Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 10.5 Screenshots: Real or fake?

10.5 Screenshots: Real or fake?
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 12:10 AM

Some supposed screenshots of 10.5 got leaked today. They show Internet Explorer 7 running under a kind of Classic layer, but for Windows. They also show virtual desktops.

http://trinityrubicon.blogspot.com/2...reenshots.html

I think the solid background is suspicious. I give an 85% chance these are real. I don't know much about what is coming in 10.5 (No, really?), but the new Aqua is consistent with what Apple is doing, and this happened before with the leaked 10.4 screenshots and no one believe those. Besides, Apple has to find some way to screw some Mac developers every major release of OS X.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 12:16 AM

Totally fake.

Take a look at the alignment of the "Windows" label in "About This Mac". The "5" in "10.5" also looks a bit off.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 12:16 AM

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 12:20 AM

Virtual desktops by Apple? Unlikely.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
To rebut:

1) The "Explorer Note" location is correct. It was moved in IE7.
2) Running inside Win32 would give you Win32 fonts, just like running in Classic gave you Classic fonts.
3) See #2 for rebutal against window title font.
4) The Alt + underlining doesn't mean anything. That's programmed into IE7. You'd expect it would be in IE7 on a Mac.
5) Transparent icon doesn't bother me either. That could just be an incomplete Windows icon parser.
6) The text positioning in the About dialog box is a good point, but having beta tested OS X for many many years, I've seen much worse text positioning in betas.

I see two other things that make me suspicious. In the virtual desktops screenshot the finder window inside the 2nd desktop, and the one on the first desktop show two different hard drive sizes. This could be because the second partition is selected in the inner one, or a mistake made in Photoshop. Also I can't believe Apple would ever name a technology "CoreWindows", but then again I couldn't believe Apple would do "widgets".
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 12:31 AM

You can't see the HD size in the first one, but on the second one, it's obvious that it's the same partition (You can see the "HD" from "Macintosh HD" in the title bar)

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 12:33 AM

You can't see the HD size in the first one, but on the second one, it's obvious that it's the same partition (You can see the "HD" from "Macintosh HD" in the title bar)
You're right, but I actually made a mistake. I thought the B on the end of the foreground Finder window was really an 8, but it's just the B from "GB". You can't actually see the size of the drive.

We'll know whether this is real or not when Apple's lawyers wake up to Steve's phone call tomorrow I guess.

MM-o4
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 12:39 AM

tabbed finder window would R O C K ! 1 !

fake az

MM

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 12:47 AM

See, the thing is a faked one should look too perfect. Someone faking a screenshot wouldn't do things like have slightly different fonts for the Windows window and the OS X window. They'd make sure it was the exact same font so that people wouldn't doubt the screenshot. Anyone who went through this much trouble to make a fake 10.5 screen would have made sure the menu title fonts matched. It looks more like a mid-development change in title bar fonts that hasn't spread across the various boxes yet. Notice the one being used for the Windows title bar is Apple's current corporate font.

Either that or it really is fake. : shrug :

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 01:19 AM

Friend noted a problem with the About This Mac dialog. It should say DDR2 instead of DDR. Also the dock looks off.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
To rebut:

1) The "Explorer Note" location is correct. It was moved in IE7.
2) Running inside Win32 would give you Win32 fonts, just like running in Classic gave you Classic fonts.
3) See #2 for rebutal against window title font.
4) The Alt + underlining doesn't mean anything. That's programmed into IE7. You'd expect it would be in IE7 on a Mac.
5) Transparent icon doesn't bother me either. That could just be an incomplete Windows icon parser.
6) The text positioning in the About dialog box is a good point, but having beta tested OS X for many many years, I've seen much worse text positioning in betas.

I see two other things that make me suspicious. In the virtual desktops screenshot the finder window inside the 2nd desktop, and the one on the first desktop show two different hard drive sizes. This could be because the second partition is selected in the inner one, or a mistake made in Photoshop. Also I can't believe Apple would ever name a technology "CoreWindows", but then again I couldn't believe Apple would do "widgets".
I agree with all those points.

Also of note, everyone thought the real press photos of the Powermac cube were fake, and people pointed out so many things "wrong" with them, and they then turned out to be true. So all those who take a glance and scream fake should keep an open mind.

-Owl

Jeff Lebowski
Jun 23, 2006, 01:30 AM

Friend noted a problem with the About This Mac dialog. It should say DDR2 instead of DDR. Also the dock looks off.
Oh yeah. How could I have missed that? The Core Duo cannot run on DDR, making that a fake.

Also- there's a battery indicator on the bar, but the screen resolution is way to high to be that of a laptop.

Case closed.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Oh yeah. How could I have missed that? The Core Duo cannot run on DDR, making that a fake.

Also- there's a battery indicator on the bar, but the screen resolution is way to high to be that of a laptop.

Case closed.
The screen resolution by rough guesstimate would fit a Macbook Pro 17". The DDR/DDR2 thing could be a work in progress issue, seen that sort of thing before in OS X betas.

The only other thing that worries me is that the second screenshot of the effect could easily be a desktop background. Doesn't mean it is, but it just raises a bit more suspicion, like the DDR thing.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 02:22 AM

Definitely interesting... my gut instinct is that it's a fake, though I wouldn't mind all that much if it weren't. I like tabbed Finder!!!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 02:26 AM

Yes we need a finder that mimics todays browser interfaces. Then we could finally have an OS that lives up to Windows high design standards.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

misc
Jun 23, 2006, 03:06 AM

To rebut:

According to the "About This Mac" the Windows partition is running XP.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 03:39 AM

... Also- there's a battery indicator on the bar, but the screen resolution is way to high to be that of a laptop.

Case closed.
Uhmmm, dual head desktop anyone?!?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 04:42 AM

So the great finder overhaul is tabs, a bookmarks bar, and itunes look? I highly doubt this.

You'd think the person would try to show off more 'new' features in their screenshot.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by euphras
... Also- there's a battery indicator on the bar, but the screen resolution is way to high to be that of a laptop.

Case closed.
Uhmmm, dual head desktop anyone?!?
Or the resolution independence stuff that wasn't quite ready for prime-time in Tiger...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 07:16 AM

The new "Address Book" icon is interesting in the dock.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
The new "Address Book" icon is interesting in the dock.
Why would the Address Book show the date?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 07:21 AM

If that is as exciting as 10.5 is going to get I am switching to Vista.

It is stupid fake.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 07:28 AM

I'm gonna go with: "It's real".

What makes me think that? The directory level button next to the "action sprocket" shows a "/". That's either real or some good forward thinking on the part of the shopper.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 07:49 AM

I don't think they'd use a virtual-desktop switching effect that made it seem like the various desktops are stacked on top of each other, like that stupid "trippy keyhole" effect does. It's probably easier to remember which desktop you want to go to next if you think of them as connected at the edges. Plus that effect is fugly and makes me think of ******.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 23, 2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
Why not? I think virtualization is much more likely than Apple shipping a dual boot app to run Windows on Macs, and we all know what happened there.

In fact, the possibility of virtualization in 10.5 (and the fact that I can use dual-booting for now), is why I haven't bothered paying for Parallels at this point.

So yes, I expect several, if not all, of these features in 10.5:

1) Improved Finder
2) Virtualization
3) Resolution independence
4) Quartz 2D Extreme
5) Better dual-boot application

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I don't think they'd use a virtual-desktop switching effect that made it seem like the various desktops are stacked on top of each other, like that stupid "trippy keyhole" effect does. It's probably easier to remember which desktop you want to go to next if you think of them as connected at the edges.
Wouldn't that confuse people, fast user switching wise?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 08:06 AM

I think you mean g0@tse, someone mentioned that in the comments. If I'm not mistaken the effect used to switch desktops is an effect available in iMovie, making it very believeable.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 08:09 AM

I don't think it would make any difference at all what effect was used in terms of the confusion factor. I don't happen to like that effect much, but it's always possible that 10.5 will allow a choice of effects used for fast user switching and switching between virtual desktops or whatever.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the Cube effect for 10.4.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I don't think it would make any difference at all what effect was used in terms of the confusion factor.
What I meant was: Fast user switching is already an "edge" effect, so it'd make sense that Apple (who're always trying to simplify things for the end user) would go for a "non-edge" effect for the virtual desktop switching.

DarwinX
Jun 23, 2006, 08:14 AM

I'm going on the fake side. That isn't seriously IE 7 running is it? Look here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...promo_b1xp.jpg

The icons after the URL box and Search boxes are all aquafied...makes me think more of it as a IE 7 Theme for Firefox or something. Maybe I'm way off, just food for thought.

*Edit*

Or is that to imply that the Windows API has been built in and somehow still gets the Mac GUI. That seems like it would be really hard to achieve no?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 08:15 AM

The fact that this is the most boring looking OS on the planet should be indication that it is fake.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The fact that this is the most boring looking OS on the planet should be indication that it is fake.

It looks like Tiger with a solid background. Are you calling Tiger "the most boring looking OS on the planet"?

I do agree there are a few problems with those pix in terms of believability, but "boring" isn't one of them.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
Why not? I think virtualization is much more likely...
virtual desktops ≠ virtualization; I think the latter is more likely than the former. I think lpkmckenna thinks virtual desktops (i.e. workspaces) are unlikely, just because Apple surely would've done it by now if they'd wanted to.

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I think you mean g0@tse, someone mentioned that in the comments...
'Tis what I meant. Forgot it was in the cuss filter.

I think folks could get used to 2 different edge effects, like Cube vs. Slide, meaning different switches pretty easily. But I still don't think Apple wants to give us multiple desktops. Just what they've got against it, I'm not sure, but they've been steadfast in resisting it through the first 5 iterations of OS X.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 23, 2006, 08:46 AM

It looks like Tiger with a solid background. Are you calling Tiger "the most boring looking OS on the planet"?

I do agree there are a few problems with those pix in terms of believability, but "boring" isn't one of them.
Yes actually, since vista is flashy but ugly, tiger is boring and if 10.5 is as boring as that i will nooooot be happy.

Vista comes along with all these neat visuals and 10.5's big seller is that the shitty finder now has tabs and the address book is red and shows the date.... oh and we can run crappy windows software on it.

zzzzz

"Hello, what have we here?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 08:47 AM

Supposed Leopard:

Tiger:

Given what Tiger looks like, I would have expected pretty much exactly what's in those supposed 10.5 screengrabs. Leopard is a simple evolution of Tiger in terms of aesthetics with a few more effects and tweaks, but gets a lot more under the hood.

P.S. Despite the oddities in my Tiger screengrab, it is 100% real.

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
virtual desktops ≠ virtualization; I think the latter is more likely than the former. I think lpkmckenna thinks virtual desktops (i.e. workspaces) are unlikely, just because Apple surely would've done it by now if they'd wanted to.

'Tis what I meant. Forgot it was in the cuss filter.

I think folks could get used to 2 different edge effects, like Cube vs. Slide, meaning different switches pretty easily. But I still don't think Apple wants to give us multiple desktops. Just what they've got against it, I'm not sure, but they've been steadfast in resisting it through the first 5 iterations of OS X.
Oh, I see. I was thinking about virtual desktops in the context of virtualized OSes.

Mind you, now that I think about it, if they had virtual desktops that way, they may as well have virtual desktops across the board. And I don't think that's necessarily something Apple will continue to ignore.

ie. What I might have expected last year in terms of probability for 10.5: Virtualization > virtual desktops >>> dual-boot for Windows XP.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 23, 2006 at 03:37 PM. )

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Wouldn't that confuse people, fast user switching wise?
No, most people don't use fast user switching. Just like fast user switching, the only people that will need to use it will be those that want to use it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:08 AM

Doesn't everyone remember when 10.4 screenshots leaked and were scrutinized? Textual alignments off, etc.? And then when they were revealed to be real...

Not that these are, but some of the nitpicks don't make a difference in validity.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:18 AM

Given what Tiger looks like, I would have expected pretty much exactly what's in those supposed 10.5 screengrabs.
Apple has made remarks about how when they show 10.5 it will be way way way above the competition. Tabs in the horrible finder don't say that to me.

If that crap above is real I'll buy you a copy of 10.5 eug.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Doesn't everyone remember when 10.4 screenshots leaked and were scrutinized? Textual alignments off, etc.? And then when they were revealed to be real...

Not that these are, but some of the nitpicks don't make a difference in validity.
Very good point. I wouldn't be surprised if it were real. Who knows... I think it's funny that SWG said he would switch to Vista if it is...

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
I'm going on the fake side. That isn't seriously IE 7 running is it? Look here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...promo_b1xp.jpg

The icons after the URL box and Search boxes are all aquafied...makes me think more of it as a IE 7 Theme for Firefox or something. Maybe I'm way off, just food for thought.

*Edit*

Or is that to imply that the Windows API has been built in and somehow still gets the Mac GUI. That seems like it would be really hard to achieve no?
That's an old screenshot. I'm running IE7 on my XP box and the buttons look the same as in the "10.5" screenshot.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by misc
According to the "About This Mac" the Windows partition is running XP.
Sorry, I'm not sure I see your point. A Win32 program such as IE7 would still use Win32 fonts under a Classic like layer for Windows.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
If that crap above is real I'll buy you a copy of 10.5 eug.
Schweet!

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I think it's funny that SWG said he would switch to Vista if it is...
Heh.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Very good point. I wouldn't be surprised if it were real. Who knows... I think it's funny that SWG said he would switch to Vista if it is...
I'll buy you a copy of vista also

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2006, 09:36 AM

Supposed Leopard:

Tiger:

Given what Tiger looks like, I would have expected pretty much exactly what's in those supposed 10.5 screengrabs. Leopard is a simple evolution of Tiger in terms of aesthetics with a few more effects and tweaks, but gets a lot more under the hood.

P.S. Despite the oddities in my Tiger screengrab, it is 100% real.

Oh, I see. I was thinking about virtual desktops in the context of virtualized OSes.

Mind you, now that I think about it, if they had virtual desktops that way, they may as well have virtual desktops across the board. And I don't think that's necessarily something Apple will continue to ignore.

ie. What I might have expected last year in terms of probability for 10.5: Virtualization > virtual desktops >>> dual-boot for Windows XP.
So, how's your 0 MHz G4 running?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
It didn't take long for somebody to pick that up.

It's running pretty well. I'm typing on it right now. (It's a Cube with a 1.7 GHz G4 7447A upgrade.)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Haha, I was thinking that too.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:45 AM

I just realized, you should get some credit. Good job matching the dock icon for icon.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:51 AM

The fact that eug and the fake 10.5 look pretty much exactly the same proves to me that it is fake.

Nothing like selling someone something they already have (that's nintendo's job).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I just realized, you should get some credit. Good job matching the dock icon for icon.
Heh. Too bad I didn't have GarageBand or Photobooth (or IE) installed.

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
The fact that eug and the fake 10.5 look pretty much exactly the same proves to me that it is fake.

Nothing like selling someone something they already have (that's nintendo's job).
You could pretty much do the same thing for 10.3 Panther (sans Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.).

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 09:56 AM

Heh. Too bad I didn't have GarageBand or Photobooth (or IE) installed.
Yeah, I knew I couldn't bitch about photobooth.

However upon further inspection, you didn't match the menu or titlebars...

Forum Links
Forum Rules