Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Space Bar issue on a new G4 iBook?

Space Bar issue on a new G4 iBook?
HoOn
Dec 15, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hi! I just bought my 12" G4 iBook this past Monday and so far I'm loving it. One issue that irked me a lot last night while typing was that the iBook's spacebar was a little unresponsive. I usually use either the left or right thumb to press the sapce bar and I realized that when I press the space bar with my RIGHT thumb the iBook sometimes does not repond to it. I tried hitting the left side of the space bar with my LEFT thumb and it worked without a problem.

It seems that I need to press the space bar a little firmer on the right side to make the iBook read the keystroke. Does anyone have this same issue? Is this just because it's a brand new iBook that's why the keys are a little stiff?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

Ayers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 03:00 PM

The only keyboard issue I know of with the spacebar is that it's unevenly placed in all iBook G4s that have left the factory. The spacebar on the right side is farther up than on the left, so it may be causing the behavior you're describing?

HoOn  (op)
Dec 15, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Ayers:
The only keyboard issue I know of with the spacebar is that it's unevenly placed in all iBook G4s that have left the factory. The spacebar on the right side is farther up than on the left, so it may be causing the behavior you're describing?
I think that's the issue because I was looking at it and it seems that the left side of the space bar feels firmer.

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Ayers:
My spacebar is fine, but I have this issue on my trackpad mouse button. The button seems tilted a bit, the right side is much higher than the left. Does anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it?

Beewee
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by HoOn:
Hi! I just bought my 12" G4 iBook this past Monday and so far I'm loving it. One issue that irked me a lot last night while typing was that the iBook's spacebar was a little unresponsive. I usually use either the left or right thumb to press the sapce bar and I realized that when I press the space bar with my RIGHT thumb the iBook sometimes does not repond to it. I tried hitting the left side of the space bar with my LEFT thumb and it worked without a problem.

It seems that I need to press the space bar a little firmer on the right side to make the iBook read the keystroke. Does anyone have this same issue? Is this just because it's a brand new iBook that's why the keys are a little stiff?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

- John
Yes my ibook has the same issue. I believe the problem is caused by the "ribbon" under the keyboard that connects it to the computer.
It won't lay completely flat and causes a small area on the bottom right side of my key board to bulge upward ever so slightly. On mine it affects the right command key and enter key, it's really annoying but I don't know how to fix it.

Ayers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 04:29 PM

I don't think you can fix either of those issues, but they're considered by most to be cosmetic.

HoOn  (op)
Dec 16, 2004, 05:40 PM

I think it's more of a function defect then a cosmetic one. Some iBook batteries stick out which I can say is a cosmetic issue because the laptop works without a problem. Since the spacebar is not working a 100% I think it's safe to say it's not cosmetic but rather a function defect like dead pixels.

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2004, 06:17 PM

I do not have a problem with the space bar (at least like that one).

regards

diehlr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 01:34 PM

I have the same problem. If I press the spacebar on the right-hand side (which is usually how I press it since I use my right thumb) then many times a space is not registered. However, if I press the spacebar toward the center or left it almost always registers a keypress. Kind of annoying and surprising defect given keyboard designs have been revised for decades!

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 12:57 AM

John,

I had the exact same issue with a brand new 1.2 GHz iBook. Right side of the space bar would not respond.

This is not a cosmetic defect. It is a hardware defect.

I called Apple Support and they immediately said they would ship me a new replacement keyboard free of charge.

The new keyboard does not have this problem. The space bar is however slightly raised on the right side, but it does work normally.

I suggest you or anyone else with a malfunctioning keyboard call Apple and ask for a replacement.

HoOn  (op)
Dec 22, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by kitkat:
John,

I had the exact same issue with a brand new 1.2 GHz iBook. Right side of the space bar would not respond.

This is not a cosmetic defect. It is a hardware defect.

I called Apple Support and they immediately said they would ship me a new replacement keyboard free of charge.

The new keyboard does not have this problem. The space bar is however slightly raised on the right side, but it does work normally.

I suggest you or anyone else with a malfunctioning keyboard call Apple and ask for a replacement.
Thanks for the news! I will definitely call them up.. Did you call Apple support directly or did you go to the Applestore? Did they give you any problems or was it a known defect?

Thanks!

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 01:27 AM

I have the same problem with my spacebar.

What was the number you called? And did go to a store to get replaced? Or had did you replace it?

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 04:45 AM

I called Apple Support as my machine is still under warranty.
No hassles whatsoever.

I don't know whether Apple considers it a "known" hardware issue, but that shouldn't matter.

You need a functioning keyboard, and a spacebar that doesn't type spaces when pressed on one side is clearly malfunctioning.

Just be polite and businesslike.

Good luck.

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by history1me:
I have the same problem with my spacebar.

What was the number you called? And did go to a store to get replaced? Or had did you replace it?

The keyboard is a "Consumer repairable" part and comes with "do it yourself" installation instruction.

If your unit is under warranty you could also take it into an Apple Store or to an Apple Authorised service provider for help. Or, you can call Apple Support when you receive it and they will guide you through the installation.

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

cool, I can repair with the instructions.

HoOn  (op)
Dec 22, 2004, 03:51 PM

I called Apple Care early this morning and they're over nighting a new Keyboard! Woohooo!!

Thanks again kitkat for the information. Without it I would be stuck with this malfunction without even knowing it.

Happy Holidays everyone!

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 04:12 PM

Great news John!

Enjoy your new keyboard.

Cheers

K

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 04:35 PM

I had the same issue with my new 1.25ghz 12"... and apple shipped a new keyboard

Interesting to note here: The part no. of the new keyboard is different.. in fact, a new part number. The replacement keyboard is MUCH better than the one on any ibook to date... the keys are stiff and feel VERY solid. In fact, if you run your fingers lightly over the keyboard, it is silent... none of the light "clicking" from loose keys.

YAY

HoOn  (op)
Dec 22, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:
I had the same issue with my new 1.25ghz 12"... and apple shipped a new keyboard

Interesting to note here: The part no. of the new keyboard is different.. in fact, a new part number. The replacement keyboard is MUCH better than the one on any ibook to date... the keys are stiff and feel VERY solid. In fact, if you run your fingers lightly over the keyboard, it is silent... none of the light "clicking" from loose keys.

YAY
Double YAY!

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

kitkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by jmatero:

YAY
That was my experience too. But the these keyboards are not actually new; I've actually seen them on iBooks built before mine (which had a "loose and slippery" keyboard before the new, firmer one. It may just be a different batch or a slightly improved manufacturing process.

However, and this is worth noting, the Apple rep did mention Apple is currently developing a new and improved keyboard for the iBook G4 that will become available in a few months.

Something to look forward to!

culturevulture7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 09:19 PM

Thank you so much, all you posters. I thought this was a problem with my ibook only!!! I called Apple and a replacement keyboard is on the way.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by culturevulture7:
Thank you so much, all you posters. I thought this was a problem with my ibook only!!! I called Apple and a replacement keyboard is on the way.
me too, didn't realize it wasn't just me. called apple support this morning and new keyboard on the way

HoOn  (op)
Dec 23, 2004, 02:55 PM

I'm happy I started this thread! I did some searches but didn't find any and now I am really happy everyone is getting theirs replaced.

- John
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 03:21 PM

So you guys just called them and said your keyboard was malfunctioning and they sent you a new one totally free of charge/hassles? If that is the case, I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my iBook (latest model). My right shift key sticks sometimes and at other times I find my words run together, as if the space bar isn't as sensitive as it should be. I've been using a USB keyboard but do you guys think I should call for a replacement also? If anything happened to my new keyboard I could always substitute it with my slightly used one

IamBob
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 12:03 AM

Thanks for starting the thread, now I know it's not just me and that there's a simple fix.

Replacement++

leon03k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 03:15 AM

i also have the same issue with my spacebar and i would like to know what information does applcare ask from you? The reason i ask this because i dont have my ibooks box/package that it came in.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 02:36 PM

Mine is fine. I push on the spacebar with my right and have no problems. As far as telling them that there is a problem with the keyboard and then sending you a new one... That is all fine and dandy but... you have to send the defective one back wich they test and if found working properly you will have to pay for the new one.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

culturevulture7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 03:44 PM

Just got my new keyboard and it's working fine!!

As to what I did, I called Apple Support, gave them the serial number, date of purchase, etc. The tech had me do one software fix, then when it didn't work, he said it was a billable thing but he would send out a new keyboard. I said I was still under warranty. LOOOOOONG hold, then he came back, checked my mailing addy and sent the new keyboard. No testing by Apple--in fact, the letter says do not send the keyboard back.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 05:16 PM

awsome! good to hear. now if something goes wrong with mine I know what to do.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2004, 07:14 PM

I had the same spacebar & right command key issue. Called Apple and got a new keyboard overnighted.

It's definitely not just a replacement of the same part. The ribbon cable does not interfere with the keys and the new keyboard in general seems much quieter (greatly reduced "clacky" sounds).

I just need a day for my fingers to heal from dealing with securing that annoying wire bar that supposedly holds the top of the Airport Extreme card in place

Forum Links
Forum Rules