Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon sees Kindle Fire HD sales peak after iPad mini reveal

Amazon sees Kindle Fire HD sales peak after iPad mini reveal
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 28, 2012, 05:22 AM

Amazon has revealed that it saw increased sales for the Kindle Fire HD after Apple presented the iPad mini on Tuesday. Sales of the $200 device rose dramatically on the Wednesday after the Apple event, to a level that caused a spokesperson for the retailer to confirm it as the "biggest day of sales since launch."

In a statement to AllThingsD, Amazon said the sales figures were three times that of the same day last week, though declined to reveal how many were sold. The timing of the sales surge could suggest that consumers were waiting for what Apple would reveal in the iPad mini, and after not seeing what they were expecting to be revealed, opted for Amazon's offering instead. It is possible that the Kindle Fire HD may receive another sales spike in the coming days, following the cancellation of Google's Nexus event. Halted because of Hurricane Sandy, the event was expected to be when the search giant would unveil a reworked Nexus 7 tablet, a 10-inch version from Samsung and a new Nexus phone.

vinnieA2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 05:36 AM

Since Amazon doesn't release their sales numbers, they truly can say whatever they want. This article is useless to readers, but quite effective *free* advertising for Amazon. Don't be suckers MacNN....

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2012, 06:35 AM

Return rate will be 5x higher. I guarantee it.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 28, 2012, 07:27 AM

Say what you will, but price is a strong selling point.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2012, 07:30 AM

People around my work-places were waiting to see what Apple's price-point would be before purchasing devices for the Christmas season. Basically, from what I can see, Apple missed their pricing "sweet-spot" by only $30. I realize $30 isn't actually isn't a lot of money, but a lot of people, at least those in my area, were hoping for $299 and have decided to go Kindle instead.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 28, 2012, 07:43 AM

I agree, panjandrum! People would've paid the premium for the iPad mini at $299 but $329 just seems to be a bit too much (if only psychologically) when there are so many other alternatives out in this classification. Sure the mini has its advantages but it has its disadvantages too when you measure it up to Kindles, Nexus and others..enough so for many to not see the value in paying substantially more. >> http://mostly-tech.com/2012/10/23/ten-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-ipad-mini/

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2012, 08:05 AM

For 330 GPS should have been included.

krismatth7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 08:22 AM

I'm surprised that people expected Apple to compete on price with Googles Nexus and Amazons Kindle Fire line. Both of those manufacturers are selling their tablets *at a loss*, hoping to make up for it in media sales / advertising. Apples business model has always been to make money on the hardware itself.

keithhat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 09:33 AM

My Kindle Paper White "without offers" (which cost extra) has advertisements (offers) for books on the home screen. I prefer an eReader for books. At least with the iPad I have control and am willing to pay extra. I 'm sticking with iPad as my tablet because I am not sure if I will be held hostage for getting a "deal" from the other two vendors.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2012, 12:41 PM

Look like these 7" tablets aren't so much of a "failure" as you want people to believe, eh Schiller? Keep spinning that RDF...

rexray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 12:50 PM

This is just terrible journalism, due to its purely speculative nature. Since we don't know the sales trends for the Kindle Fire, it may be normal for there to be wild swings in the daily sales numbers. Also, the reason may have had more to do with it being payday than anything to do with the iPad mini. I'm not saying that a relative handful of people didn't a wait and see on the iPad mini and then instead opted to buy the Kindle Fire, but a three times increase might have been 300 sold instead of 100. I'm going to make an educated guess that that number of iPad minis sold far outstripped Kindle Fire sales for the day and week.

The timing of the sales surge could suggest that consumers were waiting for what Apple would reveal in the iPad mini, and after not seeing what they were expecting to be revealed, opted for Amazon's offering instead.
Earth is Heaven in Drag.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
Look like these 7" tablets aren't so much of a "failure" as you want people to believe, eh Schiller? Keep spinning that RDF...
You obviously have access to sales numbers that nobody else does, eh?

sportmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 03:59 PM

Wrenchy - reading comprehension. It's your friend.

Swift
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2012, 04:49 PM

You know that Amazon lost hundreds of millions last quarter? Both the Google and Amazon tablets (so far) are sold at cost or even below. Amazon and Google build their Fires and Nexuses with the idea that they'll suck customers from Apple by making money for the Amazon store and for Google's advertisers. Imagine if all you PC conservatives had ads every twenty seconds paying for your Office Suite. They're nice tablets, But every company makes things to make money. So, the browser will go to the Amazon store very well. It's made to give more business to Amazon. As a giveaway. For Google, they give the software away because they make money on the other end. To me this is a lack of privacy: the Walmart-ization of the Internet. Well, it's not that great, and the store policemen follow you around, but it's cheap! These tablets are promotional devices.

To me, buying something as sophisticated as a computer, cellphone or tablet means it's a device I want to have. Yes, Apple made the Apple Store, and they sell files of all kinds there. Mostly, it's 3rd party, and Apple's taking a cut. But you buy an iPad for the fact that -- have you seen the Google results pages lately? At the beginning, Google got our search because it worked much better and it didn't louse up your "home page" with all that junk. Blinking cursor in the empty slot. Waiting for you. No ads at the beginning. Then a couple of discreet things in the corner you could ignore. Now the ad results try to hide themselves with the other results, And tons of screwed up SEO. An ad-supported platform. Selling advertisers your deep data.

Now, I grew up in the television years. I remember when they were bringing in "pay tv"; it started at about $20 a month. Spend a little money, and you don't have to have a constant barrage of ads! Movies without commercial interruption! That lasted maybe five years, and then the ads crept in. Now we have "hundreds" of "networks" -- bull. We have hundreds of businesses with a small number of cheap shows to run, over and over. That's not a channel. And then, tune into one of

Now, if that low a price is most important to you, fine. I'll take the iPad mini. I can do everything that the HD says, and more. And the ecosystem isn't ad-ad-ad. And the makers enjoy designing it and they make a few bucks.

And then, we don't know if this isn't just something made up by Amazon PR. Yes, before the release of the Apple mini tablet, I'm sure that tablet sales went down (from where to where?), and then Amazon sold some more tablets after people saw the cheaper move was better for them. Sure. But I'll take the iPad, thanks. A 2cv is fun, and it might be good for you, but isn't a Porsche.

Forum Links
Forum Rules