Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > N B A

N B A (Page 3)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2008, 09:25 AM

Ask any GM in the league if they'd trade a title for what's currently happening Miami.

I think they'd still say yes.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 05:05 PM

Basketball season being in mid-swing, I got inspired to use my new Wacom tablet and "Salty-ized" Dirk.

Not that my Mavs have a chance at making it past the second round, but neither did the NY Giants.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 04:57 AM

Up from the ashes comes the NBA thread...

Seriously? Has all basketball talk died down completely, even during one of the most exciting playoffs of the post-Jordan era?

And did anyone else catch Rasheed Wallace bobbing his head and singing the lyrics to "Paradise City" when the Pistons were 3 up and desperately needing a score to cement the win?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 08:35 AM

Don't look at me, whatever excitement I had died with the Raptors staggering to the regular season finish, followed by the Spurs decapitating the Suns will on a ****ing lucky ass Duncan three.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2008, 08:37 AM

Well, let's just look at the early predictions when the finals started. "The Spurs are old men and New Orleans will run all over them." Oops, didn't happen, did it? And how about the Celtics losing AT HOME to the Pistons? That goes against the same sort of conventional wisdom that said the Spurs would lose the series with NO because the last game was at New Orleans. Patterns are just that, and not really predictors. It looks like it's going to be a really interesting final series, and I'm still thinking it'll be the Pistons against the Spurs. I think I mentioned that a long time ago, too: linky. I'm not claiming to be "right", but it is nice to see that my ideas about who would come out on top were on the mark.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Well, let's just look at the early predictions when the finals started. "The Spurs are old men and New Orleans will run all over them. Oops, didn't happen, did it?"
The Spurs are old men. The entire series was a statistical anomaly. I don't know if I'd be bragging "oops didn't happen, did it?" about a series that went 7 games with the Spurs only road win being the last game, which went down to the wire.

It looks like it's going to be a really interesting final series, and I'm still thinking it'll be the Pistons against the Spurs.
DOES NOT COMPUTE
That's an interesting finals... for Spurs and Pistons fans.

I think I mentioned that a long time ago, too: linky. I'm not claiming to be "right", but it is nice to see that my ideas about who would come out on top were on the mark.
Predicting Pistons/Spurs is the safe bet.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2008, 09:08 AM

The hornets still didn't "run all over them" though, did they? The Spurs won by at least 9 points (game 4's margin was 20 points) in four games, which means the "old men" were able to keep up with one of the youngest teams in the NBA. And this 7 game pattern is not unusual for the Spurs; nor is their "we do fine for the first half and then screw up in the 3rd quarter" habit.

One thing I thought was interesting about the San Antonio-New Orleans series was that the Hornets actually played as a team, unlike teams like the Heat or the Rockets, where they have a star player and a lot of supporting players. That's nice to see.

And I think a Pistons—Spurs final will be interesting for a lot of people. The Pistons have gotten to the semi-finals something like six years in a row, and have only been IN the finals once in that time and they lost to the Spurs. Meanwhile, the Spurs, as "defending champions" and "old men" are going to be interesting because a lot of people didn't think they'd make the playoffs, and here they are, going up against the Lakers (another "star player" team) in yet another old rivalry. It is really all supposed to be entertainment, right? So it looks like it'll be entertaining for a lot of people.

And in February when I said I thought the Spurs would go to the finals, they were doing "not so well." The Pistons were doing quite well, but they had some issues to address too: keeping up their momentum has been a Pistons problem for quite some time. Maybe it was a safe bet from today's perspective, but it wasn't all that safe then. I got lucky.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 09:29 AM

The hornets still didn't "run all over them" though, did they? The Spurs won by at least 9 points (game 4's margin was 20 points) in four games, which means the "old men" were able to keep up with one of the youngest teams in the NBA.
The Spurs lost 3 games in N.O. by a combined 59 points. I'd call that being run over. Hell, the point differential in the series was +1. The Spurs came within a hair of winning the series without actually outscoring their opponent.

If the Spurs aren't old men, I expect to see Horry, Finley and Barry all back next year. Jacque Vaughn, too.

One thing I thought was interesting about the San Antonio-New Orleans series was that the Hornets actually played as a team, unlike teams like the Heat or the Rockets, where they have a star player and a lot of supporting players. That's nice to see.
Arguably, the Hornets lost when the team was fractured into Jannero Pargo going gunslinger in the last 3 minutes of Game 7. I couldn't believe how little Chris Paul saw the ball down the stretch.

And I think a Pistons—Spurs final will be interesting for a lot of people. The Pistons have gotten to the semi-finals something like six years in a row, and have only been IN the finals once in that time and they lost to the Spurs. Meanwhile, the Spurs, as "defending champions" and "old men" are going to be interesting because a lot of people didn't think they'd make the playoffs, and here they are, going up against the Lakers (another "star player" team) in yet another old rivalry. It is really all supposed to be entertainment, right? So it looks like it'll be entertaining for a lot of people.
Yes, those people are Spurs and Pistons fans.

From an entertainment perspective those teams offer very little. Manu Ginobli is entertaining on offense, but his flopping on defense (as well as the entire Spurs teams' "How is that a foul?!" on every call) pretty much cancels it out. After that, I really could care less about anyone else. A lot of good players, but not really any entertaining ones. The personality of both teams is awful.

And in February when I said I thought the Spurs would go to the finals, they were doing "not so well." The Pistons were doing quite well, but they had some issues to address too: keeping up their momentum has been a Pistons problem for quite some time. Maybe it was a safe bet from today's perspective, but it wasn't all that safe then. I got lucky.
The Spurs are a tougher pick -- they don't repeat. But the Pistons have been picked every year for the last 4 to go to the finals. They've choked 3 of those times, leaving pundits with just enough faith to pick them every year.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

Last year's ref scandal confirmed what my dad told me years ago, the NBA is rigged.
45/47

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 12:03 PM

Why is everyone pretty much convinced the Spurs will advance to the Finals? Ginobili is banged up right now, and the rest of the squad (sans Tony Parker) is, as has been driven into the ground, tired old men.

It's interesting that you guys thing Spurs/Pistons are a lock. I understand Boston has to prove that they can actually win a freakin' road game, but I don't think it's set in stone just yet. I think the Lakers will advance. The Eastern Conference, I'm not so sure.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:04 PM

I haven't said anything about who I think is advancing.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

Last night showed Detroit is, at it's best, a better team when it counts than Boston. They're just tough - that place was loud, the Celtics were back in the game and they just kept their cool. It was awesome to watch. You can't really double team andybody because they can all hit the big shot when it counts.

I'm not saying Boston's done, but they'd have to play out of their minds AND Detroit would need to come unravelled for them to take the series.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Detroit would need to come unravelled for them to take the series.
Isn't that pretty much how the past two teams got past them?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Last year's ref scandal confirmed what my dad told me years ago, the NBA is rigged.
How so? For gambling, sure. Outcome (who wins?). Not a chance. Refs can influence the direction of games, but they don't control it. A bad team won't beat a good team without an obvious amount of intervention.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
How so? For gambling, sure. Outcome (who wins?). Not a chance. Refs can influence the direction of games, but they don't control it. A bad team won't beat a good team without an obvious amount of intervention.
Exactly. Remember the ref strike? The replacement refs called the game like it was supposed to be called and the players freaked.

Refs can kill momentum by calling phantom fouls and help a team by not calling fouls. In the playoffs, how often did Kareem get called for camping in the key? If you breathed on Magic, foul. Did Jordon ever get called for palming and shuffling as he went to the basket?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:11 PM

I think I have to object to your term of the use rigged. If you're saying there's preference based on status then I agree whole-heartedly. Superstars get preferential treatment, but even MJ didn't see the like of some of the calls you see nowadays. Obvious things are let go for everyone -palming and continuation steps come to mind - but the level to which guys like Iverson (palming) and LeBron (steps -- he got 4 on a play last week) get let go is ridiculous.

I think you'll also find the hardcore NBA fans aren't exactly enamored with this. I think it's a side-effect of the post-MJ era -- giving players latitude with which to create spectacular plays and take over the game (great for ratings!). The level with which it has left refs to interpret the game has really begun irking people the past few years, though.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:19 PM

Agreed, rigged is too strong a word. Let's say the refs can make it easier for some teams and harder for others to advance. That has been the issue with the Suns. They get a good lead, then let the other team get close, where the refs can have an affect on the game by fouling a key a player out, or keep putting the other team on the line.
45/47

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 01:28 PM

Preferential or superstar treatment is usually the term used.

It's funny with the Suns. For a team so universally adored and filled with a few likable guy, they sure couldn't get much respect from the refs.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 03:01 PM

Preferential or superstar treatment is usually the term used.

It's funny with the Suns. For a team so universally adored and filled with a few likable guy, they sure couldn't get much respect from the refs.
Shaq now knows what it is like to be on the other side of the whistle. Back in the day, Mark West could not get a call to save his life. My nephew was watching a game and the ref called a foul on him, and he was sitting on the bench!
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2008, 04:58 PM

The Spurs are a tougher pick -- they don't repeat. But the Pistons have been picked every year for the last 4 to go to the finals. They've choked 3 of those times, leaving pundits with just enough faith to pick them every year.
The Spurs also "don't win important games on the other team's home court" either. They "never" come back like they did in NO. Patterns are patterns, not predestination. Let's wait and see.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 06:26 PM

Isn't that pretty much how the past two teams got past them?
They looked as good last night as they've looked ever. I'm not sure they can stop the Spurs or the Lakers - nobody on the Celtics comes close to Kobe or Duncan or Ginobili (unless they're not healthy). The Celtics, on the other hand, are so flawed you can't be sure what they'll do - they could dominate or they could fold.

The point is - where was Paul Pierce last night? Why does their best player, Garnett, take jumpshots when he should be charging the basket?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 09:29 PM

The Spurs also "don't win important games on the other team's home court" either. They "never" come back like they did in NO. Patterns are patterns, not predestination. Let's wait and see.
Indeed, that's why we play the games.

They looked as good last night as they've looked ever.
The Pistons have all the tools to be a champion. Except mental toughness. Or a coach.

I'm not sure they can stop the Spurs or the Lakers - nobody on the Celtics comes close to Kobe or Duncan or Ginobili (unless they're not healthy). The Celtics, on the other hand, are so flawed you can't be sure what they'll do - they could dominate or they could fold.
Statistically, Garnett is Duncan, and Pierce is more than capable of putting up 40+ and doing a Kobe impression here and there.

The point is - where was Paul Pierce last night? Why does their best player, Garnett, take jumpshots when he should be charging the basket?
Disturbing the Celts are 0-3 when Ray Ray scores 20. As for Garnett... he's proven to be a clutch player once in all his years in the playoffs. I'm rooting for the guy though. No one works harder or wants it more, day in, day out.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 11:04 PM

The Pistons have all the tools to be a champion. Except mental toughness. Or a coach.
The Pistons have all the mental toughness needed. What fails them is the ability to shoot a high percentage consistently. They can have long droughts when the J's aren't falling, and 'sheed likes to hang at the 3-point arch. They have no go to guy who can take over if needed.

Flip gets too much grief, I think. He called up a sweet inbounds play last night at the right time.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 11:46 PM

Aaaaand, the Spurs just looked ridiculous.

Ginobili is in a funk. Whether it's the injury or not, something is bad wrong with the guy, and that spells sweep for San Antonio.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 11:53 PM

Wow, that was an ass-kicking.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 24, 2008, 01:39 AM

Yeah. This series looks like a done deal.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 24, 2008, 09:48 AM

They look tired.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2008, 10:46 AM

It's been frustrating to watch the Spurs play like this, all season long. Lots of highs and some spectacular lows.

That being said, the worst of it is the off the court, emotional/moral attachments that we instill in what is, just a game. For me, if the Spurs go down like this, against that team, with its arrogance, and right or wrong, my perception of their poor character (esp. coach and Superstar), it will be devastating.

I really think the Lakers legacy (which I didn't see much of growing up) has been damaged by the Phil/Shaq/Kobe era and post Shaq present day manifestation.

Hopefully, the Spurs can come back and win on the court, and all peripheral concerns will be just that, peripheral. If we can make it competitive, but still end up losing we can take solace in conspiracy theories, if we win, then we can look back at every media sportswriter, every never-won-a-ring player/commentator/loser, and all the other Spurs haters and laugh.

Win or lose, they're my home team.

Win or lose, I'm a fan.

There's too little of that sentiment these days.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Win or lose, I'm a fan.

There's too little of that sentiment these days.
I agree completely with these statements. Being military and moving around quite a bit, I sort of let go of even following pro teams in anything. I don't even bother with reading the sports section of the paper anymore. But a dear friend is a very devoted fan, and I keep up with the Spurs because of her. It sort of grows on you, especially with a team like the Spurs that is not "star focused" nor the fastest, youngest, tallest, expensivest" team in the league. I like that they're a bunch of guys that play really good basketball and act like normal joes as much as possible.

Having grown up in the Detroit area, I followed the Pistons quite a lot as a kid, and back then (a LONG time ago) they were a powerhouse team that played rough and hard. Back then, when the Pistons played the Bulls, if there wasn't blood on the floor, there wasn't a foul called—or they were all in the locker room at half time). That was "exciting" basketball, but it was NOT a game. But it's supposed to be a game, right? Playing by the rules and winning or losing by the energy, drive and strategy the team works up is supposed to be what it's all about, right?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I understand Boston has to prove that they can actually win a freakin' road game, but I don't think it's set in stone just yet.
It was about time, that's for sure.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
The Pistons have all the mental toughness needed. What fails them is the ability to shoot a high percentage consistently. They can have long droughts when the J's aren't falling, and 'sheed likes to hang at the 3-point arch. They have no go to guy who can take over if needed.
It should be Sheed or Billups, but neither has the mentality to do it (I seem to recall Mr. Clutch being decidedly anti-clutch last year).

Flip gets too much grief, I think. He called up a sweet inbounds play last night at the right time.
Flip gets too much grief? The guy got nixed from the playoffs in the first round seven straight times. If the Pistons lose this series that'll be three consecutive in the ECF with his new team. The guy reeks of fail in the postseason.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 10:30 AM

Flip gets too much grief in Detroit. I couldn't care less about Minnesota.

As much as a Stones fan as I am, at this level--especially with Detroit with a core that's played together for as long as they have--it's less about coaching aptitude than managing. Pick three other coaches that would've put Detroit over the edge--that would've 100% guaranteed they made it to the Finals.

The only issue I have with Flip is riding the starters for too long in previous seasons--but a lot of that has to do with Pistons' weaker bench talent at the time, and Flip can't control that.

Billup and Sheed are no Lebron, no Kobe. It has nothing to do with mental toughness--it has to do with talent. Too many times has Billups driven the lane and lost the ball OOB or been stripped for him to take over (which is refreshing to me when Stuckey does successfully). Too many times has Sheed forced the fade away from the baseline to front rim it.

At this point, I'd agree that with Jon Barry when he said on TNT that the Pistons are the Atlanta Braves of the NBA. And I'll take a championship with four ECF appearances rather than be Miami.

ETA: It's moot anyway this year: LA is winning it all.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 10:37 AM

As much as a Stones fan as I am, at this level--especially with Detroit with a core that's played together for as long as they have--it's less about coaching aptitude than managing. Pick three other coaches that would've put Detroit over the edge--that would've 100% guaranteed they made it to the Finals.
You know, I agree with this. He can't manage the egos. But this is partly because of his past. Flip gets no respect from the players because he hasn't done anything. As for the three coaches, I assume we're not counting Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, or Pat Riley?

The only issue I have with Flip is riding the starters for too long in previous seasons--but a lot of that has to do with Pistons' weaker bench talent at the time, and Flip can't control that.
I think there are some confidence issues with the bench that weren't completely justified. That said, I absolutely love their bench this year.

Billup and Sheed are no Lebron, no Kobe. It has nothing to do with mental toughness--it has to do with talent. Too many times has Billups driven the line and lost the ball OOB or been stripped for him to take over (which is refreshing to me when Stuckey does successfully). Too many times has Sheed forced the fade away from the baseline to front rim it.
Read up on Sheed. Many people think he could have been one of the greatest PFs of all time, if only he'd had the right mindset. As for Billups, you get a nickname like Mr. Bigshot, I expect you to live up to it.

At this point, I'd agree that with Jon Barry when he said on TNT that the Pistons are the Atlanta Braves of the NBA. And I'll take a championship with four ECF appearances rather than be Miami.
Well, no ****. But would you take your last three years versus Miami's? That's a real question.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 02:52 PM

You know, I agree with this. He can't manage the egos. But this is partly because of his past. Flip gets no respect from the players because he hasn't done anything. As for the three coaches, I assume we're not counting Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, or Pat Riley?
Yeah, I should've said available coaches after Brown left. Don Nelson hasn't won anything. Could he have pushed the Pistons to a third finals? It's tough to follow Larry Brown--the kook. Who could with the same presence?

I think there are some confidence issues with the bench that weren't completely justified. That said, I absolutely love their bench this year.
As do I, and the starters this year have played the fewest minutes since 2004.

Read up on Sheed. Many people think he could have been one of the greatest PFs of all time, if only he'd had the right mindset. As for Billups, you get a nickname like Mr. Bigshot, I expect you to live up to it.
We're not syncing on the term "mental toughness" I think. For me, I think the Pistons are mentally tough but not 98th percentile talented, individually, to take over a game. Sheed is supremely talented--he doesn't have the mindset to take over. This doesn't mean he's not mentally tough. I don't need to read up--I was a partial season ticket holder from 2002-2006 (until the nadir of Detroit's economy hit and we moved to MD).

Well, no ****. But would you take your last three years versus Miami's? That's a real question.
The Pistons were a blown Sheed defensive assignment against Horry in game five of the 2005 Finals, losing the chance to return to SA up three to two--not saying that the Pistons winning was guaranteed. Of course I'd take Detroit's last three years to Miami's. The Heat have one championship and fell off a cliff. Detroit's at least there to the almost end every year. We expect to be in the top four. We don't have to sit through a sub-20 win season. It would be different if we didn't win in 2004, but we did.

At least we're not the Bills.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I should've said available coaches after Brown left. Don Nelson hasn't won anything. Could he have pushed the Pistons to a third finals? It's tough to follow Larry Brown--the kook. Who could with the same presence?
No one, honestly. I don't remember who was available at the time, but the Flip singing read as choosing someone who the players would like after grinding it out with Larry the past two years.

We're not syncing on the term "mental toughness" I think. For me, I think the Pistons are mentally tough but not 98th percentile talented, individually, to take over a game. Sheed is supremely talented--he doesn't have the mindset to take over. This doesn't mean he's not mentally tough. I don't need to read up--I was a partial season ticket holder from 2002-2006 (until the nadir of Detroit's economy hit and we moved to MD).
It's all encompassing for me. Sheed has gotten himself tossed in the 4th quarter of losing ECF efforts in previous years. IIRC, they may both have been elimination games, too.

Of course I'd take Detroit's last three years to Miami's. The Heat have one championship and fell off a cliff. Detroit's at least there to the almost end every year. We expect to be in the top four. We don't have to sit through a sub-20 win season.
I dunno. To be honest, I prefer the Heat to the Pistons, but from a more objective perspective, if you gave the choice between 3 straight ECFs and a finals appearance and an aging crew with the Raps, and a 2 ECFs, a championship, and a 1st round wipe, with a team that may be quickly rebuilt, I think I go with B.

The correct answer may get decided in the next two years. If Riley can rebuild, if Wade can recover, it's intriguing.
I'm equally intrigued by the Pistons though. I want to see how Dumars handles the inevitable dismantling of this crew. He and Mark Cuban have played it similarly the past few years. I think both should have made some kind of change after last summer.
(Admittedly Cuban did, but it seemed like playing the wrong card too late. Not to mention overpaying, both in the trade and in salary)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 11:08 AM

Well, Saunders got canned. Looks like Dumars realized its time to restructure the team.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 11:22 AM

i'm kinda depressed about this finals. Kobe's amazing, KG's wonderful. But both teams are here because of rather dubious gifts trades.

It feels like this was fixed by the league or something. I'm not saying it is, it just feels that way.

Ah well, I'll be rooting for the underdog, if only because I'd like to see Garnett win one.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 11:29 AM

Yeah, McHale should have won exec of the year for resurrecting the Celtics franchise. There was definitely some wink and nod crap going on with the Grizz trade. The best part is Wallace has been trying to overcompensate for the fact that he got ripped/allowed himself to by lowballing trades involving the rest of his players.

I'm rooting for Garnett and Pierce, though I loooove Phil Jackson.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 11:45 AM

So where are all the former Knicks in front office jobs to help us out? How come you show us no love Kiki?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 11:48 AM

Because he works under Rod Thorn.

Edit: I suggested this is another forum a while ago, but now that it's viable, mark my words: Flip Saunders will be coaching the Suns next season.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 11:50 AM

Lakers in 5. They have the best player and best coach. Defensively they are close, but offensively the LAkers have more depth.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 11:56 AM

This is the most lop-sided coaching match-up I can remember. If Doc can pull this off, it will blow my mind.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 12:00 PM

Because he works under Rod Thorn.

Edit: I suggested this is another forum a while ago, but now that it's viable, mark my words: Flip Saunders will be coaching the Suns next season.
I meant when he waqs actually gm, with the nuggetses. Then again he had nothing to offer.

Let's hope Detroit doesn't panic and go the defensive coach route with Jeff Van Gundy.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 12:05 PM

I meant when he waqs actually gm, with the nuggetses. Then again he had nothing to offer.

Let's hope Detroit doesn't panic and go the defensive coach route with Jeff Van Gundy.
You may not get much better than that. My prediction would be Avery Johnson.

Or Michael Curry.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2008, 12:18 PM

The Pistons are going to have to start rebuilding fairly soon. They might have another year or two left in serious contention.

Wallace is 33.
Billups is 31.
Hamilton is 30.
McDyess is 33.
Prince is the only significant player in his 20s at 28.

Considering the fact that the East isn't getting stronger any time soon, the Pistons might roll on to another Eastern Conference Finals or two, but the clock is starting to tick on them.

They need some fresh blood and some more energy. Sheed just looked nonchalant during the series with the Celtics.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Lakers in 5. They have the best player and best coach. Defensively they are close, but offensively the LAkers have more depth.
That's what I've been telling my friends on Monday nights (basketball night).

If the Lakers can steal one in Boston in game 1 or 2, they'll coast through the three games in L.A.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 12:31 PM

This is the most lop-sided coaching match-up I can remember. If Doc can pull this off, it will blow my mind.
Hmmmm... What about the Cavs v Spurs last year? Mike Brown v Pops. Id say that Popovich is very close to PhilJ, and that Mike Brown is clueless. At least Doc Rivers is liked by his players.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 12:39 PM

Bill Simmons picked your choice, but this is how I break it down: Mike Brown was a former assistant to Gregg Popovich. He was their defensive coach (much like Tom Thibadeau for Doc Rivers). So, Mike Brown = Defensive specialist, Doc Rivers = Players coach? That's his only real claim to fame, right? Advantage Brown, no matter how offensively challenged he may be.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 12:48 PM

LOL, yes he did. But then again, he doesnt think much of Doc Rivers either.

Part of being a coach is to manage the egos, keep the youngsters confident, be a leader, sometimes be a cheerleader, and other times be a critic... Doc does those things well while Mike Brown... seems like a career assistant. Take Don Nelson, who this year basically ran Zero plays and let the team do whatever, all he did was yell at the right times, and the players listened, and the Warriors had a good year (Id wager they are a better team than the Cavs).

BTW, what do you think of Rudy T as a coach?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Part of being a coach is to manage the egos, keep the youngsters confident, be a leader, sometimes be a cheerleader, and other times be a critic... Doc does those things well while Mike Brown... seems like a career assistant.
Completely agreed. But how many of those does Doc really fulfill? He doesn't keep the youngsters confident with his constant rotation changes, and to call him a leader seems a little over-glorified. And how many of those would you apply to a HOF coach like Larry Brown?

I agree about Mike Brown. I'm left scratching my head that if there are defensive specialist assistant coaches out here, why can't they find an offensive one for Mike?

On to Rudy T. I only really got to know him once the Rockets were rebuilding with Cat Mobley and Michael Dickerson. Seemed like a nice enough guy, but I never got to see him make those two championship runs, so my opinion is pretty irrelevant. He certainly seemed overwhelmed once he got to LA, but I blame that more on the situation.

Edit: Here's a question for you, WOAT, who do you think had the better roster to work with, Brown or Rivers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules