Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ICO & Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 10:17 PM

Now here are two PS2(exclusives i think) games that are really cool looking. Both are made by the same company and are so unique and beautifully conjured up. Ive only seen ICO on my roommates PS2, and it looks really cool and different; there's no HUD, so it's like playing a movie, which is awesome imo. the animation and character design is beautiful, the environments look great and the sounds are really pleasant. Its a very unique game. And Shadow of the Collossus, looks equally stange/different/unique in a good way...visuals are amazing imo, and unique storytelling and gameplay make these games seem great. im going to pick up the PS2 controller to play the latter. If you have a PS2, try em out.

IGN: ICO (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/014/014833.htm)

IGN: Shadow of the Collossus (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/658/658991p3.html)

Screenshot from Shadow of the Collossus:

(great fur rendering)

Cheers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 19, 2005 at 12:55 AM. )

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 10:30 PM

Ico is probably the best videogame I've ever played in my life. It was... perfect. I loved it. It's worth owning a PS2 for, and it's so good I'd consider it an interactive art film. I'll look into that 2nd one, thanks!

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 08:43 AM

I loved every minute of Ico. I've really been looking forward to Shadow of the Colossus...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 09:16 AM

Just watched the IGN Video review.....and WOW. if i was in the market for a PS2/Gamecube/XBox...this game would have made up my mind for me. Absolutely amazing as far as interactive software goes. Simple and beautiful. Instead of having droves of 1000s of identical enemies coming at you, you got a total of 16 in the entire game.

I cant help but draw similarities with the Zelda series, although, this seems a lot LOT nicer.

As soon as my roomie gets it, im gonna play it through.

Cheers

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 3, 2005, 10:24 AM

Oddly enough I put this game on my birthday/xmas list last night.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:26 AM

It is just PS2? I'm confused and lazy to look it up. I got rid of mine and just down to GameCube now.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 3, 2005, 10:29 AM

Yep. PS2 only.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:31 AM

Well...hmm. Damnit. Not going to buy another one. I loose. I suck.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 3, 2005, 10:41 AM

Did you ever play ICO?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:47 AM

Nope. PS2 was mainly for my old PS games (hot shots 1 and 2 and all the NAMCO classics volumes) and new sports (nascar, golf, etc).

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 3, 2005, 11:13 AM

Well I'd say a PS2 is worth getting for ICO alone, so you might want to pick one up.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 11:27 AM

I wouldnt pick up a second console just for 1 or 2 games. luckily my roomie got one of those slim PS2s, and he's interested in this game as well. So i'm covered. If i were you id wait for the next gen consoles to buy a PS2 secondhand or something.

And yeah sadly it's a PS2 exclusive. if it were on the GCN, i'd have gotten it already.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 11:31 AM

I just got done playing God of War. AWESOME! Has anyone played that and these? Are these (Shadow & ICO) just as good? If so I will be picking them up as well.

I have been trying to play SOCOM 3, but I don't think it suits my gaming needs. I guess the whole playing on-line thing is something I will need to get used to. It seems like there will be more and more like that.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 04:25 AM

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I wouldnt pick up a second console just for 1 or 2 games. luckily my roomie got one of those slim PS2s, and he's interested in this game as well. So i'm covered. If i were you id wait for the next gen consoles to buy a PS2 secondhand or something.

And yeah sadly it's a PS2 exclusive. if it were on the GCN, i'd have gotten it already.
You already can buy a PS2 secondhand. Cheap.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
I just got done playing God of War. AWESOME! Has anyone played that and these? Are these (Shadow & ICO) just as good? If so I will be picking them up as well.

I have been trying to play SOCOM 3, but I don't think it suits my gaming needs. I guess the whole playing on-line thing is something I will need to get used to. It seems like there will be more and more like that.
God of War seems to be kinda like Devil May Cry where there's a lot of action and killing things. Ico is completley different. Go to your local used videogame shop, you should be able to find Ico for about $15. It isnt' action packed, it's just something totally different and wonderful.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 12:07 PM

Looks that way

I think I like action games more than a lot of cut scenes

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 12:22 PM

It isn't a lot of cut scenes. Much much less cutscenes than MGS or Devil May Cry. It's a lot of figuring out puzzles, smacking monsters with a stick, and trying to figure out how to get out of whatever location you're in. My other favorite games are Metal Gear Solid, San Andreas, SSX, and all sorts of action packed games, but Ico is the BEST videogame I have ever played. Bar none. It's on a whole 'nother level. You should check it out for $15 or so.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 12:28 PM

Shadow of the Collossus is suposidly the best game for PS2 period.

I watched the reviews etc. but I talked myself out of it because I am really confused as to the game itself.

The whole game you do nothing but fight 20 or so LARGE bosses. The world is also gigantic. They say there are no items to collect or small enemies to fight... so what do you do between bosses? Ride the horse and admire the surroundings? It could be cool but remember how much people hated sailing in the last Zelda game?
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 12:35 PM

I used to like SSX, but it seemed like they couldn't do much more than the first few games as far as different venues/moves are concerned. I love San Andreas, definetly a good one. I think I need to try Metal Gear, I know I will like that.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Shadow of the Collossus is suposidly the best game for PS2 period.

I watched the reviews etc. but I talked myself out of it because I am really confused as to the game itself.

The whole game you do nothing but fight 20 or so LARGE bosses. The world is also gigantic. They say there are no items to collect or small enemies to fight... so what do you do between bosses? Ride the horse and admire the surroundings? It could be cool but remember how much people hated sailing in the last Zelda game?
On paper it might soudn stupid, but having played Ico, I can see how it would work. It's more of an experience... not necessarily just running in the same direction forever. I'm assuming there will also be puzzles too.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 01:07 PM

I've been meaning to pick up Shadow of the Colossus, but haven't gotten around to it. It looks great, and the video review on IGN is nice.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 01:13 PM

I like the idea cause it's simple. use horse, find collossus, figure out how to kill it, use sword, kill it, find the next collossus. With awesome visuals, great sound and a great UI (almost no HUD).

Personally, i find Zelda kinda complicated....too many iteams and obscure little things. having never played a Zelda game before TWW, i felt as though i needed a dicionary to figure out what was going on. But it was a lot of fun, great visuals, music and ideas to fool around with. i think i'd like Collossus a lot more cause of it's simplicity.

Cheers

Edit>>Gamespot has a great video review of this game as well.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:19 PM

You guys... this IS a puzzle game. There will be puzzles to figure out to let you get into the next area, just like in Ico. It isn't just run someplace to another place and kill bosses.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 01:20 PM

Is ico anything like Role playing? Cuz I hate those.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:36 PM

Is ico anything like Role playing? Cuz I hate those.
nope. Get it. It'll be the best game you've ever played, and you can get it for $15 used.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:37 PM

nope. Get it. You can get it for $15 used and it'll be the best game you've ever played. It's kinda a mixture of zelda, an art film, and an epic bedtime story. It's ****ing incredible.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 01:38 PM

****ign forums!!!!!!!

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 01:50 PM

ok i'll get ico for sure. Perhaps Shadow when the price drops a tad. I'll have my 360 to keep my busy till then.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 02:29 PM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 04:32 PM

that screen shot up there, is that in-game? that looks really good, the video review on ign didn't look that good.

i'm thinking of moving my flat-mate's ps2 to our hd 30" widescreen tv and picking up this and ico

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 04:53 PM

well the video review was:

1. Video
2. Low quality video
3. Low resolution video.

DUH.

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 4, 2005, 05:11 PM

ok i'll get ico for sure. Perhaps Shadow when the price drops a tad. I'll have my 360 to keep my busy till then.
$37 on amazon.

nbnz
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 06:28 PM

Looks like they're planning to re-release ICO in the UK
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337066648/

Currently a PAL copy of ICO costs around £70.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
having never played a Zelda game before TWW, i felt as though i needed a dicionary to figure out what was going on. But it was a lot of fun, great visuals, music and ideas to fool around with.
I still can't believe that's the only Zelda game you've played. That's just wrong.

BTW, the possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I still can't believe that's the only Zelda game you've played. That's just wrong.

BTW, the possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe.
Started playing OOT a few months ago.....got to the water temple about 2 months ago, got stuck and gave up. I have no clue where to go or what to do...ive explored all possibilities, but cant get anywhere. I'll pick it up when i find time.

Cheers

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 03:22 PM

Water Temple was my favourite

I've read somewhere that "puzzles" in Shadow of the Colossus will take the form of - how do I get over this vast chasm... and other stuff like that while travelling between colossi.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 03:30 AM

So does shadow have puzzles other than fighting the beasts?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 09:38 AM

No puzzles other then the beasts....But I would think that is enough and after about the second one, you really have to start thinking about what you are doing. Also, because you can slowly regen health, you can keep going until you figure out how to beat it and make these battles last for like an hour or longer if need be.
Also, don't let the idea of 16 bosses and 16 bosses only fool you, most of your time is not travelling around.
I have a friend at work who is an avid gamer who is having issues even with the second colossi.

I loved both games but I still have to buy Ico, I borrowed it from a friend.

Edit: That is an ingame shot aswell....Very VERY good looking game.
Who reads this???

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 2, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
So does shadow have puzzles other than fighting the beasts?
Yes. You have to figure out where to go, how to get over obstacles, and what to do to get somewhere. It's a bit like ICO. You realize you have to get to the next gate, but you're not really sure how. I just beat SOTC and it was pretty incredible. I still think ICO is a better game, due to the fact you don't have to worry about camera angles, but SOTC is one of the most epic games I've ever played. I suggest picking it up, because I doubt anybody would be dissapointed in it. It's great!

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowoftheColossus
Yes. You have to figure out where to go, how to get over obstacles, and what to do to get somewhere. It's a bit like ICO. You realize you have to get to the next gate, but you're not really sure how. I just beat SOTC and it was pretty incredible. I still think ICO is a better game, due to the fact you don't have to worry about camera angles, but SOTC is one of the most epic games I've ever played. I suggest picking it up, because I doubt anybody would be dissapointed in it. It's great!
I'm gonna get it when it gets on the greatest hits list.

Right now the 360 is keeping me more than busy.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 2, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
I'm gonna get it when it gets on the greatest hits list.

Right now the 360 is keeping me more than busy.
Have fun supporting MS then. And I'm willing to bet the life of everything on the planet that ICO kicks anything's ass available on the 360.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowoftheColossus
Have fun supporting MS then. And I'm willing to bet the life of everything on the planet that ICO kicks anything's ass available on the 360.
I gave up on the Supporting MS crap as it is a video game system not a cult. Sony has screwed me over way more than MS ever has.

I hate to say it but the original XBox and 360 are outstanding gaming systems.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

ShadowoftheColossus
Baninated
Jan 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

I picked up my copy of ICO from a used videogame store for $15.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 02:47 PM

I picked up Shadow of the Colossus a few weeks ago and have 5 left to beat. It's an amazing game. I've been looking at video game shops for ICO but i can't find it.

maybe ebay

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 03:15 PM

I picked up Ico for $5.99 at a local game trade store after Rob recommended it. For sure one of the best games I've played. I ended up getting SOTC for Christmas but haven't had time to play it yet. Looking forward to it!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 09:43 AM

I got it for my nephew for Christmas. He beat it in three days. I haven't opened mine yet. Too busy playing other games .

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 10:24 AM

Last night i got to the last colossi, but then i had to run out. i'll finish it when i get home from work today.

very good game, i really suggest it to anyone.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 07:56 PM

Well i finally got my hands o nthis game here in Oz. the game is great. the graphics and collosi look great, the "idea" of the game is what im most excited about. havign said that...a few quibbles.....

1. the graphic fidelity although good, if is bit bland....low poly models of characters n environment. extures are tiled on and its pretty obvious. but if u have a slight immigination, ull get over it.

2. the control in the game leaves a lot to be desired. when ur on the horse u haave to keep hitting a button to get it to move. why ? couldnt u just use the analog stick to move in a particular direction ?

3. Camera. good gawd i spent more time trying to get the camera where i wanted it to be than actually moving when climbing up the first mountain. i thought we were at the point where things like that are taken care of.

Having said that, this will be the first PS2 title i play through cause its entertaining, unique and quite stunning in its own right (visual/audio feast) with a whole new gaming experience.

Cheers

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 26, 2006, 11:51 AM

It and several other good games are now only $20!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps2/ps2...ssi-189898.php

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules