Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Touchpad Question

Touchpad Question
darthjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 03:41 AM

Does the touchpad on the iBook register a finger tap as a button press? I got so used to this on my laptop but I have been told that it is not implemented in iBooks. Anyone care to fill me in?

Thanks

DJ

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 20, 2004, 06:27 AM

If you go to System Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Trackpad there's an option for using the trackpad for Clicking. Not sure about what version of the OS that came about, it's definitely in Panther though.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

jmonty12
Aug 20, 2004, 08:13 PM

I've been really happy with a 3rd-party driver for the touchpad called SideTrack. It lets you configure all sorts of stuff for the touchpad, even including vertical and horizonal scrolling. Here's a link:

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software...ack/index.html

It's been in beta like forever, so right now it's free, but maybe someday they'll make version 1.0 and start charging for it.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 02:28 AM

sidetrack is nice, but it's a little annoying sometimes. :shrug:

system prefs->keyboard and mouse->trackpad->clicking/dragging/click and drag
iamwhor3hay

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 12:41 AM

You should check out sidetrack. I just got it a few days ago, and it lets me scroll, right click, expose, and regular trackpad functions all in one. It's pretty sweet.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 02:52 AM

sidetrack is the shiznit
it makes up for not having a mouse when u dont have one
scrolls horizontally and vertically like my MSmouse, and and as many different clicks configured as a mouse too
w3rd..
surrey represent

Robbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
If you go to System Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Trackpad there's an option for using the trackpad for Clicking. Not sure about what version of the OS that came about, it's definitely in Panther though.
I can attest to it being at least as far back as Mac OS 8.6, which on the toilet-seat iBook lets you click/tap, drag and tap/drag (with tap to release).
Much the same as OS X.

Those who are talking about Sidetrack are right too - it's amazing. I bought a mouse for my iBook that now never gets used.......
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

fuzzydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 07:38 AM

I just got a new 12" powerbook and am trying out Sidetrack but I'm having problems with the dragging and drag lock. How exactly is it implemented? It doesn't seem to have any explanations and I can't get it to work consistently. Thanks

Jeff

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by fuzzydude:
I just got a new 12" powerbook and am trying out Sidetrack but I'm having problems with the dragging and drag lock. How exactly is it implemented? It doesn't seem to have any explanations and I can't get it to work consistently. Thanks

Jeff
system prefs->keyboard and mouse->trackpad->enable clicking, dragging and drag lock
iamwhor3hay

fuzzydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 06:25 AM

I know that part. What I meant is that on the Powerbook I can't get the dragging to work consistently. Most of the time it just doesn't work. I'll do the tap-tap-drag and get nothing. I've tried practicing in a drawaing application, but it just doesn't work correctly.

Also, sometimes I get random click-taps when I didn't tap. For instance, I'll move the cursor up to a menu and the menu will automatically pop down even though I didn't click or tap yet.

I just installed more memory last night, so I'll see if that helps, but so far I would really like it to work, but it just doesn't (for me).

fuzzydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 11:08 AM

Well, after playing around some more, I finally got it to work.
( Last edited by fuzzydude; Aug 24, 2004 at 11:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules