Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to clean the inside of my iMac G4

How to clean the inside of my iMac G4
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 02:27 AM

This is going to sound really stupid, but a small critter crawled into my iMac G4 from the bottom holes. Thanks to a friend, I have become absolutely paranoid that it is going to destroy my computer. Any suggestions on how to get it out of there?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 09:37 AM

Assuming he or she may be classified an arthropod, I wouldn't worry about it. There's probably a lot more in there that you didn't happen to see crawl in. Imagine that. As far as I know, there are no insects small enough to fit into the vents of a G4, and indigenous to the great lakes area, that enjoy the taste of computer components. The main draw for such creatures is the darkness, the warmth, and the safety that Apple unwittingly offer in this particular model of Macintosh. If it doesn't die and turn to dust before you get it out (which it probably will), if you are that worried about it I would try tempting it out with food. Try a piece of sugary fruit. Insects like fruit.

If this doesn't work, seriously, don't worry. I once opened up someone's PC to install a graphics card and found a dead mouse in there amongst other things. Been there a good long while by the looks of it. Woodlice and the like is also very common. They do no harm, I promise.
( Last edited by Ozzpot; Jun 29, 2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typo)
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 11:02 AM

Yay... I feel better now... I did manage to tip my iMac over an look into the little holes with a flashlight... its crazy dusty in there... would a compressed air can be able to clean that? or just make it worse...?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 11:04 AM

Dishwasher ?

-t

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 11:39 AM

lol. I have it on good authority that someone once put an iBook in the dishwasher after spilling cola all over it. They figured they couldn't possibly fook the thing more than it already was, and it is only really the sugar that really does the damage (as long as the thing isn't on at the time of spillage and short out).

It was out of warranty so they thought "what the hell!". They gave it a good wash in the dishwasher, and then dried it in the airing cupboard (don't know what Americans would call this) for a fortnight. When it was fully dry, they charged it up and and it booted up fine!

For how long it worked I don't know though.

As far as the compressed air goes, yeah that's fine. the more dust you can get out of there the more room there is for air to circulate, which means your mac will be cooler and healthier. You will have to find a way of blowing the dust OUT though, rather than just around. That would be a complete waste of time.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

runningdog
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 02:59 PM

For the most part canned air does work pretty good or so i thought. My combo drive is going bad and i had opened up my iMac G4 a couple of weeks ago in hopes that some oil on the rails might help. Well i was absolutely surprised at how filthy the internals were. Dust bunnies galore. i really wouldn't worry about the bug and it's probably moved on or will soon. Only open the iMac G4 if you have thermal paste on hand and are familiar with working with it. It's a bit tricky putting it all back together but not bad. Unfortunately i'll have to replace the drive. It will read cds now but not dvds and it's still prone to sticking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules