Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > stop iphoto from resizing after edit

stop iphoto from resizing after edit
kjbee
Jun 9, 2007, 09:41 PM

Can't seem to figure this one out...

I avoid iphoto, as I like to just organize my images myself in finder with automator. But on occasion, I use iphoto to fix a red eye, brighten an image, whatever (don't have photoshop. still dreaming that one day I will). But it seems that when I do that, the modified image that is then created is a smaller image. How do I get it to make the new, edited image the same size (pixels) as the old one? Can't seem to get a fix on how much smaller the size is, even -- seems like sometimes its a little -- a loss of 100px or so both ways, sometimes the new pic is teensy -- like 400px wide total or something. Once I push done, it's tiny. Any ideas?

And if you tell me to buy photoshop, I will hit you.

 MacBook 2,1 - 13.3" - Snow Leopard (rawr)
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/SuperDrive/4GB RAM (Crucial)/
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate Momentus)/
500GB External HD (MyBook)

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 10, 2007, 02:39 AM

That is unusual. I have used iPhoto to enhance a lot of photos, and it has never changed the size.

kjbee  (op)
Jun 10, 2007, 07:56 AM

upon further investigation, i think it may not actually (always?) be the pixel size, but the picture quality. i tend to notice it when i set the image i've just edited as my desktop image - after iphoto edits it's pixely. does this have to do with modifying the image and saving as a jpeg? i can't figure out how ot automatically have it save as anything but jpeg after you push 'done' though. you can export to whatever file format, but that's after the fact, so you seem to have already lost some quality.

still though, one image i edited yesterday, the new image is 270 x 360. the original is 2272 x 1704. gah.

do i need to post examples? this really is driving me insane. (as is having to delete all of iphoto's duplicates after i make changes and move the edited file to a non-buried directory - but i digress...).

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 11, 2007, 01:22 AM

iPhoto will save .png files as .png.

kjbee  (op)
Jun 11, 2007, 07:09 AM

...ok...my camera (canon SD600) creates jpgs. I'm missing your point...are you saying there is some way to make it import as png and then save as png when you push 'done'?

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kjbee View Post
still though, one image i edited yesterday, the new image is 270 x 360. the original is 2272 x 1704. gah.
iPhoto certainly does not do that on it's own.

How are you getting the edited versions out of iPhoto? I'm guessing you're trying to use the Finder and iPhoto together and that you grabbed the thumbnail by mistake.

Find something else to edit your photos if you want to use the Finder to manage them. I suggest Graphic Converter. Mac photo editing, Mac photo software, Mac photo-editing - GraphicConverter

kjbee  (op)
Jun 11, 2007, 11:33 AM

That's possible, I suppose. I go to the iphoto/library/data/2007/roll whatever etcetc folder and move the file that I thought was the image into the correct finder folder (that I made and manage). maybe i'm grabbing the wrong thing?

I do have graphic converter - originally downloaded it for resizing things (as an Irfanview (PC) replacement). I'll have to fool around with it some more - I had not thought of it as an iphoto replacement. I know ur not supposed to 'use' iphoto's stuff in finder, just the library, but I still use a PC some, and the rest of my family has PCs, so it gets messy with the iphoto library. Finder files are much easier to deal with for me. Maybe I can even work Graphic Converter into my getting pics workflow...hmm...

Thanks. I'll check this out when I get home and hopefully my problem will be fixed.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 12:21 PM

The images in the "data" folder are the thumbnails. The modified images are in the "modified" folder while the unmodified originals are in the "originals" folder. Anyway, don't use the Finder to grab the images. Just drag them out of the iPhoto window onto the Desktop or wherever else you want to have a copy.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:55 PM

...And if you tell me to buy photoshop, I will hit you.
I found this link of free programs years ago and it's still great. Scroll down and you'll find Seashore and Gimp which are great for photo editing (Seashore is more Mac-like) along with a photo organizing program (I never tried it though).

kjbee  (op)
Jun 11, 2007, 11:23 PM

cgc: I'll check out Seashore. I have Gimp but am not too crazy about it for photo editing. Maybe I should give that another try. Thanks for the link.

TETENAL: Didn't know you could drag things rt out of iphoto...thats a bit of a help as far as moving/finding the right thing.

seems this is my problem though. OK - I get saving the orignals and modified versions (tho I stilam forced to delete these since I save them elsewhere) -- but the Data folder is only these thumbnails. Geez. too many files!

thanks everyone.

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 02:03 AM

...ok...my camera (canon SD600) creates jpgs. I'm missing your point...are you saying there is some way to make it import as png and then save as png when you push 'done'?
I mean that I can drop a .png file onto iPhoto, enhance it, then drag it out of iPhoto to the desktop and it is still a .png.

Forum Links
Forum Rules