Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > somethingawful discovers something awful

somethingawful discovers something awful (Page 2)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:06 PM

So did anyone watch the Apprentice from 2 weeks ago? FOUR people were fired at once. That is far worse than anything that could ever happen in the Lounge.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Warung
I hate when people do this. You tell them something in private and at the most inopportune moment they just blab it out in public.

It's happened here before, and I wonder why they don't have any rules about this, instead of banning 4 letter words and other backwards, prudish crap.

Anywho, most of the people who post here seem to be completely off their rockers...that's why I like this place.

They do, and ive done it to some one, at the time I thought I was helping well trying to help but it made things much worst.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Who are YOU to tell ME what to do?

Why don't you just shut up yourself, Athens?

Because that's what you're telling me to do. Well, I'm not going to just "shut up."

Speaking of which, why didn't YOU PM me about this? Because I'm here. You tell me to PM people yet you're out here making your own comments about how I don't PM?

Seems like the pot is telling the kettle what to do?

Most people here know that they could PM me about a problem and I'd try to help. Including you. I remember you PMing me when your aunt passed away and I was very sympathetic. I'm always sympathetic and stick up for a person I think was wronged. I don't know all of the particulars with XXXXX but I do know that there are *some* people who repeatedly attack people with hatred. It's like a hate crime, actually. I'm afraid of Captain Obvious. I'm saying that publicly because it's a well known fact that he follows my threads to post right afterwards and say terrible things. Others have said, "Be careful, Cody," in response to some of his posts. I'm saying it publicly because I think I should.

Have a nice day, Athens. I truly mean that. I will, so I hope you do too - and I hope you think about what I said.
Because its already out, and others need to see it too, and realize its a sensitive thing and dont tell me to shutup, I was not rude to at all. Jezz you get upset way to easy!

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Because its already out, and others need to see it too, and realize its a sensitive thing and dont tell me to shutup, I was not rude to at all. Jezz you get upset way to easy!
(PMS dude. Just walk away)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
(PMS dude. Just walk away)
When she calms down she will realize I only have the best interest in our mutial friend in mind. Its one thing to say so and so is banned for no good reason stick up for him, its another thing to go into detail about so and so, details mentioned in private not ment to be public, specially with this crowed of users. How long do u think it will take before its thrown back in his face. Like I said I made the mistake and it had bad results, here on this forum. And that was a emotionally stable person, who knows what this can do to some one thats a little less... Dont worry Cody is a cool headed person with typical woman flairups.. we will patch up lol

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2005, 01:47 PM

Enough, discuss this via PM or AIM, but get this conversation and the ensuing spat out of the public eye. And someone PM me the name of the banned member, as it was edited out before I read it and it's tough to do anything about it when you don't know what the hell your supposed to be doing.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2005, 01:57 PM

lol

I wish I was religious person. Sometimes life makes it easy to believe in god.
Maybe depression and genetic degenerative diseases are thrown down here to thin out the herd when god realizes he didn't do such a good job on them. A manufacturer's recall of sorts.

I got a private message from someone too. It said that loon is on one of her kicks again.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

bad_quote
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 01:58 PM

Woah, is he superior than everyone or what?!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 02:01 PM

So, XXXXXXX IMd me last night.

Seems he's a very depressed young man who doesn't have a lot in his life. Smart kid, polite, nice, very depressed. REALLY depressed. I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to do anything stupid.

He's bummed because he's banned from this Lounge. He specifically told me about his life, looking for a job, looking for his way in life, and he's staying with his parents and spends most of his time trying to figure it all out and sleeping. MacNN was an outlet. Yeah, so some of us use it inappropriately and most of the time it's okay.

So, why is XXXXX banned?

Because we've got people like Captain Obvious who repeatedly knocks people around, denegrates them, calls people names, yet XXXXXX is banned and Captain O isn't? I don't get it? I can take being picked on, me, the 30-something old mother, who comes here to chat and see what great things most of you think (and some of you are pretty darn brilliant and nice and you know who you are), but sometimes picking on someone at the Lounge is not cool.

Hey, knock knock, mods?

XXXXXX is bumming out. I hope he's okay out there today - I'm seriously worried about him, both WDLove and me. There's something seriously sad brewing in that kid and you banned him?

Sometimes this place is an outlet, a place to rest a load and chat with people, and *some* people ridicule others, tell them to "shut that gaping hole you call a mouth," among other things, and nothing happens.

Pretty sad.

I'm editing because Athens recommended it. But, if the mods CARE and want to know who it is, IM Athens or Me or WDLove.

I think that is it very nice Cody. You are just showing that you are a very caring person. I'm concerned also.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

You guys are acting just as bad as the tards on something aweful.

You realize that right? (Not referring to Cody or WDlove)

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You guys are acting just as bad as the tards on something aweful.

You realize that right? (Not referring to Cody or WDlove)
Thank you Kevin.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 02:31 PM

Thank you Kevin.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 02:49 PM

I like your smiley, BlueSky.

Thank you, Kevin.

Thank you, WDLove.

Thank you, BlueSky.

Anyway, at least ThinkInsane cares - that was my point.

I hope all of you have a great day.

Bye.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2005, 03:06 PM

Cody: edit your post.
Everyone else: edit your posts.

Problem solved.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
tards on something aweful.

For once we agree.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 05:55 PM

Kevin's statement is thrice-agreed. Anybody who would pay any ammount of money to use a forum is a tard.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2005, 06:23 PM

There's something seriously sad brewing in that kid and you banned him?
Maybe he should see a psychiatrist instead of wasting his time crying about a one among many Mac Web sites.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Maybe he should see a psychiatrist instead of wasting his time crying about a one among many Mac Web sites.

Fu*kin bingo.

Better manners Cody? This isn't your house an we are not your kids.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 5, 2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
... This isn't your house an we are not your kids.
If there ever was a scary thought ...

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2005, 11:06 PM

There's far more to SA's forums than The Firing Range and FYAD, folks.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 11:16 PM

*sigh* this thread had so much potential...

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 6, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Of course if Chuckit was ever banned, we'd see a different tune.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I could not disagree more with you. Thankfully a few of them seem to have understood their own part in this tragedy.
They're projecting drama onto themselves. They understand nothing.
You are responsible for your actions.
Yes, you are responsible for your actions. But you are trying to paint them as responsible for his actions. This kid chose to kill. He could have chosen not to kill; billions of people, even among undiagnosed psychopaths, make that decision every day. I am not saying that the people on SA aren't assholes -indeed, that's much of the point of their site- but they did not cause him in any way to do this. From the look of it, the kid had already made his decision to go commit this murder when he posted. He only had the one obstacle left of not being able to find buckshot, and he decieved them into giving them the information he needed.

Yes, I say they were deceived. That, perhaps more than anything else save the fact that they in no way influenced his decision, absolves them of any responsibility for his actions.
I can't tell you how much I dislike the attitude that says: "Oh, it was on the internet, don't take it too seriously".
Why not? As someone who was bullied in school, I know exactly how difficult it is to not take bullying too seriously, but I also know exactly how important it is to learn how to do it. That goes for any medium, not just the Internet.
Or, "Oh it was on SA, everybody knows they don't mean what they say".
If you know anything about SomethingAwful, you know that in fact they don't mean anything they say. The entire point of the site is letting loose in a stream of uncontrolled sarcasm and asshattery. There is no way the kid couldn't have known this, because openly admitted to being a frequent visitor to the site.

Frankly, I think that's why he chose to exploit them. He knew exactly how to get them to give him the information without realizing just what they were doing.
The internet is just another means of communications, nothing more, nothing less.
So is television, but that doesn't mean I'm going to watch Comedy Central to get the latest news on science, or the Cartoon Network for information on building a swimming pool.
Your actions have consequences.
You're talking about causality. The point of free will is that it breaks causality; you can no longer be certain what the consequences of a given action will be the second you start involving people. They had no way to know that this would happen.
('You' being used in general terms here, not to attack you, Millenium)
I appreciate the sentiment, but there's no need to worry about attacking me. I've been known to use very strong and accusatory language in my own arguments, particularly when I see the possibility of someone advocating censorship, so to get angry when someone sounds like they're attacking me would be hypocritical.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

meelk
Baninated
Nov 6, 2005, 06:18 PM

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 6, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by boston.com article
"William Freund, 19, had no more success finding companionship online than he had in high school, ..."
Where "Freund" is the German word for "friend", as if this story wasn't bizarre enough to begin with ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules