descriptions regarding which system it works in.

I purchased the following: 512MB PC133 SO DIMM for NEW IBOOK 600MHZ/700MHZ

Anyone know if this will work in the latest version of the ibook?
Hmmmm..... maybe not!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 08:44 PM

I used to swear by 18004memory.com... Not anymore! I bout a 512 chip from them for my Ice Book. Even certified Apple techs said the chip they sent me (as well as the second replacement chip) were not the right size. They were way too big. Worse yet, 18004memory's official documentation said to take a pencil to force the chip into place!!! Then to add insult to injury, they didn't want to refund my money for either chip!

Needless to say, I wouldn't by memory from them even if they were the last third-pary memory dealer on the planet.

HoOn
Oct 16, 2002, 09:00 PM

NextLoop, Sorry to hear that.

Anyway, I've never had any problems with 18004memory.com before but I'm having problems with the 512 MB memory they sent me. Today I had the time to install the memory and when my iBook booted up it shows that I only have 384 MB of RAM. What the !?!?

Anyway, I read somewhere either here or another forum where their iBook read the memory module differently. Anyone know about this? I was dissapointed and embarassed that the memory failed me. I reseated the memory several times to no avail.

What do you guys think?
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

GeorgeC97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2002, 11:24 PM

i ordered the 512 chip -- but dammit, i don't have a tiny screwdriver to open up my ibook !
now i am getting nervous about everone' s problem with their chip.

i'll let you all know tomorrow

thanks for the look out

HoOn
Oct 17, 2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by GeorgeC97:
i ordered the 512 chip -- but dammit, i don't have a tiny screwdriver to open up my ibook !
now i am getting nervous about everone' s problem with their chip.

i'll let you all know tomorrow

thanks for the look out
Yeah! Let us know as soon as you put the memory in.

Good Luck!
( Last edited by HoOn; Oct 17, 2002 at 03:00 PM. )
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2002, 02:45 PM

I see a disturbing pattern regarding 512MB modules purchased from 18004memory.com. If I was considering a RAM purchase I would now look elsewhere...

GeorgeC97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2002, 05:13 PM

I got the screwdriver...

So i put the damn thing in (512MB) and now it also says I only have 384 MB !

what do i do?

i need help

i have never ordered ram before online -- also this is the first time i've ever installed ram myself -

WHAT TO DO !

help appreciated

-GeorgeC

zucchini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2002, 08:41 PM

Wellp, looks like you got a 256MB module instead of a 512. I called them up and got an RMA and returned it, still waiting for the replacement. They were pretty courteous about the return, however. You've gotta pay insured shipping, which comes out to $6.05 with USPS Priority mail and Insurance up to $100.

Yes, this does seem to be quite a trend, and for now, I'm not sure if I'd buy from them again. Then again, it was $78 instead of $179 from Crucial. I'll let you know the results of my new module.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 11:15 PM

I've been looking too. Was very pleased with Coast2Coast (aka 18004Memory) after purchasing 512M for my Ti last Spring.

Prices seem to be dropping, and OWC price getting closer (as of this post $99):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...Book&Template=

FWIW

Forum Links
Forum Rules