Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Opening jpeg files from desktop

Opening jpeg files from desktop
bigbobs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 11:42 AM

Using Apple iMac system 9.2.2

I have a jpeg file on my desktop and double click it. I get a choice of programs to open the file: Simple Sound, Picture Viewer, Presto Page Manager, iTunes, Movie Player, etc. I want Photoshop Elements to open it, and I want that to be one of the choices available.
I can open Elements and browse the desktop and open the jpeg file, so no problem there.
But, how do I get the choice by double clicking the jpeg icon on the desktop? I guess I have to insert Photoshop Elements in a selection file somewhere. But where?

Bob

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by bigbobs:
Using Apple iMac system 9.2.2

I have a jpeg file on my desktop and double click it. I get a choice of programs to open the file: Simple Sound, Picture Viewer, Presto Page Manager, iTunes, Movie Player, etc. I want Photoshop Elements to open it, and I want that to be one of the choices available.
I can open Elements and browse the desktop and open the jpeg file, so no problem there.
But, how do I get the choice by double clicking the jpeg icon on the desktop? I guess I have to insert Photoshop Elements in a selection file somewhere. But where?

Bob
As you probably know, the classic Mac OS uses metadata to store filetype and creator codes, and apparently Photoshop Elements isn't designed to accept the JPEG creator code. It probably can open it, but if it isn't specified in the applications resource fork, you can't drag-and-drop the file, neither will the application appear in the list of applications to open it with.

I can think of two solutions from the top of my head:

1) Download Filetyper which includes Autotyper, and use that to make a simple application that changes the type and creator codes of the JPEG files to Elements. That's the easy way.

2) You can also add the JPEG filetype to PE manually with ResEdit. That's a bit more complicated unless you're familiar with ResEdit and comfortable with poking around resource forks. Post a response if you want to know more about that.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 14, 2003, 10:12 PM

Rebuild the Desktop file. (Restart, and immediately after the parade of icons finish, hold down the command and option keys till you get asked whether you want to rebuild the desktop. You do.)

tooki

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 11:44 PM

tooki, does rebuilding the desktop really solve bigbobs problem?

Anyway...

bigbobs, here�s my suggestion...
Step 1 (You will only have to do Step 1 once)
-Open 'Script Editor' and paste the following code into the Script Editor window
Code:
on open these_items tell application "Finder" try repeat with current_file in these_items set the creator type of current_file to "8BIM" end repeat end try end tell end open
-Choose 'Save As...' from the File Menu
-Name the file you are creating, I chose 'Change to Photoshop File'
-From the 'Format' drop-down list, choose 'Application'
-Click 'Save'

Step 2
-Drag the file(s) you want Photoshop to open, by default, onto the Applescript droplet you just created.

NOTE : ONLY DROP FILES THAT YOU WANT PHOTOSHOP TO OPEN, BY DEFAULT, ONTO THIS DROPLET!!!

This will do exactly what Filetyper does, except you don�t have to pay a shareware fee. Although, Filetyper lets you change many different attributes of a file that this droplet doesn't.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

edit : Using my suggestion doesn't give you a choice of which application to open your file with. Any file that you drag-and-drop onto this droplet will automatically open in Photoshop when double-clicked.
( Last edited by Speckledstone; Apr 19, 2003 at 03:06 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules