Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 8 CD-ROM <free> or cheap replacment?

Mac OS 8 CD-ROM <free> or cheap replacment?
swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 09:45 PM

Can I get a cheap or free replacement for a non functional OS 8 CD-ROM? It doesn't read or boot on any pc and it looks like some of the "reflective stuff" is falling off.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 01:24 PM

PCs (Windows, specifically) can't read Mac formatted volumes (CDs, hard drives, floppies, etc.) Unless by PC you really meant Mac, in which case please disregard this paragraph.

Anyway, I'd check eBay and the back pages of Mac magazines for cheap OS 8 CDs. You could try contacting Apple, but I wouldn't think they still have this stuff around. Worth a try I suppose.

swichd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
PCs (Windows, specifically) can't read Mac formatted volumes (CDs, hard drives, floppies, etc.) Unless by PC you really meant Mac, in which case please disregard this paragraph.

Anyway, I'd check eBay and the back pages of Mac magazines for cheap OS 8 CDs. You could try contacting Apple, but I wouldn't think they still have this stuff around. Worth a try I suppose.
Yeah, I know, I was using isobuster, which reads the raw sectors on the cd and HFS Explorer, which can read mac disks. BTW: there was a dll that integrated with Windows allowing HFS volumes (Mac disks) to be read like FAT volumes (PC disks). I cannot remember the name since I haven't used it for 4 years.

swichd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 08:49 PM

It doesn't read in my powerbook either.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by swichd:
Can I get a cheap or free replacement for a non functional OS 8 CD-ROM? It doesn't read or boot on any pc and it looks like some of the "reflective stuff" is falling off.
EBAY....I was just looking for a OS 8 Cd the other day, they're around $10, if I remember correctly, might be a little more or a little less, that's your best bet.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules