Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Intel tells China to NOT use Linux

Intel tells China to NOT use Linux
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1057562182635

Intel says that by going with Linux they'll be incompatible with 80% of the planet.

However, with China holding 1/8 of the entire population of the world, I don't think they could give a sh*t.

Go China!

(I think it's more that China is going to use their Dragon CPU and a non-Windows OS, so Intel stands to lose a LOT of money.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 04:52 PM

they have computers in china?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1057562182635

Intel says that by going with Linux they'll be incompatible with 80% of the planet.

However, with China holding 1/8 of the entire population of the world, I don't think they could give a sh*t.

Go China!

(I think it's more that China is going to use their Dragon CPU and a non-Windows OS, so Intel stands to lose a LOT of money.)
Them and what Army? lol, oh wait, Intel has Micro$oft on their back. But really, like China will listen to them. They have the history of doing their own thing.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

ambush
Banned
Sep 22, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by John B. Smith:
they have computers in china?
There are ignorants in America?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
There are ignorants in America?
No?

China is about the fastest growing marked in the world. Ofcourse any global brand is interested in getting a foot inside there.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2003, 05:47 PM

I thought China had their Dragon chip (Intel clone) so they didn't really give a hoot what Intel and other American tech companies thought
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 05:51 PM

It's interesting how the east can make almost perfect facsimiles of western technology.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 05:53 PM

It's interesting how the east can make almost perfect facsimiles of western technology.
So you not only lack a sense of humor, but also any shred of intelligence. Interesting.

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
So you not only lack a sense of humor, but also any shred of intelligence. Interesting.
I'd rather be a dry, dumb wasp than a red! We're gonna fight them damn commies and make sure they never steal our precious computers! 1 in every 9 technology employees in the US is a spy for China, and they're siphoning away our valuable information property. Something has to be done.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 06:00 PM

After reading the linked article above, it sounds like the intel heads are trying to give the impression the asians are going to reinvent the wheel or something. Oh well.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 06:02 PM

In the not too distant future, China will be the US primary competitor in all fields. The EU will be there also, but China is on a mission to catch up with and surpass the West in everything. They have the resources and the manpower to do it. Watch out!

I'm of course in favor of a multipolar world and I have an affinity for Chinise history. The world is a more dangerous place because of US hegemony.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 06:06 PM

I'd rather be a dry, dumb wasp than a red! We're gonna fight them damn commies and make sure they never steal our precious computers! 1 in every 9 technology employees in the US is a spy for China, and they're siphoning away our valuable information property. Something has to be done.
Does it run in your family, this problem of yours?
weird wabbit

ZackS
Banned
Sep 22, 2003, 06:14 PM

Calm down, he told me that japan was cool and not included in that statement. Also, he loves you.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 06:41 PM

Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 07:12 PM

http://www.go-l.com/store/index.htm

Cheaper, more powerful, more elegant, better OS, more compatible, etc.

That site is so full of **** I can smell it all the way over here in CA.
Aloha

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Calm down, he told me that japan was cool and not included in that statement. Also, he loves you.
What does Japan have to do with anything? The guy was being a jackass, and I think most people can recognize that.

Regardless, he's on my ignore list now, so problem solved.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 08:43 PM

lol could it be intel will refuse to sell intel CPUs to china if china doesn't promise to use Windows
Aloha

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Link:
lol could it be intel will refuse to sell intel CPUs to china if china doesn't promise to use Windows
Hehe, "We won't sell you our product if you're just going to go and use a cheaper alternative anyway!".

wolfen
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:53 PM

I remember reading an interview by one of those young chinese black market, software re-branding pirates. I know there won't be much sympathy for his position, but I still liked it...

"China invented paper and gunpowder long before the west. If you think we owe YOU royalties, you're crazy."

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
"China invented paper and gunpowder long before the west. If you think we owe YOU royalties, you're crazy."
Score! Good one! I'm pretty happy with the idea of China doing their own thing. Bringing some real competition to bare.

I say, China, take the fight to the West and innovate like crazy. Make a better product than the WinTel crap. Competition benefits all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 09:12 PM

so should we be worried about this? i hope china doesn't listen to them
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Link:
http://www.go-l.com/store/index.htm

Cheaper, more powerful, more elegant, better OS, more compatible, etc.

That site is so full of **** I can smell it all the way over here in CA.
Screw their wizz-bang XP boxes...I want one of their multi-monitor displays.

If you got the bucks, from 45" to 92" wide.

Gimme, gimme, gimme.

ambush
Banned
Sep 22, 2003, 09:53 PM

Open your eyes. Everything in your computer was made in china. Your sweatshirt was made in China. Everything (almost) is made in China.

Paranoia excess? You're almost funny

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Open your eyes. Everything in your computer was made in china. Your sweatshirt was made in China. Everything (almost) is made in China.

Paranoia excess? You're almost funny
Except when it's made in Taiwan

ambush
Banned
Sep 22, 2003, 10:03 PM

Man, L is really copying Apple.

I bet 5 bucks this venture will fail in 4 months.

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 11:16 PM

how would this make china incompatible? i don't understand. they can use the same parts, they can still hop on instant messenger and make text files. heck, i'd use linux for everything if i didn't have OSX, because it's pretty good. and i bet the government agencies in asia aren't overly concerned with running photoshop or dreamweaver :cP
if this is any kind of legitimate warning, i'd say it's more of a problem with the US gov't being dependent on Windows. maybe we're on our way to requiring other countries to digitally sign peace treaties with Microsoft Peacekeeper� or some bull.
I say China gives intel the finger and revs up the dragon chip production, or at least turns to AMD.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 23, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Sosa:
The world is a more dangerous place because of US hegemony.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:07 AM

Just another case of MS/Intel bullying people.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

gadster
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 07:11 AM

I wish China would float their currency.
e-gads

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
I wish China would float their currency.
That was out of the blue. But I agree

--J

philm
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 08:51 AM

Much more than that. Their 1.3 billion population means they have 21% of the global total. Some others: India 16%, United States 4.6%.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2003, 05:51 PM

Ok, so they almost have a quarter of the population. Doesn't change that whatever Intel says about the market China stands to make a lot of money anyway.

China could move to typewriters and still make money.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 05:57 PM

What does Japan have to do with anything? The guy was being a jackass, and I think most people can recognize that.

Regardless, he's on my ignore list now, so problem solved.
I think he was being sarcastic and then when you called him on it he got even more so. I thought it was funny, personally.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 06:32 PM

China could move to typewriters and still make money.
Not if they want to type in Chinese they can't.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 23, 2003, 10:42 PM

I doubt they'll get a whole lot of desktop computer use out of the Dragon processor in the near term.

However, I hear that Red Flag Linux is actually quite a good distro.

I think having a more portable desktop OS that isn't dependent upon x86 is worries Intel somewhat though. Windows = x86. Linux = all sorts of CPUs, including updated versions of a Dragon processor.

BTW, with Safari 1.0 v85.5 the text of the article lights up as if were one big link. Anyone else have this problem?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 11:21 PM

The high costs of such a two-pronged approach would make it difficult to compete. "You have to ask yourself this: is there an advantage to having a proprietary standard in your country?" he added. To adopt unique regional technologies would mean "not participating in the rest of the world because you have a proprietary standard, and not being able to inter-operate with the rest of the world. I fail to see the benefit".
Gotta love the words "proprietary" and "standard" in one sentence.

China.. are you ready?

I watched that adidas soccer TV ad few days ago.. those Chinese girl soccer team did some good works.

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 11:36 PM

For the record, Wataru, I do not actually think that 1 in 9 of our IT guys are spying for China, and I'm a big fan of Japanese technology. Amends?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 11:43 PM

John B. Smith

Was that the same ol' John B. Smith?

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:47 PM

forget it, I don't have anything useful to say

���������������������
I want you to have my credit card number

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
BTW, with Safari 1.0 v85.5 the text of the article lights up as if were one big link. Anyone else have this problem?
yeah i see it with v85.5, too, but i've had it happen with other articles before the safari update.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Sosa:
In the not too distant future, China will be the US primary competitor in all fields. The EU will be there also, but China is on a mission to catch up with and surpass the West in everything. They have the resources and the manpower to do it. Watch out!

I'm of course in favor of a multipolar world and I have an affinity for Chinise history. The world is a more dangerous place because of US hegemony.
While China may have a fast growing economy, you have to look at the base in which the percentages are increasing on.

Chinese rural infrastructure is still 3rd world standards and is not improving much. The GDP per capita is still at a similar level with many African countries. The main growth is in the manufacturing centres (ie the eastern major cities), which still suffer from widespread poverty and disease.

The slow democratization of China is progressing very slowly indeed, human rights abuses are widespread, free speech restricted, government departments riddled with corruption, social services non-existent for the average labourer. None of this is helping progress.
In vino veritas.

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
The slow democratization of China is progressing very slowly indeed, human rights abuses are widespread, free speech restricted, government departments riddled with corruption, social services non-existent for the average labourer. None of this is helping progress.
While all of this may be true, the fact remains that with such a large population it will be difficult to achieve Western standards accross the entire country. But with the economy growing as fast as it is and the huge wealth being created, there is bound to be a trickle down effect. I also know that the Chinese have several huge programs to improve the western rural country side. I was reading an article somewhere the other day on how Tibet is flourishing under Chinese rule, how there seems to be more Chinese than Tibetians living there, etc.

Where I think China will catch up with the West quickly is technologically and militarily. The country is still backwards in many respects but rapid advancement in these fields is happening. They are in close cooperation with Russia (who needs markets for their military technology) and sending feelers to Japan (recent deals to ship oil via a pipeline). China's acquisition of Taiwan is only a matter of time, and this will prove to be a huge economic and technological boost. Another potential is a strategic alliance with Japan (as far fetched as this may sound). The US wants to make sure these things don't happen, and China knows it.

Zimphire does not agree with my statement that the world is more dangerous place because of US hegemony. This is a feeling shared by most educated people in the international arena. This is why there was such huge opposition to the unilateral action on Iraq.

Zimphire, perhaps you should actually back up ideas rather than make funny faces!
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 11:41 AM

Oh and by the way, in case anyone else is interested in China's likelihood of becoming a superpower (rather than just a regional power) check out a new book I just picked up:

Modernizing China's Military by David Shambaugh, University of Cal. Press 2002.

I've read the first 2 Chapters. The author states that China has become aware over the last decade that the US is in the midst of a paradign shift in military thought thanks to advanced technology and China is playing catch up. The Chinese see the US as its main threat, mainly because of its support of Taiwan. They see the possibility of future conflict as increasingly likely and are delaying confrontation until their military is ready.
Join Team MacNN.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2003, 04:26 PM

They have our plans for a neutron bomb. Though I think China may be a little more responsible than Korea with a nuclear weapon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules